Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14232425 LastLast

Thread: Prettiest boat under thirty feet

Default Re: Prettiest boat under thirty feet

Subjective aesthetics are just that, completely personal and not always ( like many other things) rational.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Subjective aesthetics are just that, completely personal and not always ( like many other things) rational.

Agreed. And on that note I've never seen a better looking boat than my Scamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Oyster8.jpgOyster9-1.jpg What about the first boat I built? Lots of heavy spars, plenty of spaghetti, ehh.. ropes, a real gaff cutter, 22 ft and 3,6 ton

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Oyster8.jpgOyster9-1.jpg What about the first boat I built? Lots of heavy spars, plenty of spaghetti, ehh.. ropes, a real gaff cutter, 22 ft and 3,6 ton
    I like that one too! Let's not spoil with the details... too many heads will explode!
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Here is the sexy (pretty is subjective here) Esse 850. A modern sportsboat - I'd add a port-a-potty, a single burner stove and comfortable v-berth cushions. At 2600 lbs it can be towed with a decent SUV and the rig set up in an hour with 2 people.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-31-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

If I'm not mistaken the Esse 850 is a fiberglass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Here is the sexy (pretty is subjective here) Esse 850. A modern sportsboat - I'd add a port-a-potty, a single burner stove and comfortable v-berth cushions. At 2600 lbs it can be towed with a decent SUV and the rig set up in an hour with 2 people.

not my kind of thing, looks the same as every other plastic sports boat. If I could afford one those I’d get a nice racing dinghy a camper van / mobile home.

I love those square head sails, must be fun to sail them. A serious toy .

I'd love to spend a weekend regatta with one, but I don't reckon it'd be fun to spend several nights offshore in it. O'd love to try a modern fathead rig!

From white plastic sports boats to will something wooden and graceful
    https://www.facebook.com/bazadeski/v...6160117127691/

hope the link works

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    From white plastic sports boats to will something wooden and graceful
    https://www.facebook.com/bazadeski/v...6160117127691/

hope the link works
    Certainly graceful but white plastic (ABS, I believe - an interesting and unusual choice). They do seem to have added a slightly larger wooden version to the range though.

I think it is wonderful that they have moved forward from bold experimentation (proas and the Baltic don't seem an obvious match!) to offering a commercial product, best of luck to them.

Sure, but on the other hand didn't people like Fife, Francis Herreshoff and Watson, along with great painters and architects like Da Vinci, strive to find a form of aesthetics that wasn't entirely subjective? Can't we find some common ground among boats that are generally considered to be beautiful and analyse it to find some framework or hints?

Is this

Hillbilly houseboat.jpg

really as beautiful

Mariquita.jpg

as this?

Is this....

Sebago.jpg

as pretty as Jim or your Dias design? Surely the difference between these boats is not entirely subjective, and surely that means something about the way we can look at boats. Otherwise, all discussions on aesthetics are no more than a bunch of people saying they like or dislike a boat.
    Last edited by Chris249; 08-01-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    not my kind of thing, looks the same as every other plastic sports boat.
    On the other hand, to me it looks very different - proportionately much lower slimmer than most of them, much more graceful. At 28ft loa, it has about the same beam as a Melges 20 or J/70, which seems to mean it's a very different sort of sportboat.

I do agree with you about preferring a campervan and a dinghy, though! :-)
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Much as I'd like to give a definitive answer, definitions of "subjective beauty" are be beyond my ability and certainly my vocabulary. So I'll wriggle sideways and offer another entry for this
    thread. An Albert Strange 28 footer.

OretegalPhoto4.jpg

Ortegal 6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-01-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    Grateful Dead

I don't really think there's an answer to that. Some people really love those big GRP cruisers, for example, whereas many of us think they're incredibly ugly. How can you, sort of, codify that? Maybe the answer, if there is one, is a matter of consensus - most people who are X like boats that are Y. Context is a factor too - fashions change.

In other words, I haven't the foggiest idea whether the aesthetics of boats can be rendered objectively or not! I think there are a lot of really beautiful boats on this thread!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Certainly graceful but white plastic (ABS, I believe - an interesting and unusual choice). They do seem to have added a slightly larger wooden version to the range though.

I think it is wonderful that they have moved forward from bold experimentation (proas and the Baltic don't seem an obvious match!) to offering a commercial product, best of luck to them.
    I stand corrected the Laguna does indeed have a plastic hull,

http://www.pjoa.eu/#about-us

and yes best of luck to them, it is hard and hit and miss for the majors introducing small craft, a small company with such an unconventional craft is going to find it tough

I can only imagine that proas developed in the Baltic from lack of materials and a lot of hard work by a small number of dedicated people, they have been having proa meetings for a number of years.

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/

Those sky-light hatches either side of the compaionway are a delightfull touch.

Grateful Dead

So you are nominating a Bolger boat

Bolger could combine his remorseless functionality with great beauty. Witness the Gloucester Gull. #823 is pretty and perky.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    So you are nominating a Bolger boat
    I am , Blueberry is quite delightful. My favorite chine boat.
    Grateful Dead

He could, but he often didn't. The Gull does have sweet lines, but a simpler boat would be hard to come by.

DSC_0628.jpghttp://forum.woodenboat.com/asset.php?fid=9990&uid=10890&d=1518791167

DSC_0628.jpgDSC_0580.jpg I like Blueberry and built Gloucester Gull but this is my favo chined Bolger boat. I think she looks actually better then the lapstrake version

Certainly graceful but white plastic.
    OK, how 'bout a wooden one?

ProaSailing.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    Perhaps the only thing worse than changing the rules (shameless behavior mooted by sawcutmill and ruthlessly exploited by Don Z.) is to offer a boat for which I can't find an online illustration. A.R. Luke drew his 20' LWL TEAL design in the 1930's. Uffa Fox featured her in one of his books. It's always difficult if not impossible to choose a favorite, but she's very pretty indeed.

NB Admittedly her LOA is a scant six-inches over the flouted 30' criteria.
    Here’s a TEAL that needs rescuing - http://www.coburgbrokers.com/lal.html

Not sure what the “careful restoration work” amounted to, but perhaps worth a look by our UK brethren.

A much nicer (cleaner and less mucked about) example was sold by Wooden Ships some years ago - http://www.woodenships.co.uk/sailing...al-one-design/

DSC_0198.jpgDSC_0093.jpgDSC_0150.jpgReplica shipboats of the Willem Barents, expeditionship from 1596 that went to sea to find a seaway to India via the northern route around Russia. In Harlingen a replica of the original ship is being built.
    We made 2 trips in these boat to commemorate the voyage

Much as I'd like to give a definitive answer, definitions of "subjective beauty" are be beyond my ability and certainly my vocabulary. So I'll wriggle sideways and offer another entry for this
    thread. An Albert Strange 28 footer.

OretegalPhoto4.jpg

Ortegal 6.jpg
    I do love Strange Boats!
    Jay

I'll throw this one in:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post

I dunno, in some ways it feels unfair to class a (IMHO) dumpy short-ended high-freeboard gaffer as equal in beauty to a 30 Square Metre and then to sneer at a Macgregor 26. From some sort of objective viewpoint, quite a few wooden boats look short, dumpy, over-done, and a bit bleagh. That doesn't mean they are not admirable, lovable and wonderful, but it does mean that they are not objectively beautiful from some aspects and often come close to being a caricature.

The above struck a chord when objectively looking at my Wee Barkie. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder it can than becomes an aesthetic emotional response . Pleasure elicited by viewing or enjoyment derived from a pretty boat is also dependent on its comprehensibility or ability to be understood easily by others.

The relationship development between a vessel and an owner also has wide reaching implications on his feelings for her. Is she sturdy , trouble ,free sea kindly and fast or a poor investment?

Here is another picture of Wee Barkie just after arrival prior to the QCYC Vintage Regatta , and to think I used to refer to her as my fat little caravan.

[IMG]unlimited image hosting[/IMG]

Here she is racing in a four race series at the Queensland Cruising YC in which she took out 1st place on handicap in the small Keelboat Division last weekend.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll throw this one in:

Very unusual Clarkey, looks to me like it would have some fishing / working heritage ,where's that design from?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Sure, but on the other hand didn't people like Fife, Francis Herreshoff and Watson, along with great painters and architects like Da Vinci, strive to find a form of aesthetics that wasn't entirely subjective? Can't we find some common ground among boats that are generally considered to be beautiful and analyse it to find some framework or hints?

Is this

Hillbilly houseboat.jpg

really as beautiful

Mariquita.jpg

as this?

Is this....

Sebago.jpg

as pretty as Jim or your Dias design? Surely the difference between these boats is not entirely subjective, and surely that means something about the way we can look at boats. Otherwise, all discussions on aesthetics are no more than a bunch of people saying they like or dislike a boat.
    I don't think they were trying for some sort of objective aesthetics, nor do I think such a thing is possible. What's wrong with the subjective, anyhow? Something that draws on our culture draws on the subjectivity of generations. Modernists thought they could produce beauty through a strict application of the dictum that form follows function, and to some extent, we are attracted to what works, but when you look at the decorative touches used by the designers you named, it's clear that they were drawing on culture and taste as well as trying to produce efficient vessels. After all, a Great Lakes ore carrier is a model of function, but lacks the subjective quality of grace that Ticonderoga has.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Very unusual Clarkey, looks to me like it would have some fishing / working heritage ,where's that design from?
    Venice.

It's certainly unusual! I don't think I've seen a boat before with the mast so far back! Nice looking boat, nevertheless.

Rick