Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Prettiest boat under thirty feet

Default Re: Prettiest boat under thirty feet

It’s been a while so here’s Sjogin again.

60AAF19B-6308-4AC4-9758-BADA85ADCC51.jpg
    Hove to off Swan Point......

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Manheimer View Post
    It’s been a while so here’s Sjogin again.
    Really we should just have a "Sjogin Photo of the Day" thread on the WBF.

Alerion has it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Alerion has it anyway.
    If you like those flat things at the back - what are they called again? Oh, yeah - transoms.

Every form has a purpose.

Boat Designer. Boatbuilder

DSCN0135.jpg 165 years old

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Gorgeous. Tony is masterful, that is for sure.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Unfortunately this cancer of mine means I very likely won't be building her.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Real sorry to hear that Peter.

Default Re: A good pix of the Schooner "Susan" had to be posted...

Quote Originally Posted by punzo View Post
    Any time it comes for sale, pls contact me
    punzo
    i am also interested if it comes for sale

PA150409.jpg BJ 17, designed by Nigel Irens.

PA150408.jpgPA160411.jpgPA160418.jpg And now something completely different

In my thinking anything with an outboard hanging on it should be disqualified. There must be a corollary between the picture of the hydofoil and why ugly women get dates.

I don't like the outboard either and won't comment on your second remark. I took these pictures the same afternoon and it shows what nice sailing water I have in the Lauwersmeer.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

How many times I've sculled my becalmed boats out of shipping lanes.....bigassships tooting 5 times bearing down on you @ 12 knots....no time for a freaking photo shoot.
    Pull the string and get out de way !

One of my worries is crossing shipping lanes in very light airs. Could be a reason for an outboard.
    Just reread the op. Was wondering how much vanity the forum could take, but understand we are encouraged to post pics of own boats. So I will try that.

So is that BJ17 yours, FF?

Alex

Alex, the BJ17 is not mine, but I made the sails. www.oarandsail.nl. I like the boat very much. This is my boat. Also on video 'Two luggers at play', YoutubeDSC_0195.jpgDSC_0210.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Alex, the BJ17 is not mine, but I made the sails. www.oarandsail.nl. I like the boat very much. This is my boat. Also on video 'Two luggers at play', YoutubeDSC_0195.jpgDSC_0210.jpg
    Very sweet boat. your video that I shot explaining the boats will be finalized in a day or two.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Arguably one of the most beautiful new boats. If life and location changes for me in the next months - this is the one I would buy to deal with the move.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Arguably one of the most beautiful new boats. If life and location changes for me in the next months - this is the one I would buy to deal with the move.

Thank goodness for something beautiful and modern, I don't think I could take any more twee saltiness.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 07-29-2018 at 05:30 PM.

4332A591-1880-4E48-8564-15266A84D10E.jpg
    I like this one. I think itís pretty.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Thank goodness for something beautiful and modern, I don't think I could take any more twee saltiness.
    wizard 3.jpgwizard 2.jpg
    Clarkey, is this better?Ted, looking forward to see the new video and I think the sailing machine you fancy is cool

Yes, I find lots of the twee saltiness rather pretentious when it's matched with a rather blind dislike of modern boats. Things like bunt lines (?) hanging off sails like a herd of dessicated eels hanging up to dry.... I dunno, on boats that seem to spend almost all of their time in light airs on small lakes such things can seem to be rather effected. Such boats really reef so often that they are not better off with just leaving the reefed portion to flap, or just leading a light line through reefing eyes? Similarly, short and tubby boats can appear rather ungainly even when they have a curved sheerline.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    wizard 2.jpg
    Clarkey, is this better?Ted, looking forward to see the new video and I think the sailing machine you fancy is cool
    I do like the Wizard and admire all the thought and experience put into the design but it doesn't appeal too much to me aesthetically. Multihull aesthetics seem to have stalled a bit since the glorious wing aka tris of Dick Newick but there are glimmers of hope.

One boat I keep coming back to is the Tiki 21, it strikes me as a beautifully resolved and complete design.

245720d131ff16691269e6a9e181cb18.jpg

Gary Dierking's Va'a Motu also looks good to my eyes:

web3.jpg

As well as the other recent Va'a Motu (but this might bust the 30' limit):

Last edited by Clarkey; 07-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.

I do like the Wizard and admire all the thought and experience put into the design but it doesn't appeal too much to me aesthetically. Multihull aesthetics seem to have stalled a bit since the glorious wing aka tris of Dick Newick but there are glimmers of hope.

One boat I keep coming back to is the Tiki 21, it strikes me as a beautifully resolved and complete design.

245720d131ff16691269e6a9e181cb18.jpg

Gary Dierking's Va'a Motu also looks good to my eyes:

web3.jpg

As well as the other recent Va'a Motu (but this might bust the 30' limit):

Like those 3, I’m with you beauty comes far deeper than just the obvious aesthetics it must be ‘resolved as complete’ as a design, the aesthetics must fully complement the function

Yes, I can see how the twee saltiness of the foiler Moth a few posts up would get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Like those 3, I’m with you beauty comes far deeper than just the obvious aesthetics it must be ‘resolved as complete’ as a design, the aesthetics must fully complement the function
    Yes, I think Aquinas three conditions for beauty come into play for boats: clarity, completeness, and proportion.

We did not buy the Wizard for its esthetic qualities but for pure practical reasons(I think). Speed, shallow draft, seaworthiness, and I think it is one of Richard Woods better looking designs. And she does not roll when anchored and when drying out at night I often do not notice the transition from floating to siting on the hard. I actually like straight upright stems and the simplicity. I underestimated the trailering part, a bit to complicated for me, but perhaps in the future. We did not want a Yacht but a simple camping boat and have only one alcohol burner. No elaborate meals, I do that at home. And my wife finds fast boats far more fun.

Chris, I agree with you in some ways. I like how old Dutch boats are often cherished and maintained and also their gatherings but I get irritated by plastic gaffers with deadeyes. I remember a French retro-designer who put hidden modern terminals and bottlescrews inside deadeyes, and he was celebrated in that magazine I won't mention. I misspent part of my life building a 50 ft gaff schooner, and got over it when I saw 5 years how a dreamschooner like that was thrown about in short seas just outside Barcelona. Just when her sails filled and started drawing she was pushed about and sails were flapping again. Okay, sometimes prun brings the old feelings back but then I remember Barcelona.

Although regarding Chris' reefing comment, often gaff cutters have long and light scantling booms that must have the reef points tied in. If you fail to do that they go into compression without the stabilisation of a tied in foot , and go all pretzel. Its even critical as to how you tie in the reef to avoid point loading.
    But yes ,twee.. hahaha. true.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Yes, I find lots of the twee saltiness rather pretentious when it's matched with a rather blind dislike of modern boats. Things like bunt lines (?) hanging off sails like a herd of dessicated eels hanging up to dry.... I dunno, on boats that seem to spend almost all of their time in light airs on small lakes such things can seem to be rather effected. Such boats really reef so often that they are not better off with just leaving the reefed portion to flap, or just leading a light line through reefing eyes? Similarly, short and tubby boats can appear rather ungainly even when they have a curved sheerline.
    Buntlines are only used on square rigs, are you thinking of reef nettles? Slab reefing works fine on modern rigs, but I think John B is right about the utility of reef nettles (the nettles are the lines that go through the grommets, which are reef points. At least, that's how the words are used here, nautical terms can change meaning with changes in time and location.)

You'd know better than me, so reefing nettles would be correct. I can understand how in some craft with long, light booms tension would be critical, but in small dayboats that seem to sail on sheltered waters in mainly light winds and where such structural issues are unlikely to arise, they can seem to be a bit affected - the maritime equivalent of a hulking SUV with bullbars, high-lift jack and winch that never leaves the suburbs.

As in the posts by Peb and Tink, surely true aesthetic qualities are something other than things that strike a chord in our hearts, perhaps because of a childhood memory of the Scuffy The Tugboat book or a Walter Mitty-esque fantasy that maybe we'll suddenly end up sailing on an America's Cup hydrofoiler. If function and affection are all that matters, a garbage scow and a houseboat must be equal in beauty to the greatest creations of Herreshoff and Fife. If that was the case, "pretty" and "beautiful" become redundancies.

Sometimes it seems around here that we are forbidden to criticise a boat's aesthetics, but surely if we say they are all beautiful then the term becomes meaningless. There's nothing wrong with things we love even when they are not particularly beautiful. I loved my VW Kombis, but aesthetically they were not in the same league as a Jaguar E type or a Bugatti. My Formula F18 cat is a touch on the ugly side, much as I enjoy it, and my beloved Spencer 28 has some aesthetic issues in some ways (and IMHO aesthetic strengths from other viewpoints). Surely it's reasonable to be able to separate aesthetic strengths from our own (justifiable) love for our boats, just as the reasonable owner of something like a Hartley ferro cement motorsailer would admit it's not a fast sailing boat to windward and the owner of a kitefoiler would admit it's not good for cruising.

I dunno, in some ways it feels unfair to class a (IMHO) dumpy short-ended high-freeboard gaffer as equal in beauty to a 30 Square Metre and then to sneer at a Macgregor 26. From some sort of objective viewpoint, quite a few wooden boats look short, dumpy, over-done, and a bit bleagh. That doesn't mean they are not admirable, lovable and wonderful, but it does mean that they are not objectively beautiful from some aspects and often come close to being a caricature.
    Last edited by Chris249; 07-31-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.