Thread: Delaminated plywood repair

Default Delaminated plywood repair

I have a little delamination problem that I thought you all might have some advice for. I have a 2 foot x 1 foot section of counter top from my O'Day's galley that is made of marine ply, with formica laminate, and trimmed in teak. The marine ply has started to delaminate around 3 inches in from the edge on three sides. The wood seems intact and not rotted. Just delaminated. Is it possible to saturate the layers with epoxy or some other adhesive to repair this? The formica is no longer available so replacing the counter top isn't an option. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Lightly thickened epoxy pushed into the ply would work. Be sure clean out as much of the gaps as possible.

What you should try to do before all else, is try to seperate the plywood with a chisel or or some other wide flat object. It will be better to find out now if there is deeper bond failure than later when all of the edges are bonded leading to an eventuall blister.

What formica pattern is this?.

I'm envisioning the case that the edge of a ply panel has delaminated, there's a formica laminate on top and you want to keep it, and the edge is accessible.

It's a half-baked fix, but if your conscience can take it try the following:
    - With a feeler gauge, determine how deep the delamination extends.
    - Carefully drill up through the panel so that the hole penetrates the delamination void but not the top surface. If you drill through, go to PLAN B.
    - With a syringe, inject epoxy into the void.
    - Clamp by applying weights.

Probability of long-term success is 50%.

PLAN B:
    Replace the entire panel. The old laminate is probably looking tacky anyway.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 04-05-2007 at 07:13 AM. Reason: fat fingers

You could probably make a new top quicker than repairing the old one.

If you have delamination going back into the ply for three inches, I doubt that it is marine grade plywood. In fact I would bet that it isn’t. I suspect that you will not “cure” the problem until you replace the panel.

Wink

Your exactly right, Jim. It's delaminating around two of the edges, the other two edges are capped with teak and are in good shape. Part of the problem (actually 2 parts), is that the color of the formica is no longer available (plain beige like color, and not too tacky yet ). The other problem is that the entire galley counter top has the same formica which would mean gutting the entire galley (I'd rather be sailing ;-). The piece I have to repair is about 10 inches by 23 and also serves as the deisel compartment access. So I think trying to repair it is worth a shot. I typically wouldn't think about doing a cob job, but in this case.... Is there any special epoxy I should use?

Thanks guys

I repaired the front cabin top of a Cruisers Inc, Seacamper that has a plwood roof that was doing what you are describing. I cleaned out any loose particles and mixed a thin epoxy and injected it into the layers with a large syringe. I then used hand clamps to clamp it down all around curved edge. I used small pieces of trash bag plastic as a cover for clamp jaws.
    I was able to clamp tight enough to squeeze some out the edges. After that dried I filled some rough edges with thickened epoxy and sanded smooth, this surface was covered in deck canvas and finished out well.
    If you have laminate on one side then this should be an easy fix.

Oh yeah, I used West system epoxy thinned with about 25% acetone, until its runny. Good luck