Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Displacement vs. Weight

Default Re: Displacement vs. Weight

Speaking of beer, higher-alcohol beer is not only more satisfying and weight-saving (you need less of it than the light kind), but alcohol is lighter than water so each bottle weighs less!

In gusty weather picking up a can of beer cooled in the bilge will transfer it to the stomach right above the gunwale puts it into the optimal position for ballasting the boat.

and it should be non gassy beer...

DRINK CREW DRINK!

Yes, active ballast might change things. You might also pack coffee and chocolate, to make the ballast more active. I heard the rumour that sheep were used as active ballast, hating water, they'd move to up, thus keeping the boat a bit more upright. Can anyone confirm this? Do they make hiking boards for sheep?

Wow - my first post. Turns out I was able to lift the boat with the front loader on my tractor, then block it up for painting. Probably should have just tried that first.

Have you thought about how to determine the waterline for antifouling? I myself was thinking about secretly getting her some wet feet before the official launch, with just the primer, then drawing the waterline with sandbags standing in for meatbags and other stuff inside the boat.

Real builder/designers take great pride in a boat on launching floating to her marks. Some designs call for a bit of inside ballast anyway and this can be distributed after launching to make her sit most happily.

For the rest of us, especially with a small boat, painting the whole hull, getting her wet in some still water to mark desirable waterlines, and then applying the bottom paint (treat the paint already on the bottom as a super-prime) is just fine.

Is bottom paint necessary for a trailerable boat? I did not use any myself since mine will only be in the water a few hours at a time.

Bottom paint is not critical, but you have to agree that the paint that will be wet will have different demands than the paint that occasionally gets a drop of water and a whole lot of sunlight. For instance, polishing what is dry is vanity, polishing what will be wet gives speed (and thus a different kind of vanity).

Thanks Ian, since I built to my own plans, I will heed my designer's warning and not trust my calculations too much.

I was speaking mainly of anti-fouling properties. Surely a hull that dries completely (and can be washed) immediately after sailing won't be fouled?

That is correct, I plan to do some camping with it, about three weeks at a time. I am still debating whether or not the antifouling will be money well spent, but that is still a significant amount of time from now.