Thread: Proa plans

Default Proa plans

I am looking for Proa plans. I would like a "proper" proa, i.e. not just a canoe with an outrigger - I like the high freeboard of a proper sailing proa - paddling would be a last resort. I would like to be able to take it apart and store it on a wall in my garage and transport it on the top of my car. I would like rig plans as well as hull and ama plans. Any ideas?!

I would try to contact John Marples (google Searunner) in Fla. and ask what plans he has and if Jim Brown's son has published plans for his proa......it's small but I think he sailed it to the South Pacific.....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Here are some designs from a Kiwi designer (Upper Nth Island)
    We don't get a lot of this type down here in the South but I've always thought they were very cool.

and

We don't know how lucky we are....

This may be of interest see the " Lepalepa " http://web.mit.edu/robot/www/

Check out James Wharram's website (don't know the web address) I know he has plans for a proa.

the absolute best place to go is the yahoo group proa_file. The people on here will be very glad to help you.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proa_file/

There are many people in that group that have proas, and many designs there as well. There are also these sites that have a lot of information

http://www.wingo.com/proa/links.html
    http://proafile.com/
    http://www.multihull.de/proa/history/p_history.htm - old photos

n peter evans

Plans for an able and impressive proa:
    http://www.clcboats.com/boats/pacificproa.php

JZERRO, by Russel Brown is the one that I was trying to recall....I haven't seen him since he was 3 feet tall.......
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Thanks all for the good steers! A lot of pretty proas there! A proa may just be the perfect boat!

i will reply for your benefit and for ohters,

Yes they can go well. some people choose not to have a rudder, wherease some people have 2. In general they are long and slim and thus you do not get a lot of boat for a given lenght, though if you wish to assemble from sections that might not be such an issue.

Would recommend going to the yahoo group and asking them advice after explaining exactly what you want to do.

here are a couple others
    http://www.harryproa.com/
    http://www.proadesign.com/

There are also things called tacking outriggers that look like a proa but tack. One one tack the outrigger works as a counterweight and on the other as a float. The downside is that there are more stresses on the outrigger and supports as opposed to a proa, plus the outrigger needs to compromise from being a float and a weight..

n peter evans

I have often gone to Gary Deirking's site,

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/

many times. I really like Ulua. His Wa'apa can be broken down into smaller parts for transporting and storage.

The Wa'apa can be built as a one piece hull to save weight, but one of its prime advantages is that no hull or ama section is longer than 2.4 meters (8 ft). It can be built, stored and transported in a small space. The three section main hull and a two piece plywood ama only require six sheets of 6mm (1/4") plywood. The hull sides and ama can be built with 4mm plywood to save weight.

I have a Ulua stretched to 21' last rigged as a frestanding cat with a sprit boom. It is currently in trimaran mode, although the single outrigger beams (iakos or akas) are nearly done. Beautiful boat that has been fun to mess about with thus far!

Uluas aren't usually proas though--tacking outriggers or tris are the more common way to build them.

Dan

At the Harryproa site look particularly at his 'Elementarry' design.
    http://www.harryproa.com/elementarry.htm
    Last edited by JimConlin; 03-22-2007 at 04:29 PM.

If you are really interested in traditional proas, you need to order "Canoes of Oceania", Haddon and Hornell, Bishop Museum Press. I'm sure that you can google it.
    By the way, I think that Gary Dierking is a member here. He's the New Zealander seanz mentioned. For my money, he has as much practical experience with proas as anyone.
    Wes White

Default proa plans

Yes, I think Gary Dierking has some of the best boats, and he has good plans well-explained and well illustrated. His T2 is true proa (assymetric hull) and his Wa'Apa can be a proa or a tacking outrigger -- and ulua and Wa'Apa can be made into trimarans if you get the urge to experiment. Some of his sail plans are "modern", and others are traditional, a great choice. Gary also sails a 30-foot proa for his personal use -- he reports it makes a great camp-cruiser with all that deck space). I am not sure if he has plans available, but I'm sure he'd be happy to communicate with you.

The "harry proas" of Rob Denney are interesting innovations on the proa theme. They would be considered innovative over traditional. Most of his designs are for cruising.

Both Dierking and Denney are personable people and are good communicators if you have questions.

I have heard informally that Russ Brown has turned to trimarans rather than proas as a more reliable cruising concept. He has had good use from his proas of course but seems to feel that you need to rely on a great crew as well particular skill with a proa if you intend to cruise it. I guess this means, if you become tired or careless, a proa is happy to bite you, whereas a trimaran will just make a nasty remark. I am reporting this third-hand so don't quote me.

The advantage of proa over trimaran is easier righting if you turn turtle, though it talkes more to flip the trimaran in the first place. This is less important in the very small sizes, but still, I wouldn't want to have to right a trimaran. In the proa's case, I recommend not putting full flotation in the ama; you should be able to sink the ama under your weight make so that you can push it under and rotate the proa up again. I put partial flotation in mine, and then a Beckson watertight port, which can be used to flood the ama for ballast or for the aforesaid righting maneuver.

My previous ama would hold only about 50 pounds of flotation, so it was easily sunk for righting. This was closer to the native amas, which are heavy and of about neutral bouyancy. You use crew to trim the proa. With amas of neutral or near-neutral bouyancy, you focus on staying in the main canoe hull -- you do not sail like catamaran.

The 90-degree flipped proa, if the mast has support and flotation inside, will float the boat at 90 degrees for a little while (depending on sea state of course). In tests I had time to climb from water and pull ama back down to right the proa. This the the great advantage -- a catamaran or trimaran would probably keep going over to 180. A proa (or a tacking outrigger) can also have a safety ama: it stays out of the water but if the boat is knocked down, the safety ama may prevent a capsize. It seems to be a nice comprimise between proa and trimaran. The OC sailing canoes use them in the big Pacific water. You can see one on the small outriggers on Dierking's site I believe. His personal Ulua has one, in any event. If you carry an outboard, the safety ama might be a good idea if like keep expensive mechanical gear dry ;-)

Default Russell Brown

Last I heard Russell Brown was living out in Washington State,Friday Harbor or Port Townsend- he is the one to go to about Proas- I don't know if he sells his plans or not-but I'm sure he would give suggestions-good luck-Hazel8

Default Gary now has a book out

This is a bit of an old thread, but Gary now has a book out that has plans in it for Ulua, Wa'apa, and his T2 proa. Wa'apa can also be built as a shunting proa if that's what you're looking for.

I'm biased towards his designs as I built a Ulua stretched to 21', but his writing style is clear and the designs couldn't be at a better price since they are all in the book. One can also order full size patterns and plans from him as well.

Dan