Thread: Bolger's Gloucester Light Dory

Default Bolger's Gloucester Light Dory

One of the boats in WoodenBoat Magazine's Small Boats publication is the Gloucester Light Dory. Does anyone know the price of the plans and the price for the supplement?

Thank you.

Our kind hosts carry the book but apparently not the plans -

HTB the Gloucester Dory

Item Number : 325-005 Unit Price: $7.95 In Stock Quantity

Plans -
    http://www.instantboats.com/ggull.htm

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The plans were originally drawn for Capt. Jim Orrell, who used to sell a huge variety of boat plans out of Galveston, TX. It’s probably been a dozen years since he retired and no one took over the business, so far as I know. Too bad. He offered some interesting plans.

H. H. Payson (Instantboats) used to sell the plans, I think. It appears that now all he offers is the book, which I suppose includes reduced-scale plans.

You might contact Phil Bolger for plans. He almost certainly offers them, still. Too bad he doesn’t have a web site.

Wayne

We got our plans through Dynamite Payson's site

http://www.instantboats.com/

You can also get full size patterns for the molds, etc. which I would recommend unless you want to loft it out yourself.

Cheers,
    Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Default I called him

and I think he sent me the plans for $30.00.
    Good luck.

Okay, I see it now. The plans are not listed on his “Plans” page, but I see them buried at the bottom of the text of the page for full description of the book. $25 for the set.

http://www.instantboats.com/htbtgld.htm

Wayne

BTW there have been lengthy discussions of this boat here. A search will turn up a wealth.
    So many questions, so little time.

We're building the GLD with some high school kids...it is really fun to build....simple yet a joy to put together. We set up the molds dead on and found the planks a little too short...probably error on our part but cut out the planks long just in case. I can offer more thoughts or answers if you like...feel free to email...find me at www.compassproject.org

Cheers,
    Clint
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Built that boat without adult supervision when I was 14. Lumberyard plywood, dads old nails and whatever goops & goos I could find. Lasted two years and had a ball with it. Finally came apart at the stem- towed it out to an island for last rites- would'nt you know someone rescued it! May still be a planter today!

I'd like to clarifry (as memory allows) the Gloucester Light Dory. The original design by Phil Bolger was called the Gloucester Gull. He designed it for Jim Orrell of "Texas Dory Boat Plans". The way I understand it, he asked Bolger for a sail plan. Bolger's reply was that it is a rowing boat, not a sailing boat. They were at an impasse, so Bolger redesigned it as "The Gloucester Light Dory" and Dynamite Payson took over the sale. It's not exactly the same boat, as the GLD is about two or four inches less in beam. This is from memory, so, be kind.

No, I don't believe so. Bolger did something like six different versions of the plans. He always called it the Gloucester Light Dory.

Somewhere in the process, the Texas gentleman began marketing the plans for Bolger as the Gloucester Gull. The concern about sail plans -- and also a motor well, I believe -- precipitated the rift. Bolger never called it anything but the Gloucester Light Dory, and that's how Payson marketed it as well.

Picked up this month's Small Craft Advisor and noticed that Welsford has a new version of his light dory -- Light Dory MkII.

Looks very similar to Bolger's design, but tweaked a bit for better balance under oar, floatation tanks, and handling in rough water.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jw...dory/index.htm
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reagan View Post
    . . . He (Bolger) designed it for Jim Orrell of "Texas Dory Boat Plans". . .
    And so it is written on the plans, in Bolger’s own hand I believe. I believe it also has just the design number from Bolger, but that stuff is back at the house in Ohio. The only one I have here, one that Orell marketed as “Shoals Runner 17,” is simply labeled by Bolger as “DESIGN # 189 5/65.” No design name in Bolger’s hand.

Orrell was better known, I think, for the “Carolina Dory” plans, in two lengths for one price, $25. That was an older plan, redrawn by John Gardner (yes, THAT John Gardner.) Orrell once had an ad for this design every month in the classified section of our favorite magazine.

Wayne

mine is a type 6
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Iain Oughtred did a similar dory that he calls the Blackfish. Built one of those and thought it a better boat than the Gloucester Gull. Some very small differences in shape and beam.

Bolger included a Light Dory Type V in his book Small Boats, one of the many variations, but I think it's a little narrow.
    David Roberts
    Nexus Marine Corp.
    www.nexusmarine.com

I got a nice letter for Phil Bolger: the plans of the Gloucester Light Dory, our Design #140-6 are available for $50, to build one boat, sent first class mail.