Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: 17' Hampden (Hampton) boat

Default Re: 17' Hampden (Hampton) boat

The lines for Chapelle's 24 ft Hampden (sic) boat are on page 59 of his book 'Boatbuilding'. It's oddly extreme indeed!
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

I feel like a little kid hiding under the table listening to grown-ups. Great thread, Love the boat.

Mr. Tom F, the house renovations will never be done, doubly so if you are married. Start the boat.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I feel like a little kid hiding under the table listening to grown-ups. Great thread, Love the boat.

Mr. Tom F, the house renovations will never be done, doubly so if you are married. Start the boat.
    I'd have always said you're right, switters, but I've got delightful news.

The last coat of varnish on the floor of the last room to be renovated went down about 10 days ago. We are officially done, at least so far as the interior living spaces go. I can't believe it.

So yeah, I'm starting to build something this winter. It may end up being a different boat ... something for my daughter to row, I suspect. But finally, FINALLY I'll be getting going on something that's about to get wet.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Out of interest a version of the 17 ft Hampton boat in Chappelles book was in production in the UK for quite a few years in the 70's & 80's moulded in GRP & marketed as the Swift Explorer it sold to quite a few sailing schools and was a competitor to the Drascombe range of boats. It had two bermudan sails similar to the freedom range of boats.

not getting of the hampton but, have you all looked at the conn. river shad boat? approx. 16' hourglass transon flat section for center board. I have one that I got form a boat school that needs to be planked up and finished. I talked to
    john
    gardner about this boat and he took me around and showed me a few of the old ones in the outer buildings Some had a bowsprit and looked great . an old friend long gone said they sailed good. this boat could be stripped and maybe trailered. The one I have is oak ribs and heavy laminated oak stem and keel with a nice mahogany transon. look the shad boat up you might be suprised how pretty it is.
    Chiefypoo

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    The last coat of varnish on the floor of the last room to be renovated went down about 10 days ago. We are officially done, at least so far as the interior living spaces go. I can't believe it.
    Well, G'day Tom. That is great news. I'm just reflecting on the fun we had when this thread was (more) current. I congratulate you on reaching the point where a boat is the next thing to do (are you absolutely sure there's nothing else on the list? Maybe the list fell off the refrigerator - some of those magnets aren't very good - better check and get it signed off by management). I look forward to seeing what you will build.
    All the best.
    Charlie
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Quote Originally Posted by chiefypoo View Post
    look the shad boat up you might be suprised how pretty it is.
    Thanks Chiefypoo. I did, and I agree. It is quite similar to the Hampden and very pretty indeed. It seems there are quite a few versions, from different rivers. I love the notion that work boats of the era (really the equivalent of pickup trucks) are so shapely and require such skill to build.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Out of interest a version of the 17 ft Hampton boat in Chappelles book was in production in the UK for quite a few years in the 70's & 80's moulded in GRP & marketed as the Swift Explorer it sold to quite a few sailing schools and was a competitor to the Drascombe range of boats. It had two bermudan sails similar to the freedom range of boats.
    Dammit, I took to googling these boats from the 80s, and have found that pretty much anyone who's sailed one, has liked it. Uniformly good reviews about handling, seaworthiness, ability as a family boat, camp cruiser, or single hander. And a few comments even about ease on a trailer. (!!).

This might be back on the menu after all as a build. I wonder about using some of the ideas Francois Vivier has incorporated into his Morehen designs re water ballasting, to make it a bit more workable in terms of the weight of the boat for trailering... Hmmm.

Might be really interesting to play with the idea Roger Long's been exploring, with strip plank for the bottom, transitioning to glued lap for the area above the turn of the bilge.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

And to stir the pot some more, here's a few excerpts from an e-mail I received today from a British gent who'd recently sold his Swift Explorer, after buying a bigger boat. As you'll recall, this was the fiberglass version of the Hampton hull, rigged as a bermudian cat ketch ... sold under 3 successive names/firms in the UK during the 80s.
    The Explorer is a delighful vessel to sail both from a learners and, experienced sailor's point of view. She can achieve (and I can prove it) 6.5 knots with both sails and in relatively slow winds. Because of the long keel (which first attracted me to this very pretty boat, she is obviously very stable and, in a good blow, she will not heel too much either before settling on her sides and then providing a very safe platform for day sailing. I have been out with my 14 year old daughter in the boat and the wind was gusting to force 6. My daughter was learning at the time and she felt quite comfortable. The self-tacking masts helped enormously in this situation.

With regards to trailering, she needs a little bit more of an understanding but she will travel on the road very well with the manufacturer provided trailer (doesn't need to be braked unless you pile all your holiday/vacation gear into the boat whilst travelling.)

When launching, you must be aware that the long keel will require special treatment so as not to let it hit the concrete. Also, a slipway with a decent gradiant will help to off load her. I have tried to launch on a flat beach but came unstuck and gave up eventually. To enable this would require a break-back trailer to thus re-create the necessary angle. Recovery is also the same. The trailer would benefit from being fitted with large keel rollers to aid recovery.

Incidentally, are you aware of the Mark II version that was built during the 90's and beyond. Slight mods were made and it also included a second headsail which was furled onto a bowsprit (very nice piece of kit - tried to get it retro-fitted to mine) these were made by Moreton Boats in UK.
    Yup. Sounds like what I want, and sounds like it's more workable as a trailer-sailer than we'd been afraid ...

Damn, I'm getting tempted again now. No. Get thee behind me ......
    Charlie

I just spent a few days tracking the last owner of the Swift explorer moulds down & can report that the moulds were sold four years ago to an Irishman who converted the mould into a fishing boat. A right shame but there you go! I quite fancied building a few of them! even though they were the other material!

-Hi , I have only just found this group so am catching up. The boat in the photo was manufactured in the U.K in G.R.P.the first one was taken from Chappeles book and was commissioned as a one of from Swift boats, they liked it so built a plug and sold them as the Explorer, She was 18' and cat rigged on aluminium freestanding masts, the sails where 3 sided and sleeved on the mast in the same way a Laser fits.

There was no need for a rudder as the aft sail steered the boat very well but a rudder was supplied as transom hung. The outboard was fitted in a well just forward of the rudder. Being glass she was unsinkable. I don't know how but i ended up with the moulds.

Lovely looking boat and should have done better than she did but she was up against the Dracombe lugger ( a cornish workboat design ) that looked pretty and had a bit of wood on it, sailed like a barn door. There are a few around and a small club. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    A few links

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulleti...p/t-12228.html

Here's a great link with the drawings -
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15507

And some photos of something similar from the TSCA's Wet Turkey Row in Tomales Bay, CA -

That's interesting, Redders. I wonder if boatbear ever finished this build?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    That's interesting, Redders. I wonder if boatbear ever finished this build?
    G'day JohnW
    The answer is no. It was sufficient for me to go through the design process, learning a couple of 3D modelling programs along the way and a goodly amount of stuff about boat design in the process. In the end I decided I was happy enough with the boat I have (a Sea Chanty dory, now 20 years old), particularly after refurbishing it and making a few necessary changes to rig balance and comfort.

This thread was great fun at the time. It buoyed me up during a frustrating winter of arthritis and associated depression. I particularly enjoyed the interaction with the other contributors, yourself included. And arguing with Thorne is always a pleasure.

All the best
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by boatbear View Post
    G'day JohnW
    The answer is no. It was sufficient for me to go through the design process, learning a couple of 3D modelling programs along the way and a goodly amount of stuff about boat design in the process. In the end I decided I was happy enough with the boat I have (a Sea Chanty dory, now 20 years old), particularly after refurbishing it and making a few necessary changes to rig balance and comfort.

This thread was great fun at the time. It buoyed me up during a frustrating winter of arthritis and associated depression. I particularly enjoyed the interaction with the other contributors, yourself included. And arguing with Thorne is always a pleasure.

All the best
    I've been fiddling with Deftship, so I know what you mean. At the time this thread was going on, I wondered whether the boat you had might be better than the boat you were dreaming about!

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    ... I wondered whether the boat you had might be better than the boat you were dreaming about!
    Ha, yes indeed, John. Like a bird in the hand ...
    Fanny the dory is pretty enough, handles well single-handed and her shoal draft is well suited to the lake on which I sail.

She's light enough to drag down the beach as the water recedes. The Hampden would have needed a lot of ballast to sit on her lines - something that took me quite a while to realise. That said, I have no regrets over the time I spent playing with that design. I think I was smitten by the wineglass transom, and who wouldn't be?
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by redders View Post
    -Hi , I have only just found this group so am catching up. The boat in the photo was manufactured in the U.K in G.R.P.the first one was taken from Chappeles book and was commissioned as a one of from Swift boats, they liked it so built a plug and sold them as the Explorer, She was 18' and cat rigged on aluminium freestanding masts, the sails where 3 sided and sleeved on the mast in the same way a Laser fits.

There was no need for a rudder as the aft sail steered the boat very well but a rudder was supplied as transom hung. The outboard was fitted in a well just forward of the rudder. Being glass she was unsinkable. I don't know how but i ended up with the moulds.

Lovely looking boat and should have done better than she did but she was up against the Dracombe lugger ( a cornish workboat design ) that looked pretty and had a bit of wood on it, sailed like a barn door. There are a few around and a small club. Paul
    Hi Paul, I have a late Swift Explorer and would be very interested in getting access to the moulds, I've been trying to track them down for a while. how can I get in touch as there does not seem to be a PM option on this forum. Doh! just found it PM sent
    Last edited by GTLambretta; 08-21-2016 at 10:27 AM.

I know this is an old thread, but I have just laid my hands on a 17 Hampden.

Here are some images;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt34wdko6b..._5065.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6zo9t0u8d..._5061.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lel7bkdnxj..._5062.jpg?dl=0

Hoping to get it on the water soon.

Lovely boat. Is it strip planked?

Yes it is. I am not certain of the age or builder, but have been advised that the boat may have been built in the 70's.

I have sailed 30ft yachts and smaller dinghies and catamarans, but nothing like this. I have rigged the sails, but a little unsure on how to launch from a boat ramp in a harbour. The sprit pole is the challenge. Might need to find somewhere that has a beach next to the ramp to make it easier to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbrad View Post
    Yes it is. I am not certain of the age or builder, but have been advised that the boat may have been built in the 70's.

I have sailed 30ft yachts and smaller dinghies and catamarans, but nothing like this. I have rigged the sails, but a little unsure on how to launch from a boat ramp in a harbour. The sprit pole is the challenge. Might need to find somewhere that has a beach next to the ramp to make it easier to launch.
    put the sail on the sprit, toss the sprit up and the sail with it, put sprit in the snotter then raise the sail the rest of the way with the uphaul..

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbrad View Post

It helps if you attach a streamer to the eye the sprit goes through on the sail. Then you can control that while you put the sprit in place. Something like this, but longer: