Thread: William Garden's Tomcat

Default William Garden's Tomcat

Its time again to reask my two questions.

1. Has anyone started building William Garden's Tomcat?

2. Has anyone heard anymore about the posibility of a larger Tomcat?

Would appreciate any information.

Meanwhile, spring is coming!
    Alan Peck

You certainly are persistent, Alan. Where else have you checked?

The member GregH was building an 18' version of Tomcat.

GregH, any pictures of the project?
    Last edited by Delboy; 02-06-2007 at 08:20 AM.
    Derek Byrne

CLC Kayak (from the book)

Ian: Iam planning to build. However, I would prefer a 15 to 16 ft. version. I think persistance is a good attribute for an amateur boat builder. However, I don't feel it wise for me to simple try to scale up the plans. Seems like a good way to get a bad boat.

I keep asking since I heard there was a possibility of a larger version.

If anyone has an idea as to where to look besides this forum, I would sure appreciate it.

Alan
    Alan Peck

There are other catboat plans out there. Various sizes, etc. If you want a longer Tom Cat, you could contact Garden for advice or a new design. I understand he pays for his keep that way.

GregH

you can edit the photo's in photobucket and resize them there.
    Derek Byrne

Default 18" "Tomcat" photos

Thanks, Delboy- I think I finally got this photo thing under control! ...well, apparently not- I've tried several times to reduce the first and last 2 , but can't get it to work. Hope this doesn't overload anything for the forum- if so, I'll delete the post and start over.

The strongback with molds, keel, stem, and transom have been disassembled and stored in the garden shed for the winter. Im getting too old to scrape my car in the winter! So I've moved operations indoors. The CB and it's case are now finished, so I've been working on rope-stropped blocks. The shells are from Santos Mahog- a very hard, beautiful wood- my first time working with it. The rope will be hemp-look-alike POSH from R&W Cordage. The last photos are of a die that I made to press out brass grommets for the strops.

Last edited by GregH; 02-06-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Those blocks are going to be wicked nice.
    Derek Byrne

From your first post, I believe:

Am building an 18' version of Wm Garden's Tomcat. Multiplied offset table values by 1.375, then added 3" between stations = 8' 4" beam, 18' loa. Will add 500 lbs internal ballast per Wm Garden advice.

Greg, are you still sticking to the above?

YEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't feel it wise for me to simple try to scale up the plans. Seems like a good way to get a bad boat.
    That is ordinarily sound thinking, but in this case the designer has approved scaling the boat up as Greg is doing, with the added ballast.

If the boat can be successfully scaled to 18 feet, shouldn't it work at 15-16 as well?

As I mentioned in an earlier post regarding the scaling, I did some extensive checking of the fairness of the mold setup using several full-length battens over numerous positions. They gave me no reason to think that the hull will not be fair. Obviously that alone is not an indication of how well it will sail. This still remains to be seen, but I am confident that it will perform well.
    Regarding the ballast- this will be in form of lead/acid batteries that will provide power for the electric drive system. It will be a unit from R-E-Power.com. These are bolt-on units. In my case, the unit will occupy the last 24 inches of the skeg. ComPac Yachts has installed one on one of their Horizon Cats. This boat is approximately the same specs as mine (but 2' longer). They have not yet tested it the water, but will do so this spring - I intend to follow their tests very closely.

Default offsets and other dimensions

gregh when you were scaling up do you simply multiply all dimensions by the 1.375 ie lets say the mast would you increase the diameter of the mast and height by this factor? the sails also?

Bobk-

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I am also making some modifications based on my personal tastes and objectives--that's the beauty of "rollin' your own"! For instance, one of my objectives is to provide as large and uncluttered a cockpit as possible. To this end, I've reshaped the CB to a simple rectangle in order to eliminate the high portrusion of the traditional CB. In doing so, care was taken to make sure that the same surface area of the CB below the keel was maintained in order to maintain the same level of lateral resistance. Obvisously, it's always possible to run into trouble if one strays too far. I'm doing these things, not by whim or daydreams, but by carefull study. Several trips to Mystic Seaport to examine and measure the catboats on display (and many in storage) there: And of course, spending time aboard the wonderful Breck Marshall. There are also several good books that detail the development the catboat. I would suggest one in particular: Cape Cod Catboats by Stan Grayson. It is available at the Wooden Boat Store.

Question Tom Cat Strip Build

I'm thinking about building a standard sized Tom Cat using the wood strip alternative suggested by Mr. Garden in his book. One thing though, the molds shown in the plans are as much as 37-1/2" apart. Obviously that spacing works well for wider planks but it seems kinda far apart for 1/2" x 3/4" cedar strips. Are there any rules of thumb on mold spacing for strip building? Other plans I've seen for similar sized strip boats seem to have molds spaced about every 20-24" but I'm unsure about how critical this is. Has anyone else considered or started building Tom Cat using strips? Any advice would be appreciated!

I am planning on cold molding a Tom Cat. I have the molds built, and the veneer (western red cedar) ordered. I still have to order the rest of the wood. In the meantime I am working on wooden cleats. Besides, the skiiing is good, and I should be able to ski well into April if the crust holds up.

SC:

You are going to loft first right? Pick up your moulds in between the given frames from your loft, and put in as many as you need. If you bead and cove those strips they will be self supporting a good two feet. If you are going to bevel them, you will need moulds about a foot apart for support. I will be getting a Tomcat out sometime this year, and will be strip building it. I have to get two other boats out first, but should start Tomcan about late June. If you are in the PNW contact me off forum.

Woody,
    Yes, I am lofting (just started yesterday) and will pick up extra molds between the existing ones as you suggest. I'm in Minnesota. Thanks.

Default Here's one!

Check out this post. LAUNCHED! William Garden Cat Boat 'Willow' Looks fabulous. Great build photos too.
    Todd
    I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it.
    Vincent Van Gogh

Question Strip plank a Tomcat

Severall posts have mentioned strip planking, which is what I intend to do on my 18' Tomcat- followed by 2 layers of diagonal composite strips.

The one thing that concerns me about stripping such a beamy hull is the amount of edge-set that might occur. I've been thinking of tapering each strip, making them about 1/16' narrower at each end than in the middle. Some might consider it a lot of extra(unnecessary??) work, but I think I've devised a plan to minimize this: The sized strips would be placed in a jig that has one edge formed to a taper of 1/16' in 9 feet (half the length of the boat). Both ends of each strip would, in turn, be positioned in the jig, and a router equipped with a flush-trim bit would cut the taper in a single pass. The bead & cove edges would then be formed.

Wadda ya think?

I recently finished strip planking a MarshCat. I started with bead and cove strips but half way through I used rectangular strips. I would recomend that you do not use bead and cove strips. See post "Anyone built or building a Joel White Marsh Cat? " in Building/Repair.
    Last edited by KMacDonald; 04-12-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Bay of Quinte, across from Belleville, Ontario.

Default Tomcat #143

I am in the final stages of a building a Tomcat. The hull is finished, the mast is done but not varnished and the spars are underway (a friend cut some cedars for me). The sail will arrive around June1st and I hope to be sailing by mid-June.

I know of one person who increased the size to 18 feet. I'm sure it would work well but I am in the same position as William Garden although a bit younger, looking for a boat that is geriatrically friendly, exciting to sail, comfortable and stable.

It has been a two-year project for health reasons.

Best regards,

ja

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Its time again to reask my two questions.

1. Has anyone started building William Garden's Tomcat?

2. Has anyone heard anymore about the possibility of a larger Tomcat?

Would appreciate any information.

Meanwhile, spring is coming!

John Atken,

Do you have any digital photos you can post?
    Do you know how to post photos?
    We love photos and would love to look at your boat, and lavish praise upon you. Trust me it is good for the ego.
    Thanks
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by katiedobe View Post
    John Atken,

We love photos and would love to look at your boat, and lavish praise upon you. Trust me it is good for the ego.
    Thanks

No, I tried posting a JPG but it didn't take. Appreciate instructions. Thanks.

ja

Use tinypic.com and copy to your post. Works for me.

This *should* be a picture of Catnip, my newly-hatched Tomcat.

Best regards,

ja

Quote Originally Posted by katiedobe View Post
    John Atken,

Thanks

Too bad you live so far from a good place to sail.

Greg

I used 7/8 strips and did not have a problem with making the bends (edge set) for the MarshCat hull. Worst case would be you might need to use 5/8 or 3/4 strips. This would be much easier than tapering the strips.
    Also I would suggest that that you do not bead and cover the strips. It wastes a lot of material and is not necessary.

Kevin