Thread: Rascal Runabout - Progress Pics Interior/Chrome trim

Here are the latest pictures of the Rascal Runabout progress.

Installed Chromed windshield brackets installed (Maine Classics) with 1/4" Lexan

Fabricated and installed Stainless Steel Transom bands

Naugahyde seat, Teak flooring, mahogany cockpit ceiling, Teleflex Sahara gauges installed

Perko cleats and stainless fuel fill installed

Taco 3/4" Hollow back Stainless Steel rub rail

Just picked up a new 50 HP ELPTO Mercury outboard. Plan to install next week.

Speedboy

Thumbs up

Holy Butterball! Beautiful! Nicely done.

Really wonderful job. Looks awesome.

nice job speedboy.
    There are only two powerboats I'd like to make, a Jersey Speed skiff and Rascal.
    I once took a course in half hull making with Ken Bassett as the instructor. I did a model of the Rascal 1"=1'0"
    Holly inlayed between the mahagony planking too.
    Nice except for the windshield. I could never get the supports right. If you have any closeups of the windshield and the supports...they'd be very much appreciated. usrowboy@comcast.net

Outrageous!

Man, that is a pretty piece of work. What have you planned for the steering wheel?

Ross

PS: Thanks for posting the pics.

I've always clicked on your threads to see your progress. You've done a really beautiful job on this boat. It'll be a BLAST to drive I bet. Really really cool Speeddudeman

Thanks for the feedback! Here is a close up of the windshield brackets.

Here is the steering wheel. I searched for a wooden one, but ended up buying this one. I will post again when it gets installed.

Speedboy

Thumbs up

outstanding [img]smile.gif[/img]

Excellent Job! Can't wait to see pics on the water. I only hope I can get 1/2 the finish you did.

I Googled Maine Classics for your hardware and came up empty, do you have a link for them?

Thanks!
    Bob

Hi Speedboy,

Very, very nice. I hope my boat will look something like that but it will be quite a while - I've only finished the frames and most of the transom.

What are the four smaller gauges? I guess fuel level, voltage, trim/tilt and something else. Maybe temperature?

Also, is it correct that the dashboard and the cockpit interior were finished with the same gel-stain as the rest of the boat?

Thanks,
    DavidS

Sweeeeeeeeeettt !!!

Bob, I purchased the bronze castings for the windshield brackets over a year ago, and haven't been able to locate the address of Maine Classics. They don't have a web site, but I will keep looking for the info. I think I found it here on the wooden boat forum. The 3 brackets plus 4 bullet ends for the moulding plus the stem fitting plus the turn fin were around $400 unplated. Chrome plating was about $250.
    Dave, you're right, the 4th gauge is temperature. I also have an oil pressure gauge, but I won't be using it.
    The stain on the dashboard is also the Minwax gelstain Mahogany 605, but for some reason, the mahogany that I selected for the dashboard was a darker color than most used on the rest of the boat, so it tended to finish a little darker. It was the best piece of mahogany that I used in the entire boat, and I stumbled on it in a large pile of 4/4 mahogany. Here are a few more pictures. Here I have the poster board template for the cutwater fitted to the boat. I have the two halves cut from mirror finish 14 ga. 316 stainless (McMaster Carr), but I need to find someone who can weld them together on the boat.

After 14 coats of varnish, I wet sanded with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit and then buffed with 3M Finesse it II.

Here is the dashboard before staining:

And here are the bronze castings from Maine Classics before polishing and plating:

Speedboy

After 14 coats of varnish, I wet sanded with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit and then buffed with 3M Finesse it II.
    You're a good man.

-M

Wow, nice finish and beautiful job. How cool it will be when you take her out the first time and get all those envious looks from the guys with plastic boats!

Very nice! I want one.

You are doing a beautiful job...

Sure hope you plan on some colorful trim to accent the seats. Thats an awesome combination with the rich mahogany finish. Perhaps a few tasteful, thin stripes alongside, or the boat name and numbers in a complimentary fashion.

Speedboy- where did you get your seats- or how did you make them? Springs or foam? Excellent job.

Dale, the seat base was made based on the General Specifications supplied with the Rascal runabout plans: 1x3" mahogany with seat base dimensions of 17" x 42 1/2". A 2" rubberized webbing was stretched over the frame and stapled with 1/2" stainless staples. See below:

3" foam and a good quality naugahyde was installed by Advance Marine Covers in South Windsor, CT.
    The seat bottom sits on mahogany risers that are bolted to the floorboards.

The seat back is 3/8" mahogany plywood, again covered with foam and naugahyde.

The seat back rests against two vertical supports that connect the floorboards to the rear deck:

Here is the seat installed:

Also, for Bob Perkins, I found some info on the Rascal website for the castings for the windshield:
    All the hardware: windshield brackets, turn fin, bullet ends for sheerguard, and stem fitting are available from:
    Maine Classics (Vintage Marine Hardware)
    207-247-6862. I believe the parts are available only as machined castings ....without polishing or plating.

Speedboy

Very clear, Thank you Speedboy- you are an inspiration to all of us. I can make a seat just like yours for the Sergeant runabout I'm building. Another question- how do you keep the inside, below decks surfaces so clean from epoxy smudges, drips, oozes, smears? I finally decided this was too much trouble and painted all behind the scenes mahogany with grey paint- gasp!
    Here's a new wrinkle- I welded up a nice cutwater from 22 g steel, scalloped at the top of stem and then tappered to a point under the turn of the stem- BUT- I've also ordered a chrome flying lady goddess (think Dodge speedboats) that will grace my stem. Anticipate some blacksmithing of course, but expect good results from the chrome shop. Oh well- this will probably blow another 40 or 50 hours in the shop.

Dale, that cutwater should look great with that flying goddess leading your boat around! Did you use 22 ga. stainless for your cutwater? I purchased a sheet of mirror finish 14 ga. 316 stainless from Mcmaster-Carr to cut out for the two halves of the cutwater. I need to find someone to weld them in place on the boat. Have you had any problems with the thinner gauge steel getting wavy? Or is it stiff enough to remain smooth after you welded and install the screws? The 14 ga. is a little stiff but it is able to bend with the curve of the stem.
    As far as the epoxy drips go, there are plenty of them in my boat. Believe it or not, I used 6 gallons of West Systems during the build, and a least 1/2 of it got squeezed out during the gluing process. I cleaned it up as best I could and used Interlux satin finish varnish on the interior of the hull. I think the photo tends to hide some of the epoxy runs, but trust me, they are there. Good luck with your runabout.

Speedboy

Speed- I used steel precisely because I can't weld SS- or even cut it very well. And when steel comes back from the chrome shop- it looks better than ss anyway. No 22g seems about right- I actually braised it to reduce the heat needed. Some small distortion but nothing a hammer and bump dolly cant handle. Cut out the two sides, hold them over the stem in approximate correct angle- then spot weld- tack in maybe 2 places- this won't hurt the boat. Then remove and complete your bead outside and inside. Best to wels an inch or so, skip a couple inches, weld, then come back to minize heat build up. The Flying Lady will be a whole 'nother story- but I'll let you know.

Default Re: Rascal Runabout - Progress Pics Interior/Chrome trim

Hi Speedboy,

Im planning the build of a Zimmer palm Beach 22 and trying to define all the hardware before I commence build, can you please help me by telling me where you got the sterring wheel from? I have sen photos of the identical whell on a PB22 but am unable to find the source.

Regards

Chris (from England)

Chris, got the stainless steel steering wheel at Boatersworld.com. I think it was a Schmidt evolution. Good luck with your boat building.

Speedboy

Thanks for that Speedboy.

Incidentally any pics of your finished Rascal would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Speedboy View Post

Installed Chromed windshield brackets installed (Maine Classics) with 1/4" Lexan
    Don't use plastic for your windshield. It will soon be scratched and anyway, it looks cheesy.

Any good glass shop will cut glass for around a hundred bucks.

added: and someone will tug on the windshield, the plastic will flex and pop out. not cool.
    Last edited by pcford; 02-27-2008 at 01:14 PM.