Thread: marine plywood in atlanta area. . . .

Default marine plywood in atlanta area. . . .

. . . or within a reasonable drive, say an hour or two. I tried woodfinder.com and google. I can only find wholesale operations. Anybody know of any?

Absolutely! Go to Southern Crown Boatworks in North East Atlanta. Their website is: http://www.southerncrownboatworks.com/

Unfortunately their website is horribly out of date so you'll have to call them about your supplies; they've got Okoume, Meranti, Sapele, as well as any kind of hardware and epoxy/fiberglass stuff you may need. (And if they DON'T have something you need, they can order it at no additional cost) Most of what they have isn't on their website so you'll have to call them. It's a small "mom and pop" kind of outfit and the folks there are super nice. The only thing I don't like about them is that they're not open on Saturday... Oh, well, small price to pay.

Good Luck!

What's the pricing like?

I called them a couple weeks ago and they seem just a tad more expensive than say Noah's Marine, or World Panel, but the shipping charges you'd get from those bigger stores would more than compensate for their cheaper prices. Noah's Marine quotes an average of $80-90 per residential delivery of a 70 pound package. (That's only about 4 sheets of plywood) In other words, if you've got 80 pounds of lumber, it's going to cost you over 180 bucks to ship it...

Southern Crown's got 4mm Meranti for 51.85, and 4mm Okoume for 62.50. They've of course got other species of wood and at any thickness you need, but this was just what I priced at the time. In the end, they are MUCH cheaper than the "big box" stores...

You might also try Atlanta Wood Products in NW Atlanta. I bought 4mm Meranti (1088 rated) for around $43. Boat lumber isn't thier primary business, but they have a nice collection cabinet hardwood.

Default Re: marine plywood in atlanta area. . . .

Southern Crown Boatworks is now in McDonough, GA, the new phone # is (770) 288-2210. The number on the Web site is from their old location. The 800 number on the Web site is still current.
    1088 quality plywood is $125 (3/4' hydro core) a sheet as of Feb 2012.
    Great guy, willing to answer questions. knows his stuff.
    They will ship to their old location near spaggitti junction if asked (new bus. there allows it as favor)