Thread: Cypress Lumber Price

Default Cypress Lumber Price

Hey, have any folks bought any cypress lately? Our local sawyer just had 20 truckloads of logs dropped off to cut and sell. He wants $0.90 a bf. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. I do know however, that he'll let customers pick both the log and the specific boards out of the log. Some of the logs he has sitting there have to be 28" at the top and damn near 30 feet long, most straight as an arrow. As of yesterday afternoon, you could easily distinguish heartwood and sapwood at the ends. A very good learning lab for some of the characteristics that Bob S. and others discuss regularly. In fact, my plan at lunch today is to look up a few posts in the archive and print them to take with me as I'm walking the yard.

Anyway, back to the question at hand...anyone bought cypress recently? If so, what did you pay?

Thanks and Happy New Year, Ethan

yeah, they're not sinkers - of that I'm sure. Although with the storm going on outside right now, they may be in an hour!

Sounds like a great price to me. If you are allowed to pick out your lumber, it's even better. Cypress air dries rapidly and also absorbs moisture rapidly. The later is sometimes viewed as a negatve for boat lumber. Cypress heart lumber is rot resistant but the sapwood is much less so. I like white cedar (juniper) better in boats but cypress will take bends much better.
    Tom L

I am from Fairhope. I have been looking for some good sources for wood for some time. Would you mind supplying your source for future purposes. Rob

Ethan, for non sinker, I'd say that's an average price for Cypress in central Alabama.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    ...He wants $0.90 a bf....
    Dunno much about the Eastern market, but log prices are down right now all over the country because of the housing slump and your hurricane glut of timber.

I did find that in Louisiana, the latest log price report for the period ending June 2006, the average price for Baldcypress logs was 9 cents a bf by the Doyle Scale:

http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/multimed...rts/200624.pdf

In contrast, I can get $.90 a bf for my cedar in the log by the Doyle Scale...and if I milled them, I'd need around $1.60/bf average on the lumber from those logs just to break even on overhead and labor.

http://www.inlandforest.com/log-prices.html

Thatís at least 70 cents a bf I need for the added value. If your sawyer is paying 9 cents and selling at 90 cents, his prices are entirely reasonable. Especially if he allows you to cherry pick out select stock.

thanks for the input folks! Skylark, pm me and I'll be happy to give you the info. Will probably be sun or mon until I can get back to you though.

Thanks again, Ethan

Doesn't directly apply to this case but the last cypress I bought (KD select and better for garden furniture) was $5.75 bdft for 8/4 in central Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by kc8pql
    Doesn't directly apply to this case but the last cypress I bought (KD select and better for garden furniture) was $5.75 bdft for 8/4 in central Ohio.
    It about that price, buddy... Ya figured it right, around about $6.00 a board foot by the time you get it at your door...
    save a nose, pick a banjo