Thread: Plans for wooden boat stands?

Does anyone have, or know where to find, plans to make boat stands out of wood? I'm talking about the braces that you commonly see supporting the hull at boat yards when the boat isn't on a trailer. I may not be calling them the proper name - there's probably some nautical term for them. I can build just about anything out of wood, but I don't have the metal working tools or experience.
    Any help would be appreciated.

A search of the Woodenboat Index shows an article in issue 18, page 51.

Contact WB for a reprint?

Cradle would be the term.

I suggest that you price the Brownell steel stands. They're very good and very reasonably priced.

Paul Gartside sells plans for beaching legs. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for:

http://www.gartsideboats.com/catsail3.php#weekender

What size boat?

Metal boat stands (sometimes called poppets) can be had for $50. or so, maybe cheaper used. A 25' boat might need $200 worth. They seem to get stolen a lot.

A suitable cradle might cost $75.00 for materials. If you can store the boat on your property, it's easier to move the boat around without calling the hauler.

However, what choices do you have for boat haulers? A Brownell style trailer can't deal with a cradle easily (read: chainsaw), and hydraulic flatbeds (which can't handle boat stands) might be scarce.

Then there's the issue of cradle storage at the ramp.

I bought used Brownell stands a few years back, from Brownell for $50/each.

I walked around a bit and saw new ones getting made.
    Kinda fun. I suppose the cost of a cradle goes up sharply the bigger the boat gets.

have Fun
    Bob

Thanks for all the input. What I'm thinking of is something for a 26'Bartender. I hope to start building soon and I'm thinking ahead to when I turn the hull. I'll eventually get a home for it on a trailer, but that could be some time off. It may be easier and more stable to just build an entire wooden cradle.

Originally posted by Dave Burright:
    Does anyone have, or know where to find, plans to make boat stands out of wood? I'm talking about the braces that you commonly see supporting the hull at boat yards when the boat isn't on a trailer. I may not be calling them the proper name - there's probably some nautical term for them. I can build just about anything out of wood, but I don't have the metal working tools or experience.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    [ 03-28-2004, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Miller, Robert W. ]

Wooden Boat March/April 1986 page 86(I think issue #69) has an article(8 pages) with drawings and photos on how to build various cradles for various sizes (different hull shapes too).
    Check your local library for Wooden Boat magazine and look at it for free.

Downingtown Pa (S/V UTOPIA down in Somer's Point, NJ)

The last time I bought Brownel boat stands they were $135.00 a piece... That adds up for 6 or more of them. The last time I made a cradle for a larger boat, It cost me $200.00 bucks... do the math!

any way, George Beughler has a whole section in his boatbuilding book on cradles.

-Thad

The price of Brownell stands vary significantly with size. Defender's website quotes prices for new stands at $65 for small powerboat stands, up to $120 for large sailboat stands. Prices for used stands around here generally hover around half-retail. Last week I paid $40 each for well-used 36" sailboat stands. Of course, shipping is the killer with these things.

For what it's worth, most of the <28' powerboats in my club use less expensive automotive axle stands with homemade plywood tops.