Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fein rant (pics)

Default 20 years with a Fein

I've had mine since the original US import model, with the natural aluminum body. I use it for just two things -
    Sanding. Use when nothing else will fit.
    Cutting with the full round blade. Use when nothing else will fit.

I've never bought the other gadgets because they're way too expensive, and I have functional alternates.

It's great for these two uses - and only if there's no alternative. I don't use it that much, but love it when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Faneuf
    ...I've never bought the other gadgets because they're way too expensive, and I have functional alternates...
    I have one of these tools too. It's great at what it does, but someone at Fein needs to understand how many folks have expressed Ross's views on cost.
    This seems to be a basic failure of economics:
    Fein makes $0.00 on products they don't sell.
    A high margin is no doubt a fine thing (if you can make it), but a company that is not selling a product due to high cost isn't making as much $'s as it could be.

I know I would use mine more if the attachments weren't so dear.

I'd venture that fein would make more money at lower sales price as usage would boom.

Sounds like Reagan-nomics...

We're all assuming that because we don't buy the scandalously priced attachments, then no one does. When I was at the woodenboat show a few years ago most of the fein goodies were gone by saturday noon.

I'm in line with Ross. I use it ONLY when I don't have another convenient alternative. As time has passed, I've developed a lot of little tricks and doodads that have allowed me to use the multimaster VERY little.

I think if I were to add up all the money I've spent on the tool and its consumables and divide by the time I've actually spent using it, I'd land somewhere around $5/minute. I think next in line on that math would be my router at maybe $0.50/minute.
    That's it. My multimaster is going on ebay next week.

While we're ranting on expensive proprietary blades that don't last for crap, am I the only one who thinks Bosch jigsaw blades should last at least as long as the other guy's if they're going to cost so much?
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I e-mailed Fein USA and asked about the price of their attachments. It was a nice letter, mentioning this thread and inviting them to explain their pricing policies to us.

So far, nada, zip, zilch! I guess they can't be bothered. Time for somebody to come out with an after-market line of Fein attachments, I'd say.

I don't think that Festool makes the same tool that broke and started this thread but. . . . . . . Their very accessable, I've used their sander for hundreds of hours, and their parts--including sandpaper are very reasonably priced. I think anybody with a big sanding job in front of them will be very happy with this system.

Angry Fein Patents

I looked up the Fein US patents. The first (US6099397) entitled "Power Sander" covers the Multimaster and expires March 7, 2018.

Fein has another patent (US6976888) entitled "Power Tool Having a Receptacle for Securing a Tool". This covers the new attachment "star" design and expires Dec 20, 2020. (Actually, what we thought was a "star" design on the attachments is actually "a plurality of bulges displaced outwardly from a center axis of the drive shaft" - patents make great reading.)

So...we will probably be laboring under Fein's pricing policies for a long time to come. And there is a reason why there aren't any competitors out there selling Multimaster knockoffs, or even the Multimaster attachments. It could constitute patent infringement.

In the credit-where-credit-is-do department:

While their cutting attachments may be less than desirable for the price, the finger-tip sanding thing really did the trick on these cockpit seats.

I don't have before pictures, but I used the Multimaster with the finger-tip sanding attachment (120 grit) to get the facing edges of the slats on this project. The slats measure between 42" and 48" - so using 45" as an average, by 20 surfaces x 2 seats = 1800" liner inches of sanded surface . Actually, there's more if you count the top and bottom, but I'm just talking about what I did with the Multimaster.

Sanding the 1800" internal liner inches with the Multimaster, I spent approximately 2 hours per bench and went through eleven 120 grit pads.

So 4 hours and eleven sanding pads later - TA DA!

(OK, so plus taping off and hitting the top with the DA and the bottom by hand, there's 5 hours in each seat. But I shudder to think at the time involved if I had to hand sand the whole business... )
    Last edited by Concordia...41; 02-25-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Smile Fine Fein & Dremel

I used the smallest Fein teak reefing attachment (3mm) and it worked very well and held up. It even routed out some seams that were too narrow, and I then had to sharpen it, with some success.

By the way, I purchased the Dremel tile grout routing attachment and a 1/8" (slightly bigger than 3mm) tungstun carbide cutter. The attachment has two 'nubs' on it which are designed to follow the depression between tiles, so you can reef out the grout. With the deck seams fairly clean, we are using this tool to rout the seams out. A very nice result.....much handier than a router so it even works near the rail and cabin side. Unfortunately, the noise is somewhat like the sound of several young ladies simultaneously being axe-murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia...41 View Post
    In the credit-where-credit-is-do department:

Sanding the 1800" internal liner inches with the Multimaster, I spent approximately 2 hours per bench and went through eleven 120 grit pads.

So 4 hours and eleven sanding pads later - TA DA!

(OK, so plus taping off and hitting the top with the DA and the bottom by hand, there's 5 hours in each seat. But I shudder to think at the time involved if I had to hand sand the whole business... )
    The math will get even drearier if you decide to finish with varnish!

I have spent years avoiding a Fein purchase. For instance, we have odd sized louvered doors on the master bedroom's closets. There's no question they were built on site in 1928 to the dimensions required. A marvel really, but a terrible hassle to prep for paint (all six of them) and unthinkably expensive to replace.

I was sure I'd have to break down for the tool on this project, but Lindy asked if I couldn't make solid panels to replace the louvers, which she never liked anyway. Looked at it for a bit and decided to do it! So, I'm still Feinless. One of these days maybe, but not yet!

My boatyard uses the Fien mostly saw blades HSS indespensable in some cases in others we use a diffrent tool. I have one at home 50/50 saw and sander geeat tool. Always bitch at the cost of blades.

At the MBBS, I harangued the Fein salesman about the godawful cost of blades. Properly shamed, he sold me a couple of the hss blades(usually about $60) for $20 each.

I made a reefing cutter to fit my Maketa pannel saw, I am still Fein less.
    TALLY HO
    Ken

Just finished an extensive bung in epoxy job.

With a file some of the tools can last a lot longer. Its pretty easy to touch up the teeth of the semicircular cutting blade with a small triangle file. But bungs were too big for it.

The offset saw worked really well. Flush cut some 4-500 oak/ pine bungs and seems ready for more.

The rigid scraper attachment cleans up epoxy really nicely and can easily be resharpened.

The tools are too expensive. Had not thought about making plywood attachments.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

just bought some spare saws for my fein Multimaster from Bosch
    fits Fein Multimaster( round 10mm hole)
    these are for the Bosch PMF 180E they have some bimetal and HSS saws round and staight and a choice of velcro pads +paper
    and they are cheaper!
    http://www.bosch-presse.de/TBWebDB/e...arch=1&id=3005
    Last edited by werner; 09-07-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: link

Default Re: Fein rant (pics)

hello-
    I'm new and this might have already been answered. I finally
    bought a fein multimaster and am still in shock over the price.
    I looked for an alternative, but their really isn't. They have a cheap
    looking bosch alternative, but it's not sold in the USA. I don't know
    why their is not more knock offs. They must have great patent
    attorneys, because the basic design is nothing more than a bone,
    or medical cast saw? I used one when i interned at a the coroner's
    office. If anyone has the inside scoop, I would like to know? thanks

One particular problem with the Fein tool, especially the new sort with the flip-latch setup, is not seating the cutting/sawing bit properly, leaving room for vibration. Any play whatsoever will cause the thin-gauge sawblades to self-destruct.

Owing to my carelessness, one of the (bloody expensive) HSS segment sawblades shattered: shrapnel. If I'd been in the wayŚ alas!

Before starting the tool, double-check that the bit is seated properly. Saves money (and maybe surgical repairs).

We use the fein regularly to sand up to vertical surfaces. With 2 layers of masking tape you cansand right up to a vertical surface without damaging it. Weused to have 2 of their 8" DAs as well.They were lost in a fire and were not demmed cost effective enough to replace. Dynabrade is our sander model of choice right now. We have several of their 11 1/4" DAs(not really a DA but simillar) and are very pleased with them. Set up with vacuum hoods as well. They also make a 2" right angle sander with a long snout. They sell 3" soft and hard velcro pads for these and this tool(3200rpmiirc) has become one of our favorites. It's much more controlable than a right angle die grinder and has a working height ov only 2 " David