Thread: Schooner "ZACA"

Default Schooner "ZACA"

My friend Ward Vance, who is restoring the Seawanhaka Schooner "Charmian" dropped by the other day with a CD that tells the story of the life and restoration of the 118' Schooner "ZACA". The boat, once owned by Errol Flynn, has had a remarkable life and has just under gone an extensive restoration by persons that understand the true worth of such a historical vessel.
    You can check out her web site at:
    http://www.zaca.com/Chronology.html
    Your local library may have a CD as well.
    JG
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-11-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Built at the south end of Sausalito in the old Nunes Brother's yard. Damn shame she ever left SF Bay. At least the Riveira playboys have the bucks to restore her and keep her up! If you want to know what happened to so many of the great US yachts of the golden age, go to the Riviera!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek
    Built at the south end of Sausalito in the old Nunes Brother's yard. Damn shame she ever left SF Bay. At least the Riveira playboys have the bucks to restore her and keep her up! If you want to know what happened to so many of the great US yachts of the golden age, go to the Riviera!
    The boat was too big to fit in the Nunes Brothers yard so they built her in the street. This was during the depression and the boat kept a lot of people working.
    JG

ZACA was in an absolutely terrible condition. Her lead ballast had been sold many years ago, masts rotten away, planking mostly gone, patched with cement and plywood, skylights, interior: gone, fastening (iron) gone. She was kept at Voisin shipyard in Villefranche (France) who used her as a convenient hiding of their benefits , pretending to sink money into her...although doing NOTHING for her. They slowly accumulated an enourmous pretended debt of the ship to them, up to when they were able to sell her.
    She was then kept afloat miraculously in toulon, along with some miserable vessels.
    But what a BEAUTY she was!!!!!
    I have spent hours contemplating her (and also stealing all the bronze sheaves of her few remaining blocks ...), and is one early love for American schooners for me. She is just as beautiful as Mariette (you want to see her in a force 5, all canvass on) or Vagrant (I saw vagrant - staysail schooner converted- beating to windward in a gale with staysail and forestaysail...wouaouh!), and is one of the greatest ships I have seen.
    But she was in such a terrible condition that it would be better builing a new one. I have not seen her after her recent refit, but been told it was a cheap work (of course: considering the size of the xvessel: not THAT cheap), and structurally weak. Still, she sails!
    An other schooner called Zaca te Moana has been built, is steel, as much as possible a copy of Flynn s Zaca. She is not as pretty in details: ugly roofs), but her sailplan is the same, and she sails very well.
    Look at that!
    Last edited by Lucky Luke; 12-16-2006 at 08:04 PM.

I can sympathise with your concerns about the quality of rebuild on Zaca. I am of the old school, where a man was known by the quality of his work! If it may be of any condolence to you, follow the thread of the rebuilding of the Seawanhaka Schooner "Charmian".
    Best regards,
    Jay Greer

Wisconsin--Lake Michigan, where the water tastes funny

It's very sad that Zaca fell on evil times and has not been properly restored to anything like original condition. She was the Nunes brothers' masterpiece, the largest vessel they ever built, and a genuine "gold plater". They were fine builders, best known for smaller one-design boats, particularly the famous "Bear" class. Zaca was the queen of the St. Francis YC fleet all during the '30's (except for extended voyaging) until she was taken into service during WWII. As a young kid prowling the docks, hoping for an invitation to sail on just about anything, I went on a couple of races aboard Zaca, as I recall a Lightship Race and one around the buoys in the Bay.

I was parked next to Zaca a te Moana a couple of weeks ago in Las Palmas. She's very nice if a bit industrial.

Interesting to not that sjhe sets her topsails from the deck (and has to reset them every time she tacks)

Here is a picture of Zaca a te Moana, in Las Palmas Gran Canaria, in early December.

Gareth,
    Thanks for the up date on "Zaca". I get the impression that the work is a little rough? That will not be the case with "Charmian".
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Interesting to not that she sets her topsails from the deck (and has to reset them every time she tacks)
    I used to have that feature, with two wires from the top of the mast down to the deck each side of the mast for guiding the topsail, and one hallyard each side: hoisting and hauling down was so quick and easy! ...otherwise, one has to go aloft! The only difficulty was she sheet that had to be carried past the main when tacking, and I had considered having two sheets also.

For short tacks, anyway, one can let the topsail bear on the peak hallyards...no big do if it does not last long.

Default Re: Schooner "ZACA"

Help!!

I am planning to build BLUENOSE I as a RC-model.
    Last night a clubmate told me(very seriusly)that ZACA and BLUENOSE was the same construction. I was protesting but no,"itīs the same construction".
    In my little world ZACA was 118 foot and BLUENOSE was 160 foot(something).
    Maybe the designer of ZACA was a big fan(who isnīt)of BLUENOSE?
    Can somone help me out?

Regards.

hagbard
    SWEDEN

Welcome Hagbard, yes they are seriously different boats.

I'm at work, and don't have access to the pictures.

One of our members (S/V Laura Ellen) has a small version of Bluenose

As regards ZACA vs. BLUENOSE, if you follow the link in the first post, you will note that in the 1928 section (origins) there is an illustration which purports to be of ZACA, but which (1) obviously isn't, and (2) appears to be something very much along the lines of the BLUENOSE's type, if not BLUENOSE itself. Note especially the length of the stern overhang--I think ZACA has more than the illustrated schooner (there is also the fact that it is drawn with Canadian colors flying).

Is it possible that this is what is confusing Hagbard's associate?

Quote Originally Posted by N. J. Harris View Post
    As regards ZACA vs. BLUENOSE, if you follow the link in the first post, you will note that in the 1928 section (origins) there is an illustration which purports to be of ZACA, but which (1) obviously isn't, and (2) appears to be something very much along the lines of the BLUENOSE's type, if not BLUENOSE itself. Note especially the length of the stern overhang--I think ZACA has more than the illustrated schooner (there is also the fact that it is drawn with Canadian colors flying).

Is it possible that this is what is confusing Hagbard's associate?
    My clubmate is confused of a lot of things. But now he is very silent after your answers!

Regards.

hagbard