Thread: carolina dory in slow mode

Default carolina dory in slow mode

I've been looking at some of the larger carolina dories, around 20 to 24 ft. I've been wondering how they perform in displacement and semi-displacement mode. I'm not looking to go fast or far, but want some seaworthyness for venturing out on to Ontario and Erie.

I'm interested in the 24 foot Key Largo from
    http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_cdories.html

Those who have owned used larger carolina dories, what can you tell me about the breed. wake in displacement mode is one area I'm particularly interested in as I'll be on the Erie canal a fair amount also. I'd like to stay below 25 horse outboard as my homeowners handles liability under that hp. actually I like 15 hp even better.

You are talking about three very different bodies of water and offhand I would say a flat bottomed boat, even one of 24 feet, is not the best compromise.
    Fifteen HP on a boat that is in excess of 20 feet isn't much. If you ever try to travel upstream on the Niagra River from the canal into Lake Erie there are spots where 15 HP may not let you prevail against the current. And even 25 Hp will probably limit you to displacement speeds in average circumstances. If you get into motor sizes that will take you beyond displacement speed that flat bottom is likely to beat you to death in a chop. On a shallow lake like Erie the chop is world famous and can appear at a moments notice.
    A large flat bottomed, low power boat will work but you will, probably, have to make some concessions as to when you go out, how far from shore you go and how much pounding you are willing to suffer if the weather goes sour when you are on the water.
    Last edited by Cuyahoga Chuck; 12-11-2006 at 02:30 PM.

I was born and raised in one Carolina and live in the other one. I have no idea how the "Carolina Dory" got its name. I'm pretty sure that no indiginous boat to either Carolina is a dory.

Anybody know where this name came from. Maybe Jim Orel started it marketing Texas or Carolina dories because he liked the sound of the name..
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 12-12-2006 at 10:27 AM.
    Tom L

If you go here.- http://www.glen-l.com
    And look under the customer photo section, then at the sweet carolina a 20ft. carolina dory by glen-l, you will find about 10 people that built one and sent in the pictures with comments.
    That might shed a little light on the subject.

Spira's 24 fter is very nice and well balanced, of course it took 24 ft. to make it balanced. I think glen-l's is too short at 20ft.
    I almost built spira's 24 fter on my last boat, and kinda wished I had.
    From what I have heard these boats do very well at dissplacement, and semi-dissplacement speeds. Of course they are flat so on plane, the water needs to also be a little on the flat side.
    I would stick with at least the 25 and you really don't need more then a 40.

I remember jim orel advertising in small boat journal back in the early 80's and he called them or a similar hull - texas dory's.

carolina skiff is a fiberglass johnboat of commerical manufacture.

I want slow speed info on a carolina dory, or as Gardner also calls them a semi dori, I believe.

I just looked at Gardner's Semi/Half Dory plans this am -- interesting!

One shows an outboard well/slot to provide more reserve boyancy than just hanging it on the transom.

Here's a Duckworks article on various semi dories -
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/...fair/index.htm

Last edited by Thorne; 12-12-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Actually the semi-dory is a knuckled sided dory, that was designed for outboard power. But with a much greater beam to length ratio, where as the carolina dory is a much slimmer (straight sided) dory, and needs a much longer length to beam ratio to balance out.
    Two different animals, but of the same family for sure.
    Last edited by RonW; 12-12-2006 at 11:49 PM.

Default Re: carolina dory in slow mode

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    Spira's 24 fter is very nice and well balanced, of course it took 24 ft. to make it balanced. I think glen-l's is too short at 20ft.
    I almost built spira's 24 fter on my last boat, and kinda wished I had.
    From what I have heard these boats do very well at dissplacement, and semi-dissplacement speeds. Of course they are flat so on plane, the water needs to also be a little on the flat side.
    I would stick with at least the 25 and you really don't need more then a 40.
    Hi there, I'm moving to Grand Cayman, and I'd like to build a boat and do a little fishing. I was thinking about building Spira's 18' Carolina Dory, are you suggesting with your post that it may not be balanced? I think the water out there is pretty flat most of the time.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Seb.