Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Speaking of Living Aboard...

Well the SE wind is howling here again today, we'll have another power outage in a bit. Christmas eve by firelight....that's okay.

When anyone mentions short, steep chop, I think about long and lean boats, to bridge a few waves and smooth things out.

Got to go and check the boats shortly, but here's the updated PB model. Our guy is a bit crude, but you get the idea.

Best wishes for a fine Christmas to all, Tad.

Tad....Love the boat....but for me the house is too big......offshore I would be afraid of a BIG greenie coming across the deck, and traditionally boatbuilders do not build the house to the same structural standards as the hull.....although I must confess that I have never (knock on wood [the head]) been in a bad storm at sea.....being the worlds biggest coward I tend to run and hide, and have sat out raining and stormy seasons in some faraway places because of anticipated storms at sea.......but it sure do look like a short Tana Mari or a Hess hull.........
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

TR - do you know/know of Greg Foster (Whaler Bay, Gabriola). He built Nanoose (1979), and a beautiful job of her too. Just curious.

It's uncannily close to the pocket cruiser I have drawn in my dreams many times. Although the smaller the boat the less practical it is to have the cabin so far aft - doesn't leave enough room for the cockpit. Paladin, I think the stem is quite different from signature Hess, who usually drew a little more curve to it.

Hi Chuck,

I agree the house would be a liability off the Horn, but this boat's primary role is as a liveaboard in a dark and rainy climate. Also a part of the world with spectacular scenery all around. The big windows will make a difference in the quality of life aboard, both winter and summer. For offshore passages storm covers of either aluminum plate or plywood with tiny ports will be fitted.

Hess's influence? Absolutely, and Atkin before him. I'm afraid I just can't find an argument against volume in a live aboard vessel. In comparison to the majority of Hess's hulls, the Pilot Bay is fuller at the deck forward, the bow is less rounded and forefoot better defined, has less tumblehome amidships, and steeper buttocks aft for a slightly higher prismatic.

Nanoose,
    Greg was (and is again I believe) two Islands south at Whaler Bay, Galiano Island. We see a number of boats quite regularly.

Jim,
    Yes, one of the problems with little boats is that empty, they must float bow down to deal with the weight of people in the cockpit. To most people this appears to be a mistake on the designers’ part when viewing a boat at anchor with no one aboard.

The wind is up and down like a yo-yo today, just dropped off so we'll go do our chores. My best to all.

Tad

Yup...I understand where she will sail and be homeported...
    When I did the drawings for Tana Mari I asked Jay Benford to critique the work, and he made the same remarks, about adding volume forward. After giving it a lot of thought, and rethinking about where I wanted to sail, I left it a little more fine forward with the low house, and the deck structure was built to the same standards as the hull.....I was very happy with her performance....
    On the "windows"......I removed the tempered glass from the ports that I copied in Thailand...then had safety glass cut to the same outside dimensions, and then one piece of lexan...I sandwiched the safety glass on the outside for scratch resistance and the lexan in the middle using the optically transparent epoxy used to put prescription lenses in diving maskes......never broke a one.......
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

If that cabin size was to work, it would have to be over-built by the usual standards and the glass or lexan would have to be thru-bolted and of a thickness to be a little heavy for the purpose,...but it could work. The appearance would be a little more complicated due to the needed reinforcements but I'd go for it.

Oh, and I'd make the front ports smaller and angled back. That front-facing verticle is offering too much of a wall to the waves.
    Last edited by Kitlani; 12-24-2006 at 07:57 PM.

and yes Jim, I so noted the stem......but the boat drawings ain't done yet....'cause I wanted to see the size of the scuppers on that cockpit...but as Tad sez......different homeport and purposes (I like small cockpits offshore)....in port the visitors can sit on the coachroof....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

The over all feel the style and placement of the house gives is almost that of a 30s motor cruiser. If there's some Atkin and Hess influence you might also even toss in a bit of Elco! (That's meant as a complement btw.)

Bump. Love that boat!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

bump

I once lived aboard a thirty-foot wooden ocean racer. It had four single berths and two small lockers, port and starboard. And a cedar bucket.

"Ahoy there, name 's Tanbark, but people who know me just call me 'crusty ol' vagrant'." "Bath? Well, when was the last time it rained?" "Most of the characters anchored out there need a good steam cleaning."

Talking

Lived aboard for 11 years on a wood /glass home built Vancouver 27,for all four seasons. Cruised the eastern seaboard from Maine to Fla which included one single handed passage to Bermuda. It was tight living and if I had to do it again it would be a much bigger boat. It was like living in a walk in closet. Winters in the NE were the toughest . Heater breaking down, rats trying to get inside . Propane explosions and fires aboard and one near sinking.( Got skin grafts from that one) Warring with racoons for permission to board are among my unpleasant memories. The good stuff, all here that have done some cruising know all ready, but one I haven’t seen mentioned is snow hitting the deck over my head was a pleasant sound , if you’re snuggled in your sleeping bag and all systems functioning.
    Pictured below a calm day during my Bermuda passage& Inside the boat.

Senior Ole Salt # 650

youse guys look warm and cozy......my most recent memories are being bundled in undies...net underwear (long johns)...icelandic woolies on top of that, jeans and wool shirt, and then oilies on top of all that and FREEZIN' MY FANNY OFF!
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Default Live-aboard, never bored.

Referring to #122-J.Dillon

Yes, there is something peaceful about rain hitting the roof over your head when that is only a few inches away. My wife and I plus 'Mizzen the cat' found it cozy and warm. Two small electric heaters kept it comfortable through the coldest winter in 100 years along the Toronto shore. The ice build-up was a concern when the bubblers weren't effective and the ice pressed in on our wooden hard-chine hull, but other than that...life was good. A boat make for a great HOME. (The neighbours are better too.)

34' LOA
    9.5' BEAM
    Old style, no living space under the cockpit.

Default Re: Speaking of Living Aboard...

This thread needs a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    This thread needs a bump.
    And this design in particular:

I like it too.
    I know Tad's really busy but I was searching around for mention of his own boat project and came across this one. Couldn't resist the bump, too many good things going on.

Boats take time; good boats take lots of time.

Surprisingly enough Barrett and I were going over the construction details for the Pilot Bay on Saturday night. That was at the party after launching her tender for the PB 38. I think she may start laminating frames in the next month or two and I'll post some pics of the tender tomorrow.
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    I'll post some pics of the tender tomorrow.
    We'll be waiting...

Default Standing up for standing up

Bad backs are a curse of sailors—

Having had too much fun with horses and mountaineering packs, I've earned my cranky spine. And extended stays aboard most 30-40 ft. yachts are pretty hard on it.

Being tall (193.5 cm / 6 ft 4 in +) I really notice the effect of having to stoop or to keep my head bent forward during routine tasks like steering or cooking. So I'd look for ample headroom to stand straight (and even stretch) especially at the inside helm station and in the galley.

This design appears to afford that sort of headroom.

Another residential issue is having the flat space (preferably out of the downpour) to do yoga or other stretching exercises. Could be a berth with a really firm mattress, or the unobstructed cabin sole.

Details like headroom and seating arrangements can make the difference between a pleasant liveaboard and extended torture.

Ah, another lovely Tad boat. Mazel tov, Tad and Barrett!

Hi Chris, nice to see you here...

A good tender is vital if you do not live aboard at a dock. With moorage costs going through the roof, anchoring out is the answer for independent people. With solar and wind sources of power, coupled with limited use via led lighting, etc, one can live comfortably at anchor.

For the hundreds of chores around a small harbour, the tiny tug is very useful. Towing boats, logs, floats, etc, running out anchors, and general freight, a great deal of work can be done with small HP.

A small inboard diesel is a nice thing, outboards are okay, but if one has use for a small tug, the inboard is the way to go. The Jigger is 11'3" long and about 4'10" wide, power is a 13HP Beta. So far this engine runs on fumes.

Barrett launched the first Jigger, "Sophie" on Saturday, the sun shone as requested. Of course the tide was way out....the boat is up high on the trailer because of the deep keel to protect her 12" prop.

And she floats.....

And away they go.....

Oh.....obviously Barrett has now completed her Boatbuilding apprenticeship.....nice work!
    Last edited by TR; 04-22-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added coment

Thirteen horsepower turning a 12 inch prop. That is one mighty little boat. Is there a link to pictures of the build, including engine and prop?

Yes, look here http://barrettfaneuf.livejournal.com/ for a blog and many pics of the tender project.

Cool blog. Heck of a boat.

Interesting concept and beautifully done.
    How will it operate when cruising though? Bit heavy for davits? or not?

hi tad,

good to see you. that tender is a beaut.

how is your boat going?

John,

The glued lap ply "frameless" construction is certainly far lighter than Sophie's slightly larger predecessor, done with African mahogany on oak frames. Tackles and some nice winches will be required to get her up on the davits. I haven't measured flotation yet to calculate her exact weight, roughly 550-600 pounds. The purpleheart rails and posts don't help. For offshore passages she will go on the foredeck of the PB38, portside of the mast.

Ian,

Thanks....Blackfish is the first to be neglected when other events happen. Things are moving, slower than I would like (as always) but I refuse to put timetables on her. Interior is mostly stripped out, opened up the bad rot spots (of which there are two so far, and one of these is minor), and fresh flat white undercoat is going on. Next will come new cabin sole, and outside work over the summer. I'll add something to the Cogge thread at some point.
    Last edited by TR; 04-23-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Cool blog. Heck of a boat.

There is something enduringly beautiful about a practical working boat of any type. Strength, utility and simplicity. This is a wonderfully workmanlike example. A labor of love.
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Thought I would reload Bill Rothrocks schooner.
    ftp://204.246.9.94/schooner7.jpg
    You can see a bigger pic here.
    ftp://204.246.9.94/schooner6.jpg
    Last edited by Trisailing; 05-14-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Bump for Duncan