Thread: 1955 Alden Yawl (Malabar XV)

I admit it ... I'm boatstruck. After a year and a half of watching, waiting, dealing with hard to reach boat brokers and reasuring my hesitant wife, I am now a wooden boat owner. I learned so much from this forum and after reading all the suggested books and with hands on guidence from Lee Erheart (shipwright) I found myself enjoying the recaulking of some seams and renuing the paint on the bottom and topsides recently. My wife is now in love with the boat and we will tackle the varnish work this spring. I was hoping that some one here might know some history of Malabar and how she got to be on the West Coast. She has had two other names, Nora and Aspara, as far as I've been able to find out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Congradulations, on having a wonderful wife! PS the boat looks mighty nice too!

Looking at the Alden record since the late 20s I don't see those names. MALABAR was the name John Alden used for his personal boats, MALABAR I through XIII. We will need to know more about your boat to tell you more, but CONGRATULATIONS!! Have fun!!!

Thank you, according to the Alden firm she is Malabar XV, #901-A, John Alden's last Malabar. The book of his yacht designs mentions her as well. I am intrested in who owned her over the years, I've only got records that go back to 1968.

Thad, Sorry I just noticed you are in Marblehead ... that's where Malabar was built, by James Graves.

[ 10-26-2005, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Neo ]

I see! Thank you. I see Jim Graves (grandson) once in a while, if I remember I will ask him what he knows.