Thread: Rigging a Snipe Class dinghy.

Default Rigging a Snipe Class dinghy.

The Snipe is a 15-1/2 foot, 2 person, one design performance racing dinghy designed by William Crosby in 1931. The previous owner has removed the lines and then sold the boat. Now we would like to bring this old boat back to good condition. The hull has been restored, now for the cockpit. We can rig the boat simply just to get her on the water but would like to rig her fully to get the best out of the boat.

Does anyone on the Forum own a Snipe Class dinghy? Either in wood or in modern materials.

Can anyone post photos of the muscle box showing how the lines run?

Where is the deck and cockpit hardware best positioned? There are many modifications, possibly to allow the boat to be sailed single handed amongst the other mods.

Is the muscle box on a Snipe always positioned just forward of the CB case as it is on this dinghy? On the boat I crew the muscle box is on the mast just below deck height and it appears to be calibrated differently on the Snipe (looking at the datum points and use-wear on the box).

It isn't evident where the vang/kicking strap is attatched to the mast, there are many options to do this. How does the old saying go, "the more holes that are drilled in an aluminium mast, the stronger the mast gets." Then this mast should be very strong.

This boat has many cleats, blocks, and anchor points, more than I can sort out without guessing. The hardware has been moved a lot over the decades ... and no holes have been filled. Joining these dots isn't self explanatory.

I'm able to post photograps of the boat (as always) but would appreciate seeing cockpit photos and deck images showing a fully functioning set of lines.

My other option is to rig the boat like a 470 but I'd still have spare cleats and blocks. This is one complex dinghy so if we can get her right we should be able to get her going.

Cheers in advance. She is a smart looking boat with the vintage Snipe design. If you are a modern Snipe owner your phptos and knowledge will be even more usefull.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-21-2006 at 05:30 PM.

These guys can help you.
    http://www.snipe.org/
    Jay

They haven't helped at all. Thanks anyway. Snipe org was the first place visited.

The Snipe's owner has already put questions on Snipe org and after waiting for a long while because the traffic is slow to non existant there, he finally got a reply which said, "Look at another Snipe." In Australia going on a Snipe hunt would be just that, going on a Snipe hunt. The photography on Snipe org is very ordinary with no detail in the shadows ... what is in the shadows in the photos in the technical articles is what is needed.

Someone here might own a Snipe.

I spent this morning on the boat, she will most likely be rigged like a 470 unless (if all else fails). The boats are very similar, except for the muscle box. By noon today we had the boat on the water.

Everything else has been set up on the boat now except for the muscle box and spinnaker (the spinnaker will be easy)... today the boat had a self raking mast, that worked in reverse. That's why we need the muscle box to be set up and be well calibrated to set the rake, the pre bend and what ever else.

What is making the muscle box difficult is that the modifications that have been inflicted on the boat are measured in the dozens ... with many bits missing or many extra bits added ... there is almost a dozen small blocks on the consul beside the mast, which has me totally puzzled. The previous owner had a Harken small block fettish it appears. He didn't take the broken cheaper blocks off the boat and replace them, he just kept adding new blocks beside or near the broken ones but I could be wrong. They might all be needed ... for something special.

The boat has raced in world championships in very exotic places ... the race stickers are still on the boat. The boat belonged to a diplomat who has left Australia and this time didn't take the boat with him. Finding another Snipe will not be easy here ... "Here Snipe, Snipe, Snipe, Snipe."

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-23-2006 at 06:38 AM.

Get yourself a copy of Royce's "Sailing Illustrated", a book everyone should have. He's got a detailed drawing of a snipe rig. Great boat, I had one in my college days and it was a blast.

CC welcome to the Forum. Thanks Mate, that is excellent help.

Check out the hardware on the consul ... there is almost 2 dozen bits of hardware on the consul. Inside the consul there are cleats still. Other small blocks behind the mast are not showing. 'Cleat Central' rather than consul might be a better term. There are many cleats and blocks not in the photograph.

The dinghy has a few wooden bits ... that need coating.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-23-2006 at 07:00 AM.

Hey Wassa,

I have a Snipe up in Portland, OR. I did not get it down here yet. There is a very active class up in Seattle. Maybe Lew could go over and get you connected via email with one of those guys.
    I will also forward this to a friend of mine who is friends with some Thistle racers from the same club and maybe he can get you someone to corrospond with.
    But my first impression is that that boat is not set up for class racing anymore. Unless the rules have changed since I last looked them up. To my knowledge there is no spinaker allowed on Snipes (for racing), nor is there Trapeze gear allowed.

Your "muscle box" (the tensioning of the jib tool) is mounted where mine is. My halyards, both main and jib, feed down through the mast. The jib exits just above the step on the keel and then I connect it to the "muscle box". The main halyard (wire) has a stop swaged onto it and it slips into a slot on the side of the mast. It exits just above the deck about 1 foot. After that I have a downhual pully that I use the first four feet of the main halyard (rope for pulling most of the cable down through the mast) as a down haul and tighten the wingnut locking the boom into the slot.
    There is a C hook screwed to the mast just above where it enters the deck and the boom vang is attached to that.
    The jib has a "cunningham device". My jib has a wire luff line and hanks on the sail. The sail slides up and down the wire luff depending upon how hard I pull on the cunningham and how high up I pull the halyard. sounds confusing but what happens is the wire luff takes all the strain off of the fore stay once the jib is flying. Then I can control the shape of the jib for reaching or close hauling. I also have an adjustable out haul on the main. Flip it and the main is tight and not baggy for down wind work. Flip it back the other direction and she is as tight as a drum.

Try googling Cobra Masts. That is the "new mast" that was only two years old on my snipe when I bought it from a man who was leaving the Willamette Sailing club. He gave me a huge printout from their website on how to tune a Cobra II mast for a snipe.

I must say that boat is fast. My fat friend, (don't worry he ain't listening) and I were beating the pants off of the Lasers in the Willamette River the last time we went out. We weighed more than the boat does.
    I am looking for plans to build one down here. It may be easier than driving it down from Portland.
    Good luck and have fun. And let me know how it goes with a Spinaker. I have always been curious.
    Jimmy

Jimmy, Cheers Skipper. Thankyou for your reply. With your reply and CC's advice on the rigging resource, everything will be covered. That is all we were after. Thanks again guys, your replies are much appreciated.

The C hook is missing for the vang anchor but the ten hole options for it aren't. Beside the muscle box there are holes where the box has been moved around a couple of times, that is refining a refinement. All of my questions have been answered in your posts.

I'll print this thread and give it to the owners. I told them that there was only one site to visit when they couldn't get advice on rigging their boat and then came asking for assistance. If there hadn't been a few bits of wood on their boat we may not have asked questions here. The wood on their boat is a mod too.

I can't wait to tell them about the spinnaker on their boat being a mod. No one here had seen a Snipe before this boat turned up. That is what sailing is about here, turning a non class racing boat into twice the boat. I've put a spinnaker on my boat which breaks class rules, but I don't mind ... because I don't class race in her either.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-24-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Talk to johnw -- you can find him down in the Bilge. He's got a Snipe, I believe.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Nick thanks Skipper, Oyster Mike sent me a few links that address rigging Snipes.

The concllusion is, that there is no one way to rig a Snipe. Anything basically goes when it comes to rigging. The Snipe has had many changes to the rules over the years.

Warren.

I am amazed that the International Snipe Racing Assoc. was of no help to you! However it looks like the other guys on this forum have been able to help.
    Jay

The "muscle box" is a Harken Magic Box. Snipes have historically used this for jib halyard tension and mast ram[two seperate devices]. It is not the best tool for the job.

If you intend to race the boat competitively it must first be measured and then you will need to replace a large majority of the hardware beginning with the mast step. You should find active Snipe sailors in your area and not attemp this in a vaccum.

If you are daysailing, get the mast rake close and go sailing.

Thistle