Thread: Proposition 200 overturned

Default Proposition 200 overturned

In 04, the residents of Arizona passed proposition 200 which stated that one needed proof of citizenship and a proper ID to vote.

This has just been overturned by a lower court as being unconstitutional.

Even the president has to be a citizen...
    Last edited by uncas; 10-06-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Next time I'm in Arizona I think I'll pop into a polling station and vote for something.

That's a problem for the shrubbery, given the Federal bill with similar ID requirements

Edited to add: it was tossed because it puts undue burden on a large class of voters -- the poor, the elderly, etc.

Making it hard to vote was (is?) one of the primary techniques used in the south to disenfranchise blacks. Same tricks, slightly different game.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I hate to say this, as I consider myself a liberal, but it was killed by a very liberal circuit court as I understand it. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey
    That's a problem for the shrubbery, given the Federal bill with similar ID requirements

Edited to add: it was tossed because it puts undue burden on a large class of voters -- the poor, the elderly, etc.

Making it hard to vote was (is?) one of the primary techniques used in the south to disenfranchise blacks. Same tricks, slightly different game.
    Burden is cooked up crap! Just as in GA the local gov't would give them away and deliver them to their door. And IF you are too poor to go get a ID then we probably can expect that you can't afford to go to the polls to vote. WHAT Trype this is!
    Liberty and Equal Justice not "Social Justice" FOR ALL.

“Property is the fruit of labor…property is desirable…is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.” Abraham Lincoln

Funny, Congress, under Republican control lo these many years, might easily legislate that states may or even must require proof of citizenship at time of voting, but they haven't.

They score more points this way, rousing the rabble with complaints that it's the fault of "the liberal courts." That way, they don't have to do anything but promise that things will be different when the Republicans control Congress, so get out there and vote Republican!

It is one thing to have a "poll tax" to prevent legal voters from voting.

It is something else to have a "poll tax" to prevent illegal voters from voting.

Quote Originally Posted by George Roberts
    It is one thing to have a "poll tax" to prevent legal voters from voting.

It is something else to have a "poll tax" to prevent illegal voters from voting.
    Hmm. I wonder how the tax knows the difference.

Heck, in the early 1800's, one had to own land to vote.In fact, some of our founding fathers were concerned about the " rabble " having the vote.
    . Now technically, it seems that anyone can.