Thread: The Nina

Default The Nina

has come to town. It will be docked here till the 23 Oct.

http://www.thenina.com/

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds Love is My Religion

Wow! A square-rigged caravel! Don't miss it!

Cool ... cant' believe they don't have the specs on the website, though.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

I sailed by the Nina while she was docked in Guntersville Monday Oct 2. FWIW here is a video I took of her:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34440305430982

I visited her a couple of years ago on my way to go sailing. I spent 1 1/2 really enjoyable hours aboard and nearby.
    Last edited by willmarsh3; 10-06-2006 at 01:40 AM.
    Will

I went aboard her in Oklahoma (of all places). Manned at that time by a bunch of 18-20 year olds including some cute chicks and a captain whose "type" I recognized on the spot...don't let your daughters ship with him!
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

I'm going to try and go down this weekend and see her. If I do I will post some photos.

Chad

Default She was docked about 150 feet from my schooner....

for a week this spring. I was working on the schooner some and I probably spent most of my time giving school kids lectures about the boat and how she worked. It was actually fun for me.

I would estimate that the average visitor to the 'Nina' spent about two minutes on the boat. It ain't much to look at. I must have heard a hundred kids walk by the schooner and say 'oh dad, I want to go on THAT boat'.

Post your thoughts on her, Chad. I would be curious to hear what you think.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by cs
    I'm going to try and go down this weekend and see her. If I do I will post some photos.

Chad
    I went and saw her when she was here.She is very basic,but worth the trip just to get a close look at the woodwork , talk to the guys about their many adventures,and she's got one MASSIVE rudder, and tiller that's quite impressive to see.Well worth the price of admission
    where ever you go there you are

I had no idea that Chatanooga had so much waterfront!
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Chattanooga is right on the TN River, a major thourfare in the SouthEast. The Nina is at Ross's Landing. Here is a few shots.

Chad

Well, I'll be dipped in dawg doo! I knew Chatanooga was on the TN river, but I didn't realize it was so big.....
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

Growing up here I'm used to the size of it. When I go out west and see what they call a river I'm kinda stunned. Around here what they call a river is a creek.

More photos.

The Market St. bridge under renovation.

The world's longest pedistrian bridge (Walnut St Bridge).

Chad

I went to Chattanooga last August for a day. I did not even make it to the aquariums. They really did a great job with the waterfront as you can see in Chad's pictures. I could spend several days there. I am working out when to schedule sailing my boat up there for a few days in the Fall.
    Will

Default And Chattanooga is a very nice town to take.....

your kids on a trip. We took the kids when they were small, did all the hokey tourist stuff and saw the aquarium. Chad, I can not remember the name of the place we stayed in, but it was a Raddison and was supposed to have built in the 1850' or 60's? Lot's of dark wood paneling. A busy place. Al Gore and John Michael Montgomery (who was actually famous at one time) were both staying there at the same time and the joint was jumpin'.

Chattanooga has also turned into a traffic nightmare. The triangle between Chattanooga, Birmingham, and Atlanta is one fast growing part of the country, and the interstate around Chattanooga is a mess. It is a nice place to visit, but.......

Mickey Lake

Default meanwhile...back to the Nina!

We hosted her, and others at The Richmond Tall Ship Festival a cuppla years back,Captain, and crew.

I brought my guitars, they played, had a private bash for a local company,great people.

Ahhh memories, gorgeous ship.

I probably saw Nina the same time you did Phil. In Muskogee around Thanksgiving a few years ago. I think I even posted here on the forum of the experience, but that was a while back. Interesting vessel, and the information they lent about the craft and the conditions her crew (the real Nina) faced were very interesting....
    My youngest daughter and I got up early and went back to the river to see her off, under motor............South to the MS then out to open water and the Caymans for the Winter.

As soon as the rest of the family wake up and have breakfast, we are headed downtown to see her.

BTW if any of you guys come to town you gotta let me know. Maybe I can tell you how to stay out of traffic.

Chad

Later I will post some photos. Have to get them out of the camera first.

Initial thought is that it seems awful small to cross the Atlantic in. At a LWL of around 64' she seems tiny. When I get the photos on line you might can get an idea of the scale of the thing.

Also while there there were a couple of wooden Chris Crafts that looked sweet. Got photos of those also.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by cs
    Initial thought is that it seems awful small to cross the Atlantic in. At a LWL of around 64' she seems tiny.
    Crossing the Atlantic down the trade winds would be literally a breeze on her.

Amazing was Bartolomeu Dias, who rounded the Cape of Good Hope in one of those, and then rounded it back, upwind, and returned to Europe...

...of course his caravels were both lateen-rigged.

One of the things I found interesting is that the Nina is a 4 masted ship rather than a 3 masted. She has a counter mizzen that is fore and aft rigged. The crew memeber told me that Columbus had the main mast moved forward the the counter mizzen added. You end up with two square rigged mast and two fore and aft.

For some reason I didn't really notice that in the photos, but on looking back I see it (see photo above.)

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by garland reese
    I probably saw Nina the same time you did Phil. In Muskogee around Thanksgiving a few years ago. I think I even posted here on the forum of the experience, but that was a while back. Interesting vessel, and the information they lent about the craft and the conditions her crew (the real Nina) faced were very interesting....
    My youngest daughter and I got up early and went back to the river to see her off, under motor............South to the MS then out to open water and the Caymans for the Winter.
    Yep...musta been just before I started posting here
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Photos in misc. boat.

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=56226

One shot for here.

Chad

Hey Chad,

Did you enjoy touring the Nina? I was told that in her famous voyage of discovery, she was so heavily laden with stores that all crew had to sleep on deck, and the decks were largely awash.........not a fun trip for sure!! That aft mast is lateen rigged, innit? I'm not sure that the original Nina had a Mercedes deisel auxiliary

Yes I enjoyed the tour. Too bad we couldn't go below decks. That would have been nice. I can't imagine them crossing the ocean in that ship. It really looks small. If you notice at the dock there is a couple of Chris Crafts in the foreground and directly ahead of the Nina is a big houseboat. The houseboat is defintily bigger, but one of those Chris Crafts even looks bigger.

It was interesting listening to the crew member talk about how the Nina is the perfect size for the Atlantic. According to him an Atlantic wave is 20' high, thus with the height above and below you get a total of 40'. This allows the Nina to easily go up and down the waves of the Atlantic. At least accoriding to him.

Here is the photo link since it isn't getting much above decks.

http://members6.clubphoto.com/chad41...06/guest.phtml

Here is a partial shot of the tiller.

Chad