Thread: How to make a model boat mast

Smile How to make a model boat mast

I guess I am getting old now and so I should pass this along to other model builders. And many like to make a model of the real boat they are going to build.

Here are the steps:

Buy a dowel
    Plane the dowel into a taper
    Sand it.
    Tape off the top part that you want painted white.
    (The top is sometimes painted white so at night it can be seen.)
    Take black enamel paint thinned down and rub it on the mast.
    Take some thinner and rub most of the black off so that black is left in the grain.
    Then take brown shoe polish and color the wood.
    Finish off by using wood sealer. NO varnish or just use thinned down varnish.
    Paint the top white.

Don
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Wow. That's easier than what I imagined. I was going to start with felling one of those little bonzai trees.

Sometimes model-making seems to be more work, and nearly as much money, as building the real thing!

;0 )
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote: Sometimes model-making seems to be more work, and nearly as much money, as building the real thing!

Yes, Thorne, but the slip fees are much more reasonable! And generally you don't have to worry about working in a freezing shop during the winter months.

Thanks for the advice, Don. There's a lot of boats that I would like to someday build, but the reality is that it ain't gonna happen for a lot of them. But models would be nice!
    Al

Default More models

I want to build one more boat. I seem to recall seeing a kit for a Haven 12 1/2. an anyone help me.
    Old Sailor

We build pond yacht masts the easy way. We have something resembling a spar lathe, made from 1x stock. Rip a square length of red cedar (or spruce) of Appropriate Size. Chuck it into a half-inch drill. Insert into mast lathe.

Spin. Take a piece of 80 grit sand paper in on hand and grab hold of the workpiece. Take to to round.

Once that's done, work the ends of the spar to get the disired tapers.

Finish up with finer sandpaper and the finish of choice.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Nicholas,
    That way sounds all high tech and all that. Probably works well but you miss our on the absolute JOY of using a plane. Seeing the culrs of wood come up and curl off the plane is something I would rather see than saw dust filling my shop from a high speed sanding operation.

Smile Model boat mast

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    Nicholas,
    That way sounds all high tech and all that. Probably works well but you miss our on the absolute JOY of using a plane. Seeing the culrs of wood come up and curl off the plane is something I would rather see than saw dust filling my shop from a high speed sanding operation.
    Planing the mast only took 5 minutes.
    I did it that way because i didn't have a big powerful sander.
    But your way is the way to go if you have the equipment.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    Nicholas,
    You won't find a bigger fan of hand planing. However, we have 10 year old "at risk" kids building pond yachts.

There's nothing high tech about this technique. 3 chunks of 1x3 and some drywall screws make the "lathe". 2 holes. 1 half-inch electric drill. A length of square cedar stock for the blank. Some sandpaper. That's about it.

Fast, easy and it works.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default scale paint

Don is right on about thin "paint" on a model. Regular or normal paint/varnish is way too thick and out of scale to look "right"on a small model. Another way to get the museum look is to use wood with no grain for varnish and fill all grain prior to painting and apply "paint" in thin coats with an airbrush . High gloss usually does not look as "right " on a model as does satin or simi gloss. For filling grain I use cheap wall paint, the chalky kind . Apply it with a brush and wipe it or scrape it off before it dries
    Last edited by Ron Joslin; 08-28-2006 at 03:58 AM.
    When things go wrong, will you be ready?