View Poll Results: Should there be an amendment to the US constitution to ban flag desecration?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to ban flag desecration

2 6.90%
  • No, I do not want to ban flag desecration

5 17.24%
  • I am indifferent to flag desecration

2 6.90%
  • No, I believe the question to be a ruse to distract

20 68.97%

Thread: Should there be a constitutional amendment banning flag desecration?

Default Should there be a constitutional amendment banning flag desecration?

Should there be an amendment to the US constitution to ban flag desecration?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Anyone who takes the time to understand our Constitution realizes how insulting such a proposed amendment is.

For what it's worth, I've always believed that flag washing would make a much more powerful statement than flag burning -- you know, public square, big old washboard and tub and old glory in a tub o' suds.

I'm offended when I see someone desecrating our flag. Our country, for which it stands, has many problems. Yet we do a pretty good job of working them out.

I was taught to never let our flag touch the ground, always take it in at sunset, general respect.

I understand the passions, and the hatred, but the flag isn't about the politics of the moment, it's about the foundations, the very real ideals. I wouldn't suggest trying to burn it at a veteran's rally.

That said, let them burn it. It matters not a whit really. The more you fight this sort of disrepect, the stronger it becomes. A constitutional amendment? What is wrong with us?

I'll tell you, we're bloody frightened, and this sort of effluvia comes out of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn
    This isn't the first time this subject has come up, and I doubt if it will be the last. If it's a "non-issue," why have 50 state legislatures lobbied Congress to deal with it?
    The Reds to whom they pander are ignorant. They wouldn't know the Bill of Rights if it bitch-slapped them, which it does from time to time (hence the name "Red" -- ???)

The flag burning amendment is a smokescreen for the real burning: of the constitution!

Enshrining the flag is tantamount to creating an idol. Symbols are not ideals to live by.
    If you don't think for yourself, someone else will do it for you!

"Enshrining the flag is tantamount to creating an idol. Symbols are not ideals to live by."

I'll not vote in your poll, but jingoism never washed with me.

LOOK...pretty butterflieeeees.
    where ever you go there you are

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp
    "Enshrining the flag is tantamount to creating an idol. Symbols are not ideals to live by."

I'll not vote in your poll, but jingoism never washed with me.
    I really wanted all countries to vote but I had never done a poll before and was in a hurry to get out of the house...sorry.
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

I'll agree that you can burn the flag if you promiss to throw a couple of lawyers and politicans in there with the flag.
    That way you can protest and make the country a better place at the same time.

We would have to consecrate it before it could be desecrated.

I vote #4.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

How about dealing with the issues that make people want to burn it? Does anyone know why, by the way?

I feel that some people get too patriotic at times - it can lead to all sorts of trouble with others over the water. Imagine, if you will, that each country was a hut in a village and the guys in one hut started to parade around and sing songs about how good they were. Wouldn't that be a little irritating to all the other huts close by?

It's a good idea to relax, enjoy ourselves and not take ourselves too seriously. This constitutional amendment business is laughable and certainly indicates some insecurity. Norman's right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodora
    I feel that some people get too patriotic at times ....
    "I love my country too much to be a nationalist" - Camus
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by PatCox
    We would have to consecrate it before it could be desecrated.
    Well put!