Thread: Sailing canoe thwart hardware

Default Sailing canoe thwart hardware

I'm looking for some hard to find hardware for a sailing canoe rig. Mostly the stuff that goes on the leeboard thwart. I need the thumb screws, lever bolts, angle braces, and hook bolts shown on the halfway down the page here:
    http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/otacc/index.html

I've got a few leads on some of it, and I may jury rig the rest, but I thought I would throw this out to the all knowing wooden boat forum.

Any leads appreciated.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

While it is not in their catalog, I believe Bristol Bronze is now making hardware for sailing canoes. http://www.bristolbronze.com/

Old Town Canoe Company also sells canoe rigging and hardware...

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/

Ric

You can also try the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association

http://www.wcha.org
    Last edited by Ric Altfather; 06-02-2006 at 12:41 PM.

A few years back I asked Old Town if they had such hardware and they told me they had just gotten rid of the parts I needed. Don't know if they have what you need. Give 'em a holler.

I had Springfield Fan Centerboard Co. in MA make up what I needed. Not cheap, but they did a fine job.

Fitz:
    I have a few tail nuts in bronze........they are more sculpted/elegant than that shown on Craig's site. I believe it's 1/2" thread. Good quality silicon bronze hanger bolts may be easily obtained from Jamestown Distributors in Bristol RI.

Also, don't know what you are running or looking for in terms of angle bracket but take a gander at my page: www.homepage.mac.com/geisser

follow the link for leeboard thwarts and brackets and you may get some ideas. If you like the polished machined aluminum angle bracket, let me know as I have an extra one. Had a pair made locally to my design and they are bulleproof.

As far as gunwale clamps, I have used various metal parts but think hardwood is easier to fabricate and easier on the gunwales.

By all means talk to Rob Levertue in Springfield. He's real knowledgeable. Long lead time usually.

Also, Larry Zuk is up your way in Concord I believe...he's got all sorts of rigs and hardware he could show you.

Best,
    David

Default Thanks

Thanks David. You have some great ideas on the website. I'll see what I can come up with. Yep, Larry is right down the street from me. I'll have to pay him a visit too.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Fitz:

I'll see if I can dig up the source for those tail nuts. Good sailing to you!

Best,
    David