Thread: Alden Baby Malabar Schooner "Wanderlure II"

Default Alden Baby Malabar Schooner "Wanderlure II"

Toon Z,
    It took me a while to get this information for you but here it is.
    The design number for the 36' Alden Schooner "Wanderlure II" as listed in the Alden Designs Book is #273 A. Several boats were built to this design that were yawls and ketches. "Wanderlure II" was built in 1926 at City Island NY. The schooner "Medley", sister ship to Wanderlure was built by Dr. John G. Langton and his father during WWII in Los Angeles CA. Since the Langton family owned a lumber yard, the boat was built of the best of materials that they had on hand. However, Dr. Langton told me, during an interview, that Mr. Alden had made modifications in the bow sections of the design that he felt would improve performance. And, "Medley" was built to that modified design. Unfortunatly Alden's speculation of added speed did not prove to be the case as "Wanderlure II" is faster than Medley. I have skippered both boats in off shore races and must affirm a previous statement that,
    "Wanderlure II" is the fastest 36' schooner that I have ever sailed!
    Although the design #273 A is listed in the Alden design book, no pictures of either of the two boats were published. I do have many shots of both boats and a full set of plans in my own archives however.
    I trust that this information is of some use to you.
    Fair Winds,
    Jay Greer
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-02-2006 at 12:34 AM.

Awesome! Thanks!
    The Strength of the Pack is the Wolf... And the Strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

Here's a horrible picture of Wanderlure II from a beer can in Newport Harbor circa about 1983. The Minney's semi sponsored the races out of their restaurant- Josh Slocum's. IIRC Kelpie was still far down the Lido Channel. Looks like Spike was having a good light air day!

The owner of W-II also had a gorgeous wooden cutter named Red Witch that he kept at the same dock. It was hard to not stop and admire the pair of them.
    Fast enough to get there,
    But slow enough to see.
    Not known for predictability!

Nice picture cause it brings back happy memories. The boat in the picture is our sister ship "Medley". We had already made the mark and were long gone!
    "Red Witch"is now in Port Townsend WA undergoing a rebuild.
    Pictures of "Red Witch" can be seen on the Yahoo Groups list
    Common Sense Boats. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/common...?yguid=9916088
    JG
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 06-15-2006 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer
    I do have many shots of both boats and a full set of plans in my own archives however.
    I trust that this information is of some use to you.
    Fair Winds,
    Jay Greer

Jay, have you managed to find any of the photos of the Wanderlure II? I thought I could drool a little, while the plans for the #274A design are underway accross the Atlantic.

Regrads,

Gvido

Gvido,
    I will be returning to Port Townsend in several weeks. I will then search for my photos of "Wanderlure II" (Wander Wagon) for you and others to enjoy.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer
    Gvido,
    I will be returning to Port Townsend in several weeks. I will then search for my photos of "Wanderlure II" (Wander Wagon) for you and others to enjoy.
    Jay
    Jay, did you managed to get any photos?

regrads,

Gvido

Sorry! I'm still in S.CA finishing the H28.
    Jay

Default Re: Alden Baby Malabar Schooner "Wanderlure II"

Hi all - appreciate that this is a very old thread, and I have been away from the forum for qyuite a while. As one of those who obtained study plans for the Alden baby schooner Wanderlure II, I wondered if Jay Greer ever did manage to find the photos he mentioned of this boat, or if has any info on the current whereabouts or condition of the original boat, or if anyone alse went ahead with building to this design.

Many thanks David

Serendipity....I was just thinking of this thread and Jay's pictures not too long ago.

Jay?

yes Ethan, intriguing sounding boats do linger in the memory... I am just in the process of tidying up my 40 year old Kauri H-28 type (same lines as an H-28, stretched to 29 ft. Had to leave it in New Zealand for six years while working abroad and just got it back to its new home mooring. She is in amazingly good condition considering - a tribute to Max Carter the NZ boat builder who built her. One small soft spot on the foredeck and a bit around the forehatch. I had someone keeping a general eye on her, but she wasn't used at all, though I did have her hauled and the hull taken down to bare wood and refinished very well. I am not worthy...