Thread: Chris Craft steering box

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1952 Chris Craft 22 ft. utility. The steering wheel connects to what I'm calling a steering box. This box converts the rotary movement of the steering wheel to a linear for and aft motion, which operates the rudder. While I have the hull planking of and this steering box is very accessable, I want to do whatever maintenance to it that is required. Right now it seems to operate smoothly, but does anyone know if that it a lubricant inside it the should be changed or replaced? Or anything else I should be doing to it while I can get to it easily?

Are you really # 15? I would think a marine water-proff grease would do, just dont mix two different greases together as they could react and you get liquid goo leaking out. Check with a CrisCraft resoration chapter.

I suspect that it's full of heavy machine (axle) grease... check to see if it's full... if so.. leave it. I suspect that these boxes don't wear out too often

Good idea to take the box out and get familiar with it. The old goo will typically have hardned and there is an adjusting nut there to remove any play in the gears. In the past I have found these filled with gear lube as well as axel grease. I just fill it back with axel grease (does'nt need to be marine unless you intend to submerge it often). While you're at it get a good look at the throttle linkage. There are some adjustments you will need to deal with there also (most notably there is a friction device that holds the throttle at the desired speed). Get a good coat of paint on it and you'll most likely never need to mess with again.

Thanks, I'll have look at it.
    Ion Barnes - Yes, I'm number 15, Been around a while!!