Thread: TALLY HO ex BETTY

Default TALLY HO ex BETTY

Dick Wynne has been notified that this 47' Albert Strange design, winner of the 1927 Fastnet Race is available, reportedly in Brookings Oregon. A planned restoration has been abandoned. I wonder about her condition (Anyone out there?). Anyone interested in restoring this great gaff topsail cutter can contact Dick Wynne for information. Plans are available.
    Last edited by Thad; 04-28-2006 at 01:56 PM.

Contact info for Dick Wynne?
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

or, contact me and I will get you the contact information. Anyone in Oregon seen her?

Thad/Dick...... Id like to learn more.........
    Last edited by Northernguy59; 04-30-2006 at 07:10 PM.
    \"The strength of a man is not measured on what he must have, it\'s measured on what he can do without\"

I just called the owner, no reply but his answering machine referred to his boat ad in the local paper, so I guess he's happy for me to post his details here: Dave Olson, phone 1-541-862-2155 -- he wants to sell her, after all !!!

thanks Dick I,ll give him a call. Dick have you any information on her?

Dale
    \"The strength of a man is not measured on what he must have, it\'s measured on what he can do without\"

Had a call from the owner today. He is moving to Hawaii in a couple of weeks or so, and if the boat is not taken by then she will likely be scrapped. He is looking for funds to meet her harbour dues, around $8-10,000 it seems. Brookings is not a very yottie place apparently, and I don't think she has been advertised further afield. The owner has sailed her extensively in the Pacific over a number of years, but right now she is without rig, possibly without engine, and her superstructure is leaky. Hull is apparently OK (has had planking repaired using Kauri in the S Pacific some years back, also some bulwark repairs). Believes fastenings are good. She is flush-decked with a rudimentary cuddy aft and a former fish-hatch forward. Believes she will withstand hauling and transport OK. He is emailing me pictures which I'll post here. From the point of view of The Albert Strange Association I guess I am bound to say this really is a unique opportunity, if her hull is as described, to rescue a historically significant boat by a fine designer and reputable English yard. But time is pretty tight! More when I get it, and drawings when I track them down, (I have just moved house).

I hope someone with money buys her. I haven't been to Brookings since having some college escapades there. It is a nice coastal town on the Oregon/California border. Like most Oregon coastal towns it has seen an influx of California retirees that have sold theiir matchbox houses for hundreds of thousands of dollars and can afford to buy oceanfront property for little outlay. It is likely not a yachty town....

Tally Ho was in the Woodenboat classifieds some time ago. I looked at buying it about ten years ago from the same owner. It was in Brookings then too. But he wanted in excess of $20,000 US and I thought the project could only go ahead if you got the boat for close to free. The owner wouldn't budge on his price - he was pushing the pedigree of the vessel. Also I think his ex-wife had some say in the boat still. And he was convinced all the boat needed was the bulwarks repaired and a coat of paint... ahem.
    I have some pics, but unfortunatley no scanner.
    What I remember of it:
    It had the name "Escape" painted on her. Bulwarks were shot, bilge was full of LOTS of muck and goo, refridgeration unit in the hold, old soaking wet king-sized bed mattress back aft, leaky decks. No rig. No original gear. An ugly pilothouse added back aft.
    I can't remember what she was planked in, but do recall some laminated sistered frames - I think as a result of a grounding in the South Pacific? I remember an engine that didn't run - way up forward with a shaft running the length of the boat.
    Probably looking at a complete rebuild. You're only getting a hull (of queationable condition - I didn't get as far as to having it surveyed), with no fittings,gear,etc. And I would think that the only safe way it's leaving Brookings is by truck.
    Tally Ho was a Fast-net winner - after all the other boats pulled out of the race due to weather. She has a transom stern, and a close to straight stem.
    I let the Albert Strange society know of her sometime ago. She is an important piece of history and should receive some attention.
    It would be very cool to see someone take her on and get her straight again.
    This would be a big project.

Stephen, Thanks for your post, this is the nearest we (the Albert Strange Assoc) have to an independent survey. She did have an extensive planking repair using Kauri some years ago in the S Pacific. Around the same time the French navy yard in Tahiti built her a new rudder in tubular steel, covered in sheet steel and 'glassed, which is apparently in good condition if not 'authentic'. Steering is tiller + wires. From the local harbourmaster I learn that the boat is not in immediate danger of being broken up but she can't stay there too much longer, ie weeks not months. She was hauled two years ago without problems apparently. What I hope to do in the next couple of weeks or so is produce a brief PDF document describing and illustrating her, past and present, including Strange's drawings and photos from her glory days, and circulate it anywhere a potential restorer might be found. To facilitate this I currently await recent photos from the owner, and (in an ideal world) an independent appraisal of the boat's condition today. We can't run to a full professional survey (not that there is a lot left to survey), but I wonder if there are any knowledgeable people near Brookings who would be prepared to cast an eye over her and report back in terms which will enable a potential acquirer to decide whether to make the trip? We could probably come up with expenses...if so get in touch and I can sort it out with the owner or (as he is about to move away) the HM.

Any word on Tally Ho ??

Nothing new yet, beyond what Dick says above.

As some of you know I have been in touch with the current owner. I keep re-reading Stephens post and Id bet dollars to donuts that she has deterioated even futher than when he went to see her. What a shame.

I dont have much hope as I cant seem to get any real honest assesment of her.

Dale,

Default Re: TALLY HO ex BETTY

I don't remember if it was posted here but the BETTY was taken over by Manuel (http://www.elloboarts.com/) and Judy Lopez in Brookings OR and he has been working on her restoration, doing beautiful work, by the pictures I have seen. Any one in that area should check it out.

Thad - that is great news - I saw some of Manuel Lopez's art when I was in Brookings to see the boat.
    Are you able to post some of the restoration photos here?

Here are some photos I took of the boat in 1997:

And as she was in 1927:

More here:
    http://www.albertstrange.org/?page_i...=Boats%2FBetty

The Betty, as she's referred to again, is undergoing a complete rebuild by Manuel and Judy Lopez, and a number of local volunteers. A non-profit foundation has been started with the ultimate goal of establishing a wooden boat school and possible events such as seminars, festivals--that sort of thing-- in the future. My role is to get a website up and running which should happen (hopefully) in the next week or so. I was actually holding off posting about this till we had something online, but when this thread surfaced I couldn't resist.

One of the volunteers (photographer, calker, girl friday) has started a blog with a couple more photos at http://restoringthebetty.blogspot.com/ If she gets some requests at the blog I know she'd be happy to post more. Log onto the blog and cheer her on and ask for more pics.

As for me I'm wading through about 700 pictures at the moment. I'd post some but they're all at the office right now--maybe early next week.

Besides Manuel's artistry, he's been a long time fisherman in the area and is quite knowlegable in classic wooden boat construction and techniques--shoot, in almost everything nautical for that matter. I believe that one of the reasons the Lopez's are looking at a school is so that Manuel can pass along the knowledge that he's picked up over the years. It's an exciting project needless to say.

If anyone is interested, I'll get a few pictures posted here Monday.

cheers
    John
    ----
    To err is human. To arr is pirate.

Please post them.

Nov. 2008
    Stripped of most everything:

John
    ----

Caulking the seams:

More caulking

Repair to the bow

Unknown volunteer fitting the bow piece

Reworking the decks

My fav shot so far:

Most of these pictures were made before Christmas. We've had some pretty lousy weather since and not much has been done. I'll see if the photog has some more pictures and now that I know how to upload them (thanks Thorne!) I'll post them as they arrive.

Too, we should have soome sort of website up in the next few weeks and should be able to show more photos.

If anyone has any information about the history of this boat in one of its many lives and would like to share them with us we would appreciate it. We'd love to know more about the "lost" years.

cheers
    John
    John
    ----

Following the sudden death of Manuel Lopez (above) nearly two years ago Betty has languished ashore at Brookings Harbor, and Manuel's widow Judy has told me the trust reponsible for her will entertain any proposal which will ensure her future, at Brookings or elsewhere. Hers is an interesting story and it would be a tragedy if she foundered at this stage. Her condition is a lot better than you might think given her recent past. Thad and I have been trying to interest our hosts in running an article about her. Anyone looking for a project out there?

I'm just going to give this a little bump.... I've been looking at the photos of this boat a lot lately. She is sure beautiful.

I am sure she needs a massive amount of work, but some has already been started for you!

She is sitting under cover just waiting for the right person to rescue her! Dreamers be warned! It will probably take all the time, money, marriages, and energy you have!

I'm warning myself mostly. I desperately want this boat, but am not the right one at this point. I wouldn't take it on without having a sawmill and a big load of oak trees sitting out behind the shed. I'd also need a shed, and a big plot of land that neighbors couldn't see.

That sounds like my life in a year or four but not now.

Somebody please save this boat! More info here: http://www.albertstrange.org/tallyho/?page_id=63

I'm sure they don't mind a bit more publicity.

Thanks for the bump. She can use all the publicity we can muster. The photos above are from a time, late 40s through 60s I think, when she was a family cruiser with man, wife and two girls (one seen in pic #2) and did a couple of Atlantic circuits. Great boat and history.

Seems to be about the max a cruising couple could handle I would think. That is a big mainsail. On the drawings there is something just at the mast which may be a big deck mounted winch to help out. Still, trying to tie down the clew on the second reef as the wind and sea is building is not the most relaxing thought.

I wonder how many miles have passed under her keel. More than i will ever see I'm sure. Truly a world cruiser. I think it is really noble, all the effort that has gone into rescuing her thus far.

Thank you. We are trying.

Incredible boat.....The real item that would be needed is money, and lots of it. Regardless of how much sweat equity you desired to put into this boat, it would be well beyond the capabilities of one man to get done in a reasonable period of time. (This is keeping in mind I am a wooden boat owner, so my idea of reasonable, and time, are skewed beyond all recognition. Just the real cost of materials alone, considering all the boat needs, would be a big investment. This is a project for someone with a 200k and good skills at a minimum.

Perfect boat, if only I was a little closer (5000m closer).

Tally Ho was left behind in Brookings Oregon after the current owner, Manuel Lopez, died. After a few years the Albert Strange Foundation took over the responsibility from Manuel's wife. The boat was moved to another part of the harbour terrain and one of the Oregon based members of the Foundation made a strong cradle and a shrinkfoil cover. In the summer of 2017 Tally Ho has been bought for $1.-- by Leo Sampson Goolden, young shipwright from Bristol UK. The yacht is moved on a trailer to Sequim (WA). Lots of information on the site of the Foundation www.albertstrange.org/tallyho/
    and the site of Leo Goolden http://sampsonboat.co.uk
    Apparently the years on the hard were not very good for Tally Ho's condition. It seems to me that this courageous young man from England needs all the support for this endeavour! Check out his site and see how you can help.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Leo is the young feller that crossed the pond in a Folkboat to Antigua a few years ago.
    He works as bosun aboard Adix.
    He is the chap on the bowsprit of Adix, about to crush my wife, taking photos aboard Columbia, in this pic

This article in a UK newspaper tells the story. http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/br...-bristol-21465

I was schedualed to do a survey on the "Betty" several years ago when I was contacted by the widow of the owner. Unfortunatly it did not materialize due to my being laid up with hip surgery. I might add how sad it is to see historic vessels lost to the breakers due to lack of funding or interest. Once gone, they are gone forever! I do hope that this time capsule of the great age of sail can be saved!
    Jay

It seems to me that Leo took the right decision to make extensive footage of his work on Tally Ho and post them on his YouTube channel. The films he makes are a joy to watch and give insight in how to handle a project like this. Actually, I like this more than most of Discovery Channel programs. Obviously a lot of people like this too and his YouTube channel has now more than 12.000 subscribers. In October around 11.500 people subscribed. This kind of an audience could give him a monthly income of roughly $2.000 provided by YouTube. The more subscribers and views the more income, simple as that. I dare to say that one beautiful ship will be saved for the future. I am far away in the north of the Netherlands but my fingers are itching….
    Marten Lenstra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ympYv5i8ER4&t=638s

thread Leo has started about his resto.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-in-WA-(VIDEO)