Thread: Building Whitholz 11' dinghy

Got the plans today, hope to build her in traditional lapstrake. Steady stream of stupid questions soon to follow. First thought, wood for stem, backbone. Thinking of doug fir since I may end up having to glue her up with epoxy if my workmanship turns out to be not up to snuff so I want to stay clear of oak. Sound fair?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Fir laminated should work fine...if you laminate to the sawn dimensions and do a good glue job it should be stronger than designed......
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

JimD,

Is it WB plan #50? If so, I got those plans last year and was also looking for a non-cold mold way of building it. Good luck - I'm looking forward to your posts.

Originally posted by JayH:
    JimD,

Is it WB plan #50? If so, I got those plans last year and was also looking for a non-cold mold way of building it. Good luck - I'm looking forward to your posts.
    Yup, JayH, that's the one. Nice lines, gonna gaff rig her. I'll just be winging it trying to lapstrake the hull although I may end up gluing her all together if it turns out to be more than I can handle tradition-wise
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I built the Wittholz 11' catboat several years ago. I used common clear fir available at the local lumber yard for the backbone. The boat was strip planked with 5/16 western cedar. I ended up with a hull weight of 130 pounds.

Dave Thibodeau

Originally posted by Dave Thibodeau:
    I built the Wittholz 11' catboat several years ago. I used common clear fir available at the local lumber yard for the backbone. The boat was strip planked with 5/16 western cedar. I ended up with a hull weight of 130 pounds.

Dave Thibodeau
    Dave, did you put a sail on her? Curious about how she sails

Talking

JimT
    Glad to see the the interest in the little Wittholz beauty. Started mine a while back before Phoenix heat drove me out of the garage till fall. I am using 5/16 cedar strips and glass. About halfway through the ripping and routing of a mountain of strips I began to think the cold-molded doorskins would have been easier. I am going about this a little backwards too, doing a lot of the details first before the basic hull. Have transom complete with carved nameboard finished(mahog), stem(cyprus),tiller(lam.mahog).I will do the spars this summer up in the Pines where its cool. I'm doing it this way because I know once I get it afloat I will never get it really finished like I want. Trying for light weight too for easier hauling out etc.
    More later including pics if I can figure how.
    Good Luck ,Felix

JimD,

I spent time to optimize the sailing qualities of this boat versus rowing qualities.

The boat has a daggerboard

The boat has a Marconi sail

The boat was built as light as I could make it

It sails wonderful !!!!!!

Dave Thibodeau

p.s. If you want to see some pics e-mqil me at

djthibodeau@mybluelight.com

JimD,

I'm going to gaff rig her too - as an absolute newbie, I expect I'm going to be asking lots of dumb questions.... I'll admit I picked this plan out because of the way the gaff rig looked....

Dave's boat is beautiful - I keep looking at the pics he sent me (my project got stalled by a new job & lots of home improvements projects.)

I still think I going to cold mold her, although lapstrake would be very nice - check out Iain Oughtred's book on clinker lapstrake bulding. I need to keep the weight down as well.