We sailed for the first time yesterday, with main and jib up. The repairs seem to be holding up fine, and we fixed the problem.
The problem came in that a day before I was to launch, I found that I was out of caulking cotton. I had used the last stuff filling SAFIA's seams as she nearly sank on the way to catalina. Usually i get the stuff from Jamestown, but on Sunday faced with a monday morning launch, I was stuck. So i called up my friend who owns a big shipyard, and he says he's got some - come on over. I go there and what he has is wicking for decks. Sure its cotton, but its spun. I use it anyway, and figure I'll double up. There were only 4 seams to caulk, about 5 feet long.
Net result - boat leaks like a sieve, even though the repair is complete. Looks like we'll have to haul for a weekend and put the correct stuff in soon.
In any case, I'm happy. I spent a couple days fairing the bottom before she went back in, and made it ultra smooth. Sheeted lightly to be cautious, and with 11 knots of wind, we pulled 7.75 knots - and we were taking it easy. Almost makes me forget about the leaks.
I can't believe it, but I am seriously considering cold molding or veneering the bottom.
Just some observations.