Thread: Finally got my motor.

I finally got to pick up my motor last Friday night after work. As it would turn out it's not nearly as new as my helper told me it was.

Here's the stats: 1961 or 62, Mercury 70 HP out board. I've talked to a few people at OB shops and they've all said that those older motors can get real expensive real fast. So I think I'm gonna try to get it running my self. I'm going to order the Seloc book for the motor in the next few days. I don't figure I can hurt it any more than it has been already. Right? Besides I'm looking forward to working on it.

Any one have any suggestions about other good refrence manuals that would be good to have on hand before I start? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Lowell

Don't have any direct references, but I'll bet that there is an entire antique motors sub-culture somewhere out here on the internet. Good luck.

Ooooh a merc 700 huh? Go to www.oldmercs.com
    the lower units on those buggers are known to seize, and they are usually a direct reverse... Motor reverses... good upper ends on them.. parts are still available if you look...
    Wooden boats are like shingles, recurring, and often painful.

Direct reverse? What, stop, then restart? How'd this work?

Lowell,
    Having just redone a 1958 Mercury Mark 55, and not knowing how good or bad a condition yours is in, I suggest changing all the electrical components without question: Plug wires, plugs, points, the works. Then go throught the lower unit, get a professional opinion if you need to, and replace anything that is suspect.

Ebay is a great source for old parts cheap, many times unused and factory new. Oldmercs.com is a great sight, Bob Grubb is very helpful. Also strongly recommend getting the specific model manual, which Bob should have.

The good news is, your engine actually will share more in common with engines made over the next two decades than mine did, so parts availability gets a little easier.

Best,
    R
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Cool

Try the antique outboard motor club at http://www.aomci.org
    They may be able to help you.
    JimmyM
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

I found a manual today on my way home. It's a clymer manual. Ever hear of one? It's not the Seloc that I wanted but it'll get me started. It is very similar to a chiltons in that aspect I suppose. Well gotta go and get to cleaning the basement sooooz I canbuild a horse for the motor.

Lowell

Lowell......Here is another source for parts and advise. Great website----> http://www.maxrules.com/fixusedoutboard.html

and this one too------> http://www.outboardrecycle.com/

Clymer makes automotive repair manuals also and they are pretty good. Like Chiltons manuals. Our local library carries them for automotive and marine outboard engines.

hope this helps
    Kevin in Ohio

[ 11-12-2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Know It All ]