Thread: Jib, Lateen and Mizzen

Hello to all from this longtime lurker.

Thereīs been considerable interest here on this board in the lateen sailing boats fom the mediterranean. Most people, myself included, find them to be graceful but mysterious craft, so dissimilar from the small sailing vessels we usually encounter.

Last week, on a visit to Barcelona, Spain, I was fortunate enough to capture these images of one gorgeous 15-17 footer, as it was moored at the harbour. Thankfully, the owner didnīt show up, or else I would have offered him lots of money to take me sailing

Iīve built a page with links to the original full size images, which permit to make out all the details of the spars and rigging. Caution: They are HUGE images, but you really can see every detail !

If I may, here are a couple of questions:

Is it true that the sail will always stay on the same side of the mast in this craft ? And why has the mizzen mast partner two holes ?

Well, enjoy the pics, and donīt forget to admire the neat job done on the sheaves, the bowsprit/sternsprit setup (they are stored under the oars), and of course, the sheer elegance of a fully decked small sailing boat.

The last pic is a model of a similar vessel under full sail.

Pascal

Here are the pics

That is a neat boat. I've never seen a boat that small decked in that much. Any idea of what its like under there? Not much headroom, I'd guess.

Yes, the sail stays on the same side of the mast.
    Under deck comes fished fish.
    They're daysailers mostly.
    Later versions have a motor instead.
    The alternative hole may allow better positioning of sails depending on tack or wind?
    It's the kind of fishing bark you'll find about all over the Mediterranean, with exceptions like Malta or Sicily.
    Vous trouverez ā peu prčs les męmes dans tout le Sud de la France.

boat is in Boston, I'm contracted out to Pittsburgh

looking boat!

This is a 20’ (6.1m) Traditional Llaut Catalan double ended fishing boat for Mr. Jose Grisell. The hull is for Cedar strip planking - she has a large hold and an inboard engine arrangement. Beam is 7'6" (2.29m) and the loaded displacement to the DWL is 1.5 tons (1524kg).

The hull has a typical Mediterranean hull shape with a hard bilge and fairly fine ends making a stable and sea-kindly hull form.
    Selway-Fisher 20' Catalan Fishing Boat

As you get tot he east end of the Med and down along Africa, you can find some arabic rigs where the sail is shifted to the lese side with each tack. Quite a sight. But those boats, while still lanteen rigs, have such different hull shapes that in the end all things are different.

Great pix

Thanks, Pascal.

Steven

Is there a current link to the photos?

Thanks,
    Barry

A big breakthrough of the 15th century was the lateen with the yard hung to the mast inside the shrouds, rather than above them. This allowed big caravelas and naus to shift the sail by pulling the peak forward and passing the tack behind the mast. Nice when tacking a three-masted, 300-tonel caravela in a seaway.