Thread: Nice big catboat

built by Roy Blaney...looks like the boat's been well kept from the down below pics: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1508&url=
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Cool

What a beautiful catboat! Thanks for sharing...

Drooooooooool so close and yet so far sombody got a spare US$*21,500 they can lend me - this is one of my dream boats
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Here is anouther one. Why is this Alden sloop so cheep ????
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1793&url=

and another 25' wood sailboat for weekend cruising (tho' not a catboat):

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...kingmanmarine&
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

rbgarr, I saw that one too and liked it but once I read "her hull was fully splined and then sheathed in fiberglass and epoxy resin" I though it better to post the Alden [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cool

The smaller catboat has beautiful lines. Looks larger than 16' also. Thanks for sharing....

Here's another small one in a different style and condition. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=26433

Ariel- I agree. Big cat boats can look imposing sometimes.

[ 07-31-2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

I've been by the 25' Winthrop Warner Sloop a few times and was bothered by the hull. It looked glassed and know I know that it is. I know it's generally not a good thing. From 100' it does look nice.

For a number of years in the early 70's TYPHOON sailed out of Camden, Maine and she was well kept. In the early 90's I saw her on the hard in Yarmouth, Maine and she had been wooded with a torch and was looking rather sad, blackened and gap-seamed, which is not to say she wasn't still sound. I just don't know. I am wondering if the repair of those open seams at the time was the 'splining' mentioned in the write-up, followed by a fiberglass sheathing job. All fiberglass sheathing work is not bad. I've seen beautiful work done... and lousy, just like some repairs in wood and original construction.

Cool

I really like small boats--this open cat is a sweetie. I have the Bolger/Payson version of the Beetle--Bobcat--and I love the lines on the small cats. They are no slouches at sailing either. "Quick as a cat" is the phrase that comes to mind. Thanks again for posting photo of catboats. I never get tired of looking at any of them: large or small....

Here we go Ariel

[ 08-01-2003, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Chris Coose ]
    Study Peace

Envy

Cool

What a beauty! Thank you for posting...what is her name?

Here's another shot of Chris's boat:

Chris, where'd you go last weekend? I saw Victoria was not on her mooring. And I'd still love to get Mary out on her for a sail.

Steven

Cool

Hi! Steven, thanks for posting another picture of the lovely catboat VICTORIA. Perfect name for such a work of art.

Yo Ariel!!! No picture, but maybe you could tell us about this type of cat from down your way.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=26433

Cool

Biloxi catboats have a finer entry and sharper bow than Cape Cod boats. Also very low to the water--not much freeboard. Some of them were lapstrake hulls. There are still a few left built in the 20's and 30's. They were very bad to bury their bow when running downwind. Had to move weight to the stern. Pretty, pretty boats. The real authority is Bill Holland, a boatbuilder in Biloxi. Woodenboat did an article on him some time ago. Can't remember which issue. He built a Biloxi schooner replica for the Seafood and Maritime Museum in Biloxi...GLEN L. SWETMAN. I have sailed on that boat many times. Also they have another MIKE SEKUL, but Bill Holland didn't build it.

Cotuit Skiffs are 14' flat bottomed lapstrake catrigged boats that also bury their bows downwind, and also pretty, to my eye.

The 19' Biloxi catboat referenced above is described as built by Bill Holland for his daughter.

Cool

The last time I was at Bill Holland's boatyard he had several of the old cats stored there. I don't know what happened to all of them but one was adopted by a schooner captain who had it restored. At the University of South Alabama archives there are photographs of the bay cats sailing in Mobile Bay. They look like scows except for the shape of the bow and have very low freeboard. Fish class sloops are based on catboats and sharpies. Here is the site: www.schurrsails.com/fish/ I sail on Fish boats. Great sailing boats.