Thread: CAN I JUST VENT MY FRUSTRATION HERE...

I just need to vent a little here..my wife has heard it enough! Here is the situation. On Friday, work was delayed 2 hours because of the snow overnight. We got about 6 inches. I got up dug ourselves out and proceeded to work. Normally a 20 minute ride but it took 1 hour 10 minutes. I get to work and the parking lot is not plowed and there are only a handful of cars. I park my truck gather up my things and take one step out of the truck and BAM! I on my arsh! My back popped and I can't move my legs. I laid there for 10 minutes until someone passing on the highway saw me and stopped to help. No one came in the parking lot while I was on the ground. This Good Samaritan calls 911, for another 10 minutes I wait until a cop shows up and tells me I have to wait for an ambulance. Okay I wasn't going anywhere anyway. I go to the hospital and wait another 6 hours before they take x-rays and determine I cracked 2 vertebrae T12 and L1 plus my tail bone. They give me the good pain pills and tell me not to drive, rest and see the Occupational Health doctor on Monday since this will be a workman's comp claim. I'm in bed all weekend, I can't sit, lay stand or walk without great amounts of pain in my back. I call Monday and can't get in until Tuesday. I struggle to get in and out of the car. So here is the part that tics me off. I go see this idiot doctor and he says "Yes you will have lots of pain, possible 3 to 4 months worth, but I see no reason why you can't go back to work since you have a desk job." He signs the papers and says to take them to my HR department. My wife and I stopped at work on the way home, I show them the paper and they say..since the doctor released me if I stay home I won't get paid. Oh and you know what else, I didn't go to the right hospital.

So I'm on pain medicine, I can't drive, sit, stand or for that matter even wipe my own butt, but I have to go to work.. this really sucks. I have worked for this company 26 years and this is what they think of me. Damn it!

IN case you are wondering, it took me almost an hour to type this out, I'd have to get up and move, stand and lie down in between.

A frustrated PITA!
    Jerry

Get a second opinion, and a lawyer versed in worker's compensations claims. I'm not litigious by nature, and when I worked as a carpenter I had personal knowledge of fraudulent claims that really PMO, but this doesn't sound right, and I would think the law would be on your side.

I'm sorry to hear this. Good luck.

Jack

[ 02-11-2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]
    So many questions, so little time.

What Ish said.

Take care.

What they both said. (Trust me, I know.) But try another medico first -- your employer might listen to reason without the need for litigation.

If venting here helps, keep it coming. I don't know what else to suggest. The doctor sounds like a class A idiot. Oking you for work at a desk job with a cracked tail bone??? He/she should try making their rounds with a cracked ankle

- M

Bummer Jerry!

I went to a doctor years ago because my knee had swelled to four times it normal size. That sorry idiot made an appointment for me to get fitted for a permanent leg brace, telling me that since I had a desk job, I didn't need surgery to correct the problem in my knee. He didn't even try to bleed the water off the knee.

I was devastated when I got back to the office, and one of the managers, after hearing what happened, called his sports medicine doctor and got me an appointment for a second opinion. [The insurance preferred second opinions before authorizing further treatment.]

The second doctor also told me my knee was trash, but instead of a leg brace or surgery, he handed me a strip of inner tube and a piece of rope. Told me to attach the rope to my headboard, lie on my back on the bed, and place the inner tube on the arch of my foot with my knee bent. He told me to do as many extensions of the leg as I could handle. Within two days the swelling was gone and I could walk again.

Best second opinion I ever got from a doctor.

I've also had to deal with unfeeling employers. I've gone to work with my mind blinded by pain, and with my brain fried by drugs, both resulted in the same outcome - zero productivity. The employers decided real fast that it was insane for me to be physically in the office when my brain was in some netherland far far away.

I agree with Ish.

Anita
    [Al\'s daughter]

Originally posted by A. Mason:
    The employers decided real fast that it was insane for me to be physically in the office when my brain was in some netherland far far away.
    That's one smart employer, Anita. Out here, they'd be just as likely to believe that you were malingering....

Jerry -- ouch! I've had a cracked tailbone, and wasn't much good for anything other than a carpet weight for a month. Second opinion, and then a lawyer.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

register101,

Your options will be dependent, to a large degree, on the Workers' Compensation (WC) rules in your state. Some states allow the employer to direct the injured employee (at least the initial visit), while others do not. Some states' WC rules for what is compensable are a bit odd. You can certainly call an attorney (and you and may benefit from doing so), but I would call the Workers' Compensation Board to get an idea of the process in Pennsylvania. I would also caution you against saying too much to your firms WC insurer, or third party administrator before you understand the process; there are good WC claims representatives, and there are bad ones.

You can also call a labor/safety group. A quick search provided Philaposh, and their number is 215-386-7000. They may be able to give you some pointers.

If I was your boss, I wouldn't want you working for me with an injury like yours until you healed. After 26 years they owe you better treatment than that. I've hurt my back many times ( I was a furniture mover for 20 years) and know all too well the pain you are experienceing. Take your time an heal right or this will haunt you with chronic pain for the rest of your life. A back and tailbone injury is serious. Get a second opinion then go back to the first doctor and kick him in the ass so he will understand.
    Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

It's too bad that back injuries don't bleed or something...
    ...People who haven't been there can't appreciate how much it HURTS !

I sure agree with you, Bruce.

That's why Kevin was suggesting a quick educational program for that doctor.

Of course, you could always sue the owner of the parkinglot. Pain, suffering, loss of wages, etc. Retire to some lovely spot that you've always dreamed of living, and never worry about a paycheck again....
    Never trust a man with a clean workshop.

you didn't by chance go to POTTSTOWN HOSPITAL did you? go see your own doc and GET A LAWYER
    did I really say that out loud.........

Check out this site....
    http://www.workerscompensationresour...deval/qa1.html

This is a worker's comp website for Pennsylvania.