Thread: Gotta take the bad with the good

Homosexual couples getting divorced and fighting over custody of the cats. (The professor got 'em, but had to give his "ex" pictures and veternary updates and I guess report cards.)

Heterosexual couples have enjoyed this bliss for years - I guess if it's good enough for them it outta be good enough for everybody who decides to tie the knot "'til death do us part or I just don't like you anymore".

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/12/10/ga....ap/index.html

[ 12-13-2004, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]

"Heterosexual couples have enjoy this bliss for years"

That's enjoyed.

Thank you - I hate when that happens, don't you? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I figured the people who would be the happiest about homosexuals getting married would be the divorce lawyers! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Karen, I take it you are an advocate for homosexual unions with the same legal ramifications as heterosexual unions?

ps. having some passing experience with divorce and lawyers I don't think you'll find smiley faces in court or on a lawyers door as a distraught client comes in the door. Doubly so when custody conflicts arise. You must know a heterosexual couple or two that have experienced divorce.

Lots of them. Most of them divorced because they didn't bother to be nice to each other anymore - nothing more profound than that.

And yes, if homosexuals can wed then they certainly should get to access the divorce courts just as heterosexual couples do.

Highest divorce rates are in the Red States regardless of homosexuality

Civil wedding simplifies and regularizes property arrangements. By the same token, divorce regularizes the dissolution of such arrangements.

Both are preferable to the unregulated messiness that accompanies unwedded couples arranging everything from health care decisions to home ownership and perhaps later seperating.

Which is why any couple should have the free choise in this matter. Mary Ellen and I should remain free not to wed so long aas that is our choise and Biff and Bob should be free to wed, if that's their's. And the Roman Catholic Church remains free not to sanction any wedding I might have, not being RC myself, just as it's free not to sanction gay unions, even if both partners are RC.

Let freedom reign.

Originally posted by km gresham:
    Lots of them. Most of them divorced because they didn't bother to be nice to each other anymore - nothing more profound than that.

And yes, if homosexuals can wed then they certainly should get to access the divorce courts just as heterosexual couples do.
    I didn't ask if wedded gays should have the same legal rights,,I asked if you advocated the legal institution that granted the same legal rights.

Ian is very wise.

I asked if you advocated the legal institution that granted the same legal rights.
    I am watching to see the answer as well Lee.
    What about it KM Gresham?

Heck, KM won't answer this one. It's one thing to observe that "equal access for divorce" is good if "equal access to marriage" is necessary. It's quite another thing to support gay/lesbian rights. Despite Cheney's family, it's simly too "liberal" to be stomached.

For God's sake - what would Anne Coulter say if she found out?

T.

Legal civil unions, not marriage. Same legal rights, privileges, and responsibilities, but not the same contract. I've said this before. I guess y'all forgot. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm for legal civil unions for as many adults as want them in whatever combination(s). Marriage is one man and one woman. Civil union could be 3 men, one woman and one transexual for all I care. Then everybody can do whatever they please. Isn't that really what it's all about anyway. Live and let live and all that stuff.

They're just bating you, Karen ... let'em go.

Heck, more divorce in red states ... but BIGGER mouths in blue states ...

I'm still married to my first wife

Marriage is one man and one woman.
    In Canada that's not the case any longer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

"There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I'll get married again."
    Clint Eastwood (1930 - )