Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Day (Nov. 7th)

Tomorrow is election day in the US. Set aside some time to vote. Because we all love wooden boats, and we always agree, I'm sure you'll pick the right person. Please Vote!
    Gary

Have you heard the latest net hoax? a net roumer going around is that due to the heavy expected turn out that there will be two days of voting this year/ Republicans are to vote on tuesday and Democrats are to vote on Wendsday

Jeffery

I add my voice urging everyone to vote; it should be a prerequisite to engaging in political discussions (not that we do that on this forum devoted solely to things wooden and floating). (Actually, I have an ulterior motive; it seems that the candidate whom I prefer is actually preferred by the majority of registered voters, but when the pollsters do their magic to predict who will be preferred by those who actually vote, the thing flip-flops and the candidate whom I do not prefer is consistently shown to have a slight lead. Thus, the more people who vote, the more likely my candidate will win.) (a second ulterior motive: I hope that there will be those who support the one I am against who will read the above, which is true, and will conclude therefrom that the thing to do to help their candidate is to not vote, thus reducing turnout. Its the sort of logic their candidate would himself fall for. Worth a try, anyway.)

So, does our being woodenboat heads mean that we should vote for the guy who looks more like the raw material

or should we quarter saw him and use the straight parts for planks

making hanging knees out of the crooks . . .

I'm voting for the incumbant. President Bartlett. I just love the job that him and Josh, and Leo, and Toby and the rest of the gang are doing there in the west wing.

Which one would you want to stand watch in a gale, while you step below to sleep.....

Well she's not running, so how about the one that can read a compass.

[This message has been edited by Greg H. (edited 11-06-2000).]

well, one of 'em's got a wooden head, and one of 'em's got the personality of a locust stump, and one of 'em probably wooden let us sail unsafe old boats, anyway, so there's plenty of choice for all of us...

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

This is sounding a lot like an US of A only forum. Just make sure you vote for whoever is going to be friendly to your northern neighbors. Oh yea - please ask them to stop shipping the acid rain from New Yerk up the coast.

Just so you remember to vote early (and vote often)

It's now the day in question here and you have still 5 hours to wait. I've been watching the coverage here with waneing interest - the media overkill is proberbly a tenth of the strength with you.
    Make use of your right to vote - in many places of the 'democratic' world I know you have ...
    One man, one vote, once.

May the best man win.

In my grumpy moments I think the best man hasn't even run since the last time Norman Thomas was on the ballot! Nonetheless, I've yet to miss an opportunity to vote, and unless I get hit by a bigger truck than mine on the way home tonight, I'll be there when the polls open in the morning.

When and by whom will the inevitable national quadrennial discussion get started concerning universal voting hours? I'd still like to see a 24 hour period set to GMT instead of this stupid system that allows the press to report exit polls while we left coasties are still at work. Who votes last--is it in Alaska? Hawaii? Guam?

John058
    I saw your reply about voting early and often and belive that you must live in the great city of Chicago where that is there motto. It is the only place in the U.S. of A. where you can live your entire life as a Republican and when you die become a Democrat!

I try to frequent this forum to get away from the hum-drum catatonic effects of that which
    other media forms choose to deluge me with. Anybody built a boat lately?

That's in the Building/Repair Department. They get fried when we talk politics or religion over there, but we can usually get away with guns or scotch if it is on a boat....

I do dearly love a decent single malt, I do, and I have been thinking, I need some kind of liquid tranquilizer for tomorrow night, for I have strong and probably misguided feelings about this thing, so, thank you, chemist, tomorrow I am going to buy a bottle of fine single malt, deciding which one will be part of the pleasure of it, and I will, in order to render this post acceptable, drink it on my boat in the driveway as I either lament or celebrate the election returns.

Oh, and by the way, that hoax is absolutley ridiculous, everyone knows, it is the democrats who vote Tuesday, the republicans Wednesday.

Good luck to you all, and of course I hope that the Best Man For the Job wins!

I would respectfully suggest voting for whoever seems to you to be best suited to dealing with the economic recession which has in fact started, rather than paying any attention to tax cuts which probably will not occur. In the UK, back in 1988/9, That Woman and her then chancellor, Lawson, were observed to speculate on what should be done after she had repaid the National Debt.

Guess what...within months we were talking of the end of the Lawson Bubble and the effect of negative equity on domestic housing and credit card overspend in delaying the recovery....

Tom,
    Chicago didn't invent voter fraud, they just perfected it
    Here in Atlanta, the revelation that multiple-thousands of voters were pulling a Lazarus to do so, was yesterday's front page story in the local fish wrap. The ploy even extends into rural Georgia.

Oh, and my elixer for this evening will be E&J VSOP brandy and I'll build a boat someday, I promise!

ACB, you are a very wise man.

Why is it that almost no one ever notices that the greatest momentum for tax cuts usually occurs right at the top of the economic cycle? There's no worse time to cut taxes, as the slowing economy will naturally reduce revenue and increase the demand on government services. If government really wanted to help, it would have reduced spending and increased taxes as the economy moved upward, and would now be in a much better position to respond to worsening economic times. But in this election, it makes no difference whether your candidate promises to cut taxes, or to pay off the national debt. Either way, there won't be enough money.

Ask yourself this: which candidate will be more likely to provide you with old-growth timber to build your boats and plentiful oil to run your deisels? LOL

[This message has been edited by Scott Rosen (edited 11-07-2000).]

Kermit
    I would guess that alaska votes last because it is west of hawaii and Guam is west of the international date line

If you wish to feel insignificent remember the election of 76 when Jimmy didn't get a single vote ( except for texas) between the missippi river and hawaii

writting from the colony of the west
    Jeffery

You Know what I would like to on the ballot? A box for 'none of the above', which would then require another vote within say, 30 days with differnet people....repeat as necessary.
    Suppose we'd have to get rid of the electoral college first though.
    vote- Inga

Read this moring in te WSJ that California sent out 3.2 MILLION absentee votes...

Ian McColgin has a point. Gore is stiff as a board and Bush looks like lumber left in the Texas sun too long. I'll vote for the least amount of rot showing. Gore will get the nod, but I was only paid to vote one time this year. Now I still get a sawbuck for each additional county I score a vote in as well. We call it "tax relief" here in the South.

"Ask yourself this: which candidate will be more likely to provide you with old-growth timber to build your boats and plentiful oil to run your deisels? LOL" Looks like either an oxymoron or perhaps hobson's choice?

"Vote early and vote often" can, I believe, be attributed to Boston's own Mayor Curley.

I am confused, which canidate is "WWF" and which is "WCW"? LOL

-YF Scott

PS I got to vote yesterday! (Monday, Nov. 6)

the wood-boat party
    could be our best candidate?
    drank CPES

Ed, no Hobson's choice there. One candidate says he will protect the old growth forests and remote oil fields from human hands. The other candidate will let us cut down the trees and build boats with the wood and will drill for the oil.

Save it. Or use it. That's the choice.

How's this for an approach to the use of old growth woods. I try to imagine myself a big ole tree, say Southern Yellow Pine or maybe White Oak. I've been growing for well over a hundred years deep in some forest where no human being has set foot. I'm just at the peak of my strength and beauty. As I look into the future, what do I want for myself? Should I choose immortality or should I choose death?

I choose immortality. So the first thing I'm going to do is find a good sawyer who will fell me when my heartwood is at its prime. Then I'll have him sell me to a boatbuilder and cut me up for use in a finely designed yacht. With a good varnish job, my beauty will live on forever in that boat. On the other hand, if I choose death, then I will stand alone in the forest until some strong wind blows me down. I'll then be decomposed by fungus, insects and worms and become the plant food for some weeds or poison ivy or something. I wouldn't wish that fate on a fiberglass tree.

Any of you folks having a slow day, too?

Having spent most of my life in the Central Time Zone (but NOT central in my political thoughts, I find it amusing to be living here on the 'almost last to vote' West (Left?) Coast. But, the amusing part is that I voted last week, via the absentee ballot route which apparently is being pushed here in Washington State. I like it, rather than having to run the gamut and gauntlet of political signs and glad-handing politicians at the polls on election day.

How I voted is my own cotton-pickin business, but will note that the country seems to be on a downhill slide, and neither political party, in office or without, has done anything to stem the flow of jobs and military hardware and bodies in all directions except our own.

So, suffice it to say that I'm darned unhappy with the way things are going, and, in general I will admit to voting to throw the rascals out. I know, more rascals will come in, but next election thrown them out, ad infinitim. At least that way they won't be there long enough to settle in.

Enough yet. That single malt sounds fine, but hanged if I'll waste time watching the returns, as the wailing chair in the shop suits me better.

Luck to us all. We are going to need it.

Takes me back to '68 when we radicalhippy you know what's figured there was not a nickle's worth of difference between the two parties. It's still 3 1/2 hrs before I get back to Hyannis to exercise my franchise but I sure don't plan to listen to the results either.

Though it'll be hard to miss them since I'll be at a party for the guy I hope will by my next state senator . . . At least I'll have access to all the wee drops I want and within walking distance of my berth.

Yes, luck to us all. What a civil wish on election eve. I'll lift my glass to that. One thing that does please me about how we do political business in this country is the way we accept political loss and then just get on with building that boat. Here's to you; here's to what we make of tomorrow.

"And no one knows what's gonna happen to anyone, 'cept the forlorn rags of growin' old." Kerouac

Not Kerouac, I might add.

Scott
    Slow Day? talk about a slow nail biting night I'm thinking of an old benny hill skit starts out... well actuallly it is rather a tragic and morbid vinnette so will not go into it.

The though if 4 more years with no improvement at best or civil war at worst is almost more than this one can take... vision getting to Lake Powell with just finished boat. Jersey barriors acrost the ramp and large sign " Closed to Humans, Lake powell to be drained, Your Pres. Gore at work"
    then grafetti next to it " and after all that work peddling your bycycle all the way down here.

I truely wish us all luck make that good luck
    Jeffery

WOW! It's the morning after, and we still don't know who the winner is. What seems likely is that Gore wins the popular vote and Bush wins the Electoral College, making Bush our next president. Those of you who watched tv last night, saw the media declare Gore winner in Florida, then retract and declare it too close to call, then declare Bush the winner, then retract and again declare it too close to call.

Regardless of whom you supported, I think this is the best thing to happen to America in very, very long time. We all got to eat a piece of humble pie. This is the best antidote for political arrogance that I can imagine. I especially enjoyed watching the various television networks reluctantly having to admit their mistakes, and then having to admit their inability to predict the outcome. The winner, whoever that will be, will have an overwhelming mandate to pursue the paths of compromise and moderation. How the mighty have fallen.

Scott, I hope you're right, but I'm not so sanguine. Winning with a plurality twice didn't keep Clinton from arrogance. Will winning/losing have much effect? Assuming that's what happens? It surely ain't the same as a landslide, I'll grant ya that.

More people stayed home to watch whoever shot JR than ever voted for RR and they called his win a mandate for somethingorother, so . . .

Whatever. We had a party for the first D to be state sen from Cape Cod. In real life he's a history prof at Mass Maratime, & he still managed to remark that in the early 1800's there were no D's, only Whigs. Oh well.