X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve McMahon
    Senior Dis-Member
    • Nov 2000

Heat pumps

I am constantly amazed at our heat pump. Even at -20 to -30c it keeps on ticking keeping us warm. In the summer when it hits +30c it keeps us cool. Every once in a while it goes into defrost mode, kind of has a mind of its own. Awesome technology. I can’t imagine ever going back to oil or wood heat. I do like the romance of a wood fire, but I can get that in my shed with the stove there without the mess of bringing wood into the house. Amazing that the cost of the heat pump (<2k from Amazon) is less than the cost of replacing an oil tank, let alone the cost to fill an oil tank. My neighbour is paying over 1000.00 a month for oil plus another 100.00 for electricity in a similar house. Our peak electricity bill this winter was under 300.00 for the coldest months.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Re: Heat pumps

Yes, we replaced the oil furnace with a heat pump almost 20 years ago now, and it's been a huge hit. I thought the A/C half of the equation would be meaningless, as (except for Texas) we've never lived in a house with A/C. With summers heating up, and us getting old, turns out we're really liking having it.

And now, with the demise of our solar hot water roof system... we are likely going to replace the old electric hot water heater with one sporting an integral heat/pump.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Jim Bow
      Still tender and callow f
      • Jul 2008

Our local power utility is trying to convince me to install a water heater with a heat pump on top. Ive yet to be convinced.
      “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Landrith
        • Aug 2005

I didn't believe in them as a kid, I blamed them for some public buildings being slow to change from heating to cooling in response to the weather outside. But, seeing them directly used in some YouTube videos for green houses like the retired postman that grows oranges for market in Nebraska are pretty convincing.
        "Bai'r llywodraeth yw e." Tollbooth (2021)

Comment

• Rich Jones
          What boat to build next?
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Jim Bow
          Our local power utility is trying to convince me to install a water heater with a heat pump on top. Ive yet to be convinced.
          I had one of those installed about five years ago. During the winter it sucked all the heat out of the basement air to heat the water. The heat pump unit crapped out after a couple of years and it wasn't worth fixing.

I had heat pumps installed in the house at the same time. Those things are great! We've been lazy about using the woodstove this winter and relied on the heat pumps more than usual. The winter has been mild (temperature wise) but even when it's below zero (F) they work fine.
          During the cold months here in Vermont they cost us about $200/month in a close to 3000 sq foot house.
          But.... it is still strongly suggested to have a back up heat system in extremely cold climates. Our back up is electric baseboard which we haven't used in a very long time.
          I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
          Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• David G
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Rich Jones
            I had one of those installed about five years ago. During the winter it sucked all the heat out of the basement air to heat the water. The heat pump unit crapped out after a couple of years and it wasn't worth fixing.

I had heat pumps installed in the house at the same time. Those things are great! We've been lazy about using the woodstove this winter and relied on the heat pumps more than usual. The winter has been mild (temperature wise) but even when it's below zero (F) they work fine.
            During the cold months here in Vermont they cost us about $200/month in a close to 3000 sq foot house.
            But.... it is still strongly suggested to have a back up heat system in extremely cold climates. Our back up is electric baseboard which we haven't used in a very long time.
            What brand? What sort of warranty was it under?

And they make more noise than other sorts. I've yet to hear one in operation... so don't know HOW much.

They do cool the room air when in operation. Ours will be right next to a basement transom window, so I'm thinking about rigging an easily switchable vent to outside for the winter and inside for the summer. Our supplier says don't put them in a room you heat, or that is smaller than 750 sq. ft.
            David G
            Harbor Woodworks
            https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• Lugs
              Banned
              • Jan 2023

We put our first heat pump hot water heater in back in '92 or '93. Had to replace it when the tank rusted out. I'm a fan of them. Wish we had 'em in the pub... our 'lectricity bill is us$500 a month

Comment

• L.W. Baxter
                can eat fifty eggs
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Landrith
                I didn't believe in them as a kid,
                hell, i don't believe in them now! how could they possibly work. i am very skeptical.

Comment

• Landrith
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by L.W. Baxter
                  hell, i don't believe in them now! how could they possibly work. i am very skeptical.
                  It is an Edgar Rice Burroughs conspiracy theory....the Inner Earth is heated by its own Sun at the core. So if you have a buried pipe , you should get endless free heat...lol
                  "Bai'r llywodraeth yw e." Tollbooth (2021)

Comment

• Lugs
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2023

Heat pumps featured strongly in an energy strategy I put together for Oz's largest commercial space user. I love the things.

Comment

• Canoez
                      Did I say that out loud?
                      • Sep 2007

We just put in a heat-pump hot water heater to replace an old Bock oil fired one. We put in a Rheem hybrid 80 gallon unit (They make both Rheem and Ruud brands). So far, it has been a good decision - quiet and efficient, but with a somewhat slow recovery in heat-pump only mode. With a full house, we run Hybrid mode which will use resistive elements if necessary. We were told that having the larger tank is a good idea.
                      "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                      -William A. Ward

Comment

• David W Pratt
                        • May 2005

Do they use air, or underground water as a heat source?

Comment

• Canoez
                          Did I say that out loud?
                          • Sep 2007

Depends. There are geothermal and air-sourced systems. Most are air-sourced.

Mine is an air-sourced system.

We were looking at a geothermal for whole-house heating and cooling, but we’re having a difficult time getting a quote.
                          "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                          -William A. Ward

Comment

• Steve McMahon
                            Senior Dis-Member
                            • Nov 2000

Originally posted by Canoez
                            Depends. There are geothermal and air-sourced systems. Most are air-sourced.

Mine is an air-sourced system.

We were looking at a geothermal for whole-house heating and cooling, but we’re having a difficult time getting a quote.
                            I went the mini split route. Bought them off Amazon. <$2,000.00. About $300.00 to buy a vacuum pump and gauges to install myself. The units are pre charged . Very simple to install. No warranty because I installed myself and don’t have a refrigeration licence. Because of the remote are we live, to get it supplied and installed by a certified company would have been around $6,000.00 my (logic?) was $2,300.00 bucks, no warranty versus $6,000.00 for a install with a warrant that likely isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.
                            Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Comment

• bluedog225
                              Tom
                              • Mar 2009

Hey Steve. Thinking of doing the same. Mind sharing the brand or any tips? Did you end up re-flaring the copper or did it work fine out of the box?

Comment

Working...