Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Jung
    • Jan 2004

Re: Nashville School Shooting

And the elephant in the room (nicely expressed by LeeG) is - we're awash with guns in this country. Everyone wants to ignore that one.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• Kevin T
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Steve McMahon
      sorry you are so off base I’m not going to try to correct your misguided position.
      "Many more are killed by people misusing cars than misusing guns. Should cars be outlawed and taken away from everyone?"

For a second there I thought that maybe Phillip A had returned from the dead, then I saw no mention of crash helmets and I knew it couldn't be Phillip.
      "Unrepentant Reprobate"
      Lew Barrett

Comment

• Paul Pless
        pinko commie tree hugger
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Dikhaut
        Many more are killed by people misusing cars than misusing guns. Should cars be outlawed and taken away from everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        year 2022
        automobile related fatalities: 42,380*
        firearms fatalities: 44,310

* some of these are probably suicides, should they be counted?
        Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• WX
          Uki NSW Australia
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by TerryLL
          Of course. It is also my right to own a machine gun, a flame thrower, a bazooka, and various types of explosives. The NFA and the ATF says I have the right to own any of those items as long as I pass a background check, fill out the paperwork, and pay the appropriate fees. Any American citizen has the same right. What is your point?
          As long as you hold that stance then you have to accept the fact that all mass shootings are a fair price to pay for your right to own guns.
          Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• LeeG
            • May 2002

Originally posted by George Jung
            And the elephant in the room (nicely expressed by LeeG) is - we're awash with guns in this country. Everyone wants to ignore that one.
            One of those toddlers running with a pencil point up. “quick, get all the pencils on the floor!” You just can’t have too many pointy things around the babies. Ya just can’t have too many guns around a population of people that has a normal distribution of responsible and totally unhinged citizens. How many should it be? What’s the magic number? Kinda depends on how responsible folks are in their use and if folks have realistic expectations for their utility but give me an effing break, 400 million? We aren’t Switzerland, we aren’t a society with strong social expectations like Japan. We elected TFG for Gawd’s sake and he’s campaigning on his Jan6 violence.
            This is simply insane. Like rationalizing the need for enough nuclear bombs to decimate the worlds population, “For Defense!”

Comment

• John Smith
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Joe (SoCal)
              Exactly. The Vegas shooter was a perfectly normal “Good Guy with a S#IT TON of Guns” right up until he sent the first round into the first innocent concert goer. No abhorrent mental issues, all the guns were purchased legally and at the time all the bump stocks were purchased legally and we still don’t know the real reason.

That said, everyone gets sad every now and then, and that gun sure makes a moment of sadness into permanent sadness for the family pretty efficiently
              The young man who, back in '93, put bullets into the heads of 5 people would have passed any test.
              "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• John Smith
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by George Jung
                Not everyone. I often inquire as to what we do about guns already in the hands of the people.
                "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• John Smith
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by LeeG
                  One of those toddlers running with a pencil point up. “quick, get all the pencils on the floor!” You just can’t have too many pointy things around the babies. Ya just can’t have too many guns around a population of people that has a normal distribution of responsible and totally unhinged citizens. How many should it be? What’s the magic number? Kinda depends on how responsible folks are in their use and if folks have realistic expectations for their utility but give me an effing break, 400 million? We aren’t Switzerland, we aren’t a society with strong social expectations like Japan. We elected TFG for Gawd’s sake and he’s campaigning on his Jan6 violence.
                  This is simply insane. Like rationalizing the need for enough nuclear bombs to decimate the worlds population, “For Defense!”
                  Pencils are designed to write. Guns are designed to kill. Many things in life may kill, but that's not their designed purpose. None are analogous to guns. Killing is their designed purpose.

Comment

• RFNK
                    Port Stephens, Australia
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Boatbum
                    Then I guess you did not read the post to which I responded or the content I pasted. But if is more comforting for you to stereotype me, have at it!
                    I guess you live in a bubble. How many children murdered in any of the countries you mention? How many instances of children killing anyone? How many children dying at school? USA is saturated with guns and gun deaths. You actually know, for a fact, that changing the level of gun ownership and the types of guns allowed would make a massive difference, as it has everywhere else, but because you believe it's more important for you to own whatever you want than the lives of even children, you bend the statistics to suit your position. It's selfishness on a monumental scale. Shame on you.
                    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Ralphie Boy
                      • Sep 2014

I love the comparison with motor vehicles, as it actually proves the point of Gun Control.

Q1: How many more vehicle deaths would there be in this country if we removed all requirements for Driver Training/Licensing/Registration/Insurance, etc.?

Q2: Based on your answer to Q1, do you think we should remove all laws and regulations regarding vehicle ownership and operation?

Now replace “vehicles” with “guns”.

Comment

• WX
                        Uki NSW Australia
                        • Feb 2002

How many threads on gun crime have we had in The Bilge? How have resulted in the majority agreeing on how to end the carnage?
                        Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• LeeG
                          • May 2002

Originally posted by WX
                          How many threads on gun crime have we had in The Bilge? How have resulted in the majority agreeing on how to end the carnage?
                          Seems to me a majority outside the US have agreement. Y’all seem like civilized people.

Comment

• ShorelineJohn
                            • Feb 2013

So how many have started with taking guns away from themselves. Seems like nobody wants to start there, just want to take them away from everybody else that scares them. And why do you want to pick on "mental illness"? Most people that are "mental ill" are not violent. Judging a large portion of the population that are strong enough to say they have issues, due to actions of a few? So if you don't get good enough grades in school, you can't have a gun? Who gets to decide? It's not even a second amendment issue, it's in direct conflict with the ADA!
                            10 pages and it all comes to the same conclusion, nothing can be done. But anyone can control their own actions, take the guns away from yourself. Besides if you are on that list the cops will have a hard time justifying shooting you!

Comment

• Ralphie Boy
                              • Sep 2014

31 states don’t have Red Flag laws, we could start with that!

Comment

• Steve McMahon
                                Senior Dis-Member
                                • Nov 2000

I like guns. I grew up on a farm, hunted deer, grouse, and bunnies. A simpler time in the 70’s. Sunday afternoons target shooting with dad’s Colt Marksman pistol or shooting skeet with the 12 gauge Remington pump. I don’t hunt anymore but my freezer is full of moose gifted by neighbours. Down sized now to a single shot 22 bolt action and a 16 gauge single shot break action. Damned if I know where I tucked away the keys to the trigger locks or the keys to the steel box that has a few bullets in it. If I get the desire to go to the gravel pit and shoot some skeet or murder some beer cans i will find the keys. Im not at all put out that I am legally required to keep my guns locked up and restricted in the type of guns I can possess for the sake of society in general. Guns are a tool. Designed to kill. If you want to kill lots of humans you need high capacity mags, semi automatic’s etc… if you want to get protein to feed your family, protect your livestock, or even defend your castle against other humans you do not. If you need more than three shots in you .308 to take your moose, or more than one shot in your shotgun to defend your castle you shouldn’t own a firearm. If you feel the need to have a pistol in your bed stand table or glove box for protection, god help you, you have my deepest sympathies. I honestly can’t imagine living in that state of fear.
                                Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Comment

Working...