• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sp_clark
    Here Before, Earlier Life
    • Sep 2015

Re: Necessity is the mother of invention

Originally posted by Hugh MacD
    Was that the locomotive? Yeah! The acceleration curve was...interesting. But the torque curve !!! Haven't bought a R&T since the '60s, but always enjoyed April
    RT17Vol_1.jpg

End of my junior year in high school. Great stuff!!

More on topic... we have many Amish around where I am now; "rush hour" is a couple of wagons behind a milk truck.

Somehow I missed the 'connected to the earth' bit about why they eschew electricity. Quite a number have 'off-the-grid' systems for 12 V DC power, multiple batteries in somekinda array, charged by any number of means now available. So there must be some latitude in what they can employ, as long as it passes muster with their elders?
    Last edited by sp_clark; 03-06-2023, 06:51 PM.
    "Because we are not divine, we must jettison the many burdens we cannot bear."

Mark Helprin, 2017

Comment

• JayInOz
      • Nov 2009

In farming, poverty is the mother of invention. Repairs to old worn out equipment were often ingenious.

Comment

• Garret
        Hills of Vermont
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sp_clark
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]130997[/ATTACH]

End of my junior year in high school. Great stuff!!

More on topic... we have many Amish around where I am now; "rush hour" is a couple of wagons behind a milk truck.

Somehow I missed the 'connected to the earth' bit about why they eschew electricity. Quite a number have 'off-the-grid' systems for 12 V DC power, multiple batteries in somekinda array, charged by any number of means now available. So there must be some latitude in what they can employ, as long as it passes muster with their elders?
        I missed that R&T issue - though IIRC I was a Car & Driver reader then.

On the Amish - it's not power that's an issue. It's connecting to the world. Making your own power (solar, wind, genset, whatever) is OK for most Amish - but connecting to the grid is not. Same with phones. You may see an occasional phone in Amish country, but there won't be one in a house.
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Ron Williamson
          Rocketman
          • Apr 2000

The variations of Mennonite/Amish rules are almost endless.
          I was at at steel roofing fab shop with massive presses and brakes,run by guys wearing handmade pants and shirts.
          No belts,zippers or moustaches.
          R
          Sleep with one eye open.

Comment

• Breakaway
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Garret
            I missed that R&T issue - though IIRC I was a Car & Driver reader then.

On the Amish - it's not power that's an issue. It's connecting to the world. Making your own power (solar, wind, genset, whatever) is OK for most Amish - but connecting to the grid is not. Same with phones. You may see an occasional phone in Amish country, but there won't be one in a house.

Exactly as I understand it.
            Once on the lake and fishing for food for the community, its ok.
            Amish furniture shops may have generators providing power for tools.

A friend in Indiana built a house and had the site cleared and prepped by Amish, apparently the best guy around.

The guy could not drive the flatbed with backhoe on it to the site. But, he could drive the machine once it was on site. So a second man was hired as a driver.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

Working...