Thread: Must Love Dogs

Default Must Love Dogs

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Must Love Dogs

I used to point out a window at something and our Ginger (Boxer/Sharpei/+many others according to DNA) might be interested in like another dog) and she would go to that window for a look outside.

I tell my Buddy to get Lambchop and he brings me his Lambchop toy. The same with Big Chop (a large Lambchop), Mr. Moose, Duck, and ball.

Buddy loves playing fetch and when I put on my jacket he clearly anticipates doing so. When I say, "Let's go outside and play with the ball," he gets very excited. If I don't move as quickly as he wants he barks at me... a unique bark that sounds like "Roo Roo Roo." If he wants to play fetch but I say, "Let's go outside and take a walk" he pouts by walking away from me and laying down. I then have to bribe him with a treat to get him to get up and go.

After we have played fetch for a while and he is panting heavily I say, "Let's go in the house and get a drink of water." Buddy then trots to the door and waits for me to catch up and open it. If I say "Let's take a ride in the car" he trots to the passenger side door of the car and waits for me to catch up and open it for him to jump inside.

Buddy does not attempt to bolt out the door whenever it is opened. As a puppy he always waited for me to hook him to a line before going out the door. Now as an adult he waits for me to tell him it is OK to go outside.

Buddy will bark to alert me when he thinks it is necessary. He stops when I tell him everything is OK. He does not bark at everyone who walks by the house on the front sidewalk (thank God). He does not bark at the postman, the pizza delivery person, or the UPS and FedEx drivers.

Buddy is wary of traffic. When we arrive at an intersection on our walks he sits on his own and waits for me to indicate it is OK to cross the street. It is funny... often a driver will bring his car to a stop and wave at us to cross despite having the right-of-way. While he is sitting at an intersection I can tell Buddy to "STAY" and cross the intersection by myself. He will remain sitting until I either call for him to come or I return to him.

These are all things Buddy learned to do with little instruction from me. For instance... one day I said, "Let's go in the house," and he trotted to the door. He has done the same ever since. The same with "Let's take a ride in the car" and he trots to the car. I did not train him to do that. He clearly has figured out the meaning of many words. Dogs are amazing animals.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 12-09-2022 at 07:56 AM.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I tell my Buddy to get Lambchop and he brings me his Lambchop toy. The same with Big Chop (a large Lambchop), Mr. Moose, Duck, and ball.

Buddy loves playing fetch and when I put on my jacket he clearly anticipates doing so. When I say, "Let's go outside and play with the ball," he gets very excited. If I don't move as quickly as he wants he barks at me... a unique bark that sounds like "Roo Roo Roo." If he wants to play fetch but I say, "Let's go outside and take a walk" he pouts by walking away from me and laying down. I then have to bribe him with a treat to get him to get up and go.

After we have played fetch for a while and he is panting heavily I say, "Let's go in the house and get a drink of water." Buddy then trots to the door and waits for me to catch up and open it. If I say "Let's take a ride in the car" he trots to the passenger side door of the car and waits for me to catch up and open it for him to jump inside.

Buddy does not attempt to bolt out the door whenever it is opened. As a puppy he always waited for me to hook him to a line before going out the door. Now as an adult he waits for me to tell him it is OK to go outside.

Buddy will bark to alert me when he thinks it is necessary. He stops when I tell him everything is OK. He does not bark at everyone who walks by the house on the front sidewalk (thank God). He does not bark at the postman, the pizza delivery person, or the UPS and FedEx drivers.

Buddy is wary of traffic. When we arrive at an intersection on our walks he sits on his own and waits for me to indicate it is OK to cross the street. It is funny... often a driver will bring his car to a stop and wave at us to cross despite having the right-of-way. While he is sitting at an intersection I can tell Buddy to "STAY" and cross the intersection by myself. He will remain sitting until I either call for him to come or I return to him.

These are all things Buddy learned to do with little instruction from me. For instance... one day I said, "Let's go in the house," and he trotted to the door. He has done the same ever since. The same with "Let's take a ride in the car" and he trots to the car. I did not train him to do that. He clearly has figured out the meaning of many words. Dogs are amazing animals.
    smart buddy! it may not just be the words that he is understanding, but physical cues you are giving. some cues can be extremely subtle and completely unconscious. i think dogs are wired better for physical cues than verbal. they watch and learn what your posture, gestures, attitude mean.

fergus knows we are going for a ride as soon as i put my wallet in my pocket, to give an obvious example.

less obvious might be how he knows, with nothing in my hands, that i am going to the garden. from different locations on the property. he seems to know it as soon as i think it. maybe watching my eyes? i dunno. he runs right to the gate just in case i relent and let him in. good digging in there.

0CE4E83C-9093-496E-9C03-214DB5ED40F6.jpg
    Ours are ignorant monsters. Uncivilized savages. But, don’t say “ride” or “squirrel”, because they will go in-SANE!

D92858EA-4403-4F23-9F34-7CD5B0A907EE.jpg

A scruffy little beast, sleeping in what I like to call the “Snoopy Pose”.

He now knows what “Squirrel!” means, and will run outside if we tell him to.

-we sure love the little miscreant!

Must Love Dogs
    i was just attacked by this guy
    an hour later we had worked 'things' out

7C1B84C7-451D-4531-99A1-5E4A7B73281F.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

^
    Did you take the photo? He likes what he sees!
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

the owner took the photo

he has lots of issues, lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.