Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 38th time

Default Re: 38th time

Joe, don't take this the wrong way, but I have a feeling it's a niche job that a lot of people assume will be easy and then realize that it's not. I'm a little surprised by the "never shows", but high turnover after a month would not surprise me at all.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Perhaps they think after seeing the show they can do the job for cash, without a boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Maybe its time to raid your competition? Hire groomers away from other groomers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I cant do that it goes agents my moral code.

A little back story my wife worked for some seriously shady shops over the years and when we started this company we decided we would never do anything like that. We treat everyone with respect and dignity we are completely transparent and open. We believe a company should also have a soul, so we give back we groom shelter dogs for free, during covid we provided a FREE shuttle that I drove to take any home bound dog to the vet or get food and deliver it to not just our customers but anyone free of charge. I take some serious umbrage at people who don’t know how we run our company and how we treat the people who work with us for years. I take a lot of pride in doing the right things, being honest and sacrificing to make sure our staff is well taken care of.

We have groomers that have been with us for years, I’ve paid for education, scissors, I’ve taken groomers to Vegas for Super Zoo paid their transportation, hotel and food, so they could become better at their craft. I’ve found apartment and helped younger groomers get in by writing letters of recommendation. I’ve brought chicken soup to sick groomers. I show up with sandwiches and have team building events like go cart racing and company Christmas parties. and on and on. Before covid this was our last company holiday dinner party.

BED66870-195F-41EA-B12F-2738A0BE29E1.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Absolutely correct.

When I first started this company with my wife I was like this is gonna be easy all I have to do is hire more of you. THERE ARE NO RENEE GROOMERS OUT THERE. They are all damaged gypsies who chose to work with dogs because they cant deal with people.
    I have a friend who works in the animal research world. They need many folks to do various aspects of animal care and they have a heck of a time keeping employees. The work is too hard, they don't get along with other people, etc. etc. It's really frustrating. My friend is their Renee....

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Perhaps they think after seeing the show they can do the job for cash, without a boss?
    Seriously not that easy and not a lot of people can recreate our secret sauce. Besides if you can’t even show up, text or call you don’t have what it takes to run your own business.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yer dog washers gotta pee in a cup?

Classic book move.

It might be interesting to actually be a sensitive dog groomer and then talk to an east coaster trying to capitalize on the old hat trick.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I cant do that it goes agents my moral code.

A little back story my wife worked for some seriously shady shops over the years and when we started this company we decided we would never do anything like that. We treat everyone with respect and dignity we are completely transparent and open. We believe a company should also have a soul, so we give back we groom shelter dogs for free, during covid we provided a FREE shuttle that I drove to take any home bound dog to the vet or get food and deliver it to not just our customers but anyone free of charge. I take some serious umbrage at people who don’t know how we run our company and how we treat the people who work with us for years. I take a lot of pride in doing the right things, being honest and sacrificing to make sure our staff is well taken care of.

We have groomers that have been with us for years, I’ve paid for education, scissors, I’ve taken groomers to Vegas for Super Zoo paid their transportation, hotel and food, so they could become better at their craft. I’ve found apartment and helped younger groomers get in by writing letters of recommendation. I’ve brought chicken soup to sick groomers. I show up with sandwiches and have team building events like go cart racing and company Christmas parties. and on and on. Before covid this was our last company holiday dinner party.

BED66870-195F-41EA-B12F-2738A0BE29E1.jpg

Rather than thinking what it would do to your competition, think about how it would affect the potential employee.

You could offer better wages, better hours, not to mention the simple opportunity to work in the environment you have created. These are all good things.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Groomers ghosting are one thing and I really feel for you, but the real travesty here are those dress flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

So because I own a company and pay way above a living wage Iím now the MAN a greedy corporate capitalist and Iím living off the backs of my workers (slaves) ? Did I miss that point ? OH and I didnít miss your editing your images
    the deleted image was choosen wrongly due to poor preview on this device and I forgot about the forum's bs posting of deleted attachments.. and the required 2nd step. it was never meant to be.

as for my point, it's simply while you felt the wage etc was adequate, they obviously didn't. you can ask why? or complain.. but given that corporate america has sent the message that workers need not be forewarned of industry actions, I find it understandable that esp non-corporate workers don't necessarily telegraph all their moves. Further, you - as if you didn't know - are beyond a type A personality.. it's entirely possible this person felt some hesitation concerning further interaction. when will you - if ever - realize Cali is Not N.Y.

that's all.. I find attempts to understand go further than esp attempts to complain - and if there have been 38 no shows? out of how many, I would be asking myself questions.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Yer dog washers gotta pee in a cup?
    No they usually pee in $16 million dollar mansion bathrooms of our clients or places they stop for lunch. Your point ?

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Rather than thinking what it would do to your competition, think about how it would affect the potential employee.

You could offer better wages, better hours, not to mention the simple opportunity to work in the environment you have created. These are all good things.

Kevin
    I think this is actually a good line of thought. Time to think outside the box, discover and reinvent the way of business and the ownership of work everyone possesses.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    the deleted image was choosen wrongly due to poor preview on this device and I forgot about the forum's bs posting of deleted attachments.. and the required 2nd step. it was never meant to be.

as for my point, it's simply while you felt the wage etc was adequate, they obviously didn't. you can ask why? or complain.. but given that corporate america has sent the message that workers need not be forewarned of industry actions, I find it understandable that esp non-corporate workers don't necessarily telegraph all their moves. Further, you - as if you didn't know - are beyond a type A personality.. it's entirely possible this person felt some hesitation concerning further interaction. when will you - if ever - realize Cali is Not N.Y.

that's all.. I find attempts to understand go further than esp attempts to complain - and if there have been 38 no shows? out of how many, I would be asking myself questions.

Just absolutely WRONG in every possible way - I'm almost at a loss for words to explain to you how out of touch you are over this particular situation. She Ghosted for her own weird reason and it has NOTHING to do with how we run our company. HOW do I know that because she NEVER GOT TO EXPERIENCE HOW WE OPERATE.

She's a 22 year old with to be honest not the best resume but I was willing to pay to train her to get better. She proclaimed to love how we do things and loved learning from Renee. JUST LAST NIGHT she texted and I quote " I'm so looking forward to working with you guys, you seem like a great place to work, and thank you for taking a chance on me" followed by "Sure see you tomorrow have a great night! "

I'm sorry Im not seeing the whole us as Jeff Bezos Amazon Corporate arsehole you are trying to prove.

Whyfor the disappointment here? We all oughta know humans are way overrated.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

No they usually pee in $16 million dollar mansion bathrooms of our clients or places they stop for lunch. Your point ?
    You know my point .
    you test em fer weed

You know my point .
    you test em fer weed
    On a case by case basis, I do run a very basic background check and when I put them on my insurance they run their DL so if they have any DUI / DWI etc hits I know.

I'm sorry Im not seeing the whole us as Jeff Bezos Amazon Corporate arsehole you are trying to prove.
    and there's that oh so compassionate and self aware attitude we've all come to know and love!

otoh, since that was not my point.. self identification, anyone?

durnik, over & out.

Well I stand corrected Joe.
    I thought I read long ago that you drug tested your employees.
    but “case by case” or random… it is still drug testing .

4:05 I just got text from her

Hey im really sorry about today because i took my german shepherd out for a walk in the mornin before i want to come to your office and something soooo random and crazyy happened a weirdo coyote came so close to me and my dog tried to defend me n he got bitten and having some scars after fighting with the coyote so i took him to a vet bc not sure if the coyote had disease or something this is not normal bc my dog is 115lbs i didn’t see anything like this the coyote literally wants to attacked me or my dog not sure!!!!

I mean i heard that the coyote attacks my friends dog but it was a maltipoo not a german tho!!! I just panicked and forgot to take my phone with me i went with my boyfriend so i didn’t have your phone to textin you
    Ummmm Our Name is Groom Service - It's easy to find our number its all over the web with our phone number - she couldn't call for EIGHT HOURS ?

Edited to add: Psssssst Durnik still think its my abrasive type A caustic NY personality and my vulture capitalist nature ?
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 12-08-2022 at 07:17 PM.

Well I stand corrected Joe.
    I thought I read long ago that you drug tested your employees.
    but “case by case” or random… it is still drug testing .
    my policy was to randomly test my employees' drugs
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    my policy was to randomly test my employees drugs
    Random is always better...... you never know, keeps them on their toes

you're giving her a second chance tomorrow?

Ummmm Our Name is Groom Service - It's easy to find our number its all over the web with our phone number - she couldn't call for EIGHT HOURS ?

Edited to add: Psssssst Durnik still think its my abrasive type A caustic NY personality and my vulture capitalist nature ?

That story sounds, in the lingo of somebody her age, sus. I would expect that she would have had her phone with her _on_ the walk, and therefore still in her pocket at the vet, etc. Regardless, you're totally right that she still had any number of ways to contact you. Her story might be true, but it reminds me of some of the weird and really hard to believe excuses I heard from undergrads about lost homework or missed tests while I was a teaching assistant in graduate school. The craziest of those was a student who claimed that she left her text book, notes, homework, etc. at her boyfriend's house when she was forced to flee because somebody broke in and threatened them with a machine gun. In Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In about 1989. Sadly that was the beginning of a long series of bad choices on the part of that student and she did not pass the class. Anyway, a coyote attacking a German Shepard who was with a human? Maybe, but.....

"Dog ate my homework?" Pah!

My brother's pal from University couldn't initially submit his doctoral thesis because it went down with HMS Sheffield on May 10th, 1982.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

you're giving her a second chance tomorrow?
    Tomorrow she's been kidnapped by the coyote; please pay the ransom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Classic book move.

It might be interesting to actually be a sensitive dog groomer and then talk to an east coaster trying to capitalize on the old hat trick.
    But at the end he does like her hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Besserwisser View Post
    Tomorrow she's been kidnapped by the coyote; please pay the ransom.

Can't imagine it turning out any other way <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It might be a true story, ask her if you can help her out with the vet's bill. "Which vet was it exactly? We would like to talk with them"
    It's a pretty good story and remarkable if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It's a pretty good story and remarkable if it is true.
    only in l.a.

garth's story tops it though

While she probably didn't communicate as professionally as she should have, she was understandably upset that her dog was attacked and was busy at the vet. She texted photos of the dog and it will be ok but I can understand her concern. We spoke and ironed some things out hopefully things will work out going forward. There Is no need to vent frustration any further.

WhilThere Is no need to vent frustration any further.
    locking the thread?

only in l.a.

garth's story tops it though
    That experience was just bonkers. My advisor, who was the professor teaching the class, did give her the benefit of the doubt and called the Cedar Rapids police dept. and the Iowa Bureau of Investigation to see if anybody had reported any sort of crime, assault, etc. involving a machine gun. The cops laughed a bunch, and said no. The IBI had no record of any such crime in the state of Iowa, ever. It was sad though. The student was having a tough time, and was about to lose her scholarship, and had a lot of things stacked against her. We tried to help her but to no avail.

I am glad to hear that the coyote attack is true - not that it's good that a dog was attacked, of course, but that the young woman wasn't lying. Perhaps she'll work out and she'll learn to how to act more professionally. I'm sure Joe, you'll help her along, if she'll let you.

locking the thread?
    Do I look like Don{n}

This issue that Joe raises appears to be a thing . . .

and it has migrated into the lexicon !!

Ghosting in the workplace is an increasing concern for employers as the growing trend of candidates who don't show up to scheduled interviews, don't arrive on the first day of work or even quit without giving notice rises. This trend is also known as “ghosting” in the workplace.

I must say, that I understand the frustration about being ghosted. And I accept, that you do everything you can to run a company to a high standard including very good working environment for your staff. The work you request of your staff is a combination of skills and abilities that because of the combination is not that easy to find - but that is what it is. You are willing to train, to actually pay for training, that reduces the threshold likely as far as possibe for you. That you are apparently a strong extrovert with a strong will - is part of the package deal as well and staff who work for your company need to be able to cope with that fact. In the end it is about fitting - company and staff need to fit to each other. Either they do or they do not.

Assuming that is as it is - be glad the lady decided she did not want to work for you. You wrote her CV was dodgy to start with - in the end, even though you would have been willing to train her and help her, she choose to continue the way that had already made her CV dodgy. It was her choice, she is what she is. Perhaps she will sober up some day and understand that she has to be reliable if she wants to play in an A team. Until then, it will be B, C or D teams for her. She may get by with her way as long as she is young and attractive, but that probably won't work any more once she is 45 or 50. And even if the reason why she did not turn up is simpy, that she suddenly was afraid of failing when providing service to the rich and entitled - even then, it is better as it is because she did not have the guts to work in that environment. If she ever should contact you again for the job, you can decide if you want to sit down with her and discuss topics like ghosting and reliability or not. But for the moment, it does not make sense to spend another thought on the lady.

Beyond that - beware of the "My fair Lady" symptom. If I remember correctly, it did not end well for the one who tried to help and develop the fair lady.

Last point: Please do post how the story continues. In the end, I am on this forum for entertainment.
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 12-09-2022 at 02:29 AM.