Thread: about effing time

Default about effing time

A Democratic committee on Friday approved a proposal, pushed by President Biden, that would upend the party's presidential primary calendar, elevating South Carolina to the first spot, moving the swing states of Georgia and Michigan up to the early slate, and putting Iowa back in the pack.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/12/01/11401...nominating-cal
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: about effing time

NH has it written into the state's constitution that it will be the first primary. This is not going to end well.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Now Republicans should move the first primary to Florida.

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 8.16.16 AM.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    NH has it written into the state's constitution that it will be the first primary. This is not going to end well.
    It is up to the parties to nominate in the manner they want. States have no real authority in the matter. But some want what they do not have the power to take.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I get the point of it & don't disagree that the DNC needs to get out of the 1800s, but what gives them the right to do this? NH's statute makes this problematic as well.

Are they unhooking Dem & Rep primaries? Historically, they've been together, no?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

As an ignorant Canadian, I have no idea of what the primaries are supposed to do and it seems like a major waste of money. I am used to a system where the riding associations choose who the candidate will be, usually by a vote of the association members, unless the party wants to parachute somebody in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 8.16.16 AM.jpg
    This image is missing the shell casings on the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    It is up to the parties to nominate in the manner they want. States have no real authority in the matter. But some want what they do not have the power to take.
    I've lived here long enough to see at least one blow up over this same topic. NH is absolutely rabid over being first.

In their defense, I can say this - (1) it's a small state, so campaigning early in the season when you have little money is actually a lot easier, (2) it's a conservative state with heavily populated liberal areas that challenge both parties to articulate their positions, and (3) I get to see all the candidates which is a lot of fun.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx