Thread: Deks Olje

Default Deks Olje

So the seats I have in the cockpit are finished with Deks Olje matte, when I bought the boat this summer I added two fresh layers that seemed to absorb fine but was a bit surprised to see a lot of wear this month, grey showing through all of the sudden. Seemed like the snow sitting on them caused it. Anyone seen this before? I expected wear from the sun but they looked perfect until the cold weather snap. Perhaps the water/snow sitting on them caused it

Default Re: Deks Olje

Application instructions for Deks #1 are to apply multiple coats, wet on wet, until it fails to absorb any more, then wipe off the excess and let it dry. Anything less is... less, however whether or not any oil finish would survive extended periods with snow sitting on itis questionable. Perhaps you should buy a tarp of some sort. Most clear finished wooden boats don't do so well when left out in the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Application instructions for Deks #1 are to apply multiple coats, wet on wet, until it fails to absorb any more, then wipe off the excess and let it dry. Anything less is... less, however whether or not any oil finish would survive extended periods with snow sitting on itis questionable. Perhaps you should buy a tarp of some sort. Most clear finished wooden boats don't do so well when left out in the weather.
    Yeah I didn't do them originally simply put on some maintenance coats in summer. Didn't expect it to fail so quick. I'll take them in the garage for a sanding and try a lot more coats this time I guess. Thanks

I've used a few quart cans of Deks #1 and #2. Expecting either to withstand snow is asking too much. If you owned a convertible, would you leave that out in the snow with the top down? Every surface in a car resists weather better than a bright finish on a boat.

After some research I'm not too sure I want to keep the stuff, I might give it a sanding to see how easy it is to remove. I think the seats are made of teak but I'm not 100%. I need to refinish them so will be looking for a replacement material. Does anyone have a product they want to rave about for seats? Of course if it penetrates too deep and sanding is not effective perhaps I will just use D1 and put D2 on top for more protection. Pic coming in next post

I have tried Deks Olye several times, Its easy to apply & probably works best on softwoods or timbers it can soak into, A durable coating it isnt, you still have to apply maintenance coats every few months. As for the D2 i remember my Dad using it for a few seasons, looked good but wasnt much more long lasting. Final straw were the mahogany hatches from his yacht, Multiple coats of D1 & then D2, the finish was exceptional & looked superb.
    After a couple of months the surface was heavily crazed & failed shortly afterwards. For the amount of work it was a total waste of time.
    He went back to varnish & i didnt use it for years. Did have some success with D1 on a clinker dinghy planked in spruce, i used it to do a few coats inside & on a boat like that it does get behind the ribs etc, I then used varnish over the top & it did quite well.

I use Desk olje 1 as a primer on my teak boat benches and other woodwork( 10-15 coats in one go, I just keep saturating it) let it dry and then use 2 or 3 coats of Epifanes rapid clear as an intermediate coat, that's 2 days of time in total. Finish it off with a 2 or 3 topcoat layers to your preference, I have tried the Epifanes products and Le Tonkinois, both are OK.

My benches survive approximately 5-7 years with some minor touch ups, the benches suffer the most because they are walked upon. Then you start over again. I do cover up the woodwork under a tarp.

The benches before recoating, I don't have a pic after, but it looks a lot nicer
    IMG_0801.jpg
    Last edited by dutchpp; 12-25-2022 at 04:22 AM.

Decided to try out d.2 so refinishing the d.1. Now….looks lovely