Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what about naps

Default what about naps

they say that nobody on their death bed regrets not working more hours.

what about naps? do people on their deathbed regret not taking more naps?

i've had some memorable naps. including naps so good i forgot that i was only napping.

hoping i have several thousand naps left in me. maybe should be keeping a nap journal for reminiscing when older and my naps start to blur together into one long nap. which doesn't sound all bad either. i can imagine being tired enough to no longer want to get up between naps.

Default Re: what about naps

firm believer in naps here
    as a matter im about to have a sugar crash nap in 3... 2... 1...
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It might surprise some of you but I take about 4-5 naps a week. Since I wake up at 5:00 AM most days by about 3:00 PM I can use an hour or so refresh.

This is my nap place, it's our daybed out on our deck overlooking the pool

IMG_5988.jpg

I'm usually joined by Ella and on most weekends we are joined by Renee

IMG_6349.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Naps are good, and important - I've gotten to where I can 'drift off' while sitting in a chair. Military training was good for learning how to sleep with one eye open (not kidding ) When my wife was seriously ill and on an oxygen concentrator, I was able to sleep, all the while listening for changes in her breathing with my right ear and monitoring the oxygen concentrator with the left ear ( it had a moisture trap filter which had to be emptied at regular intervals).

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

I'm 67 and I find I nap more in the last 2 years and I sleep less at night to even it out.

I don't know why, but it works for me!

In fact, sometime in the next hour I'll take a 20 minute nap that will make a world of difference to my energy level.

Also, I nap sitting up.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    they say that nobody on their death bed regrets not working more hours.

I can imagine being tired enough to no longer want to get up between naps.
    "They" are often wrong. I worked 15 hours this week and I enjoyed it. I look forward to being healthy enough to work as much as I want.

I think one of the last naps I took was while out paddling. Slept while others ate lunch.
    Life is complex.

As they say- "You can nap when you're dead". Meanwhile there's lot's to do: boats to fix, varnish to sand, etc. Cheers/ JC

Nap every day, almost always very close to 45 minutes, usually on the couch. I check the time, turn off my phone, take out my hearing aids and glasses, and I’m out in five. Usually early afternoon, but time of start varies.

Naps are the bomb.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Makes you think that maybe the Euro's have it right with their siesta ethic/ lifestyle.

Naps are good in moderation, but if taking them frequently becomes the norm you owe yourself getting tested for apnea. When you don't breathe well when you're sleeping overnight your body's not getting enough oxygen which can and often does negatively affect your other organ systems, cardio-pulmonary the biggest. If you're living with apnea (snore much?) and are unaware, naps may be the first sign you should get tested for it.

I start watching something on Youtube and then realise that the clip on the screen isn't the one I started watching. How many clips in a row do you sleep through before it becomes just sleeping in your chair and not a nap?

I always thought that naps were what staff meeting were for.
    Last edited by Hugh MacD; 12-07-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Cool Re: what about naps

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Naps in my recliner after lunch are a wonderful thing.
    My wife hates napping. She can relax with a book or a crossword puzzle but doesn't like to nod off.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I've been taking daily lunchtime 5-15 minute naps since March 2020 when I may have had Covid(no testing at the time. I was very sick.
    I'm wide eyed at 5 every morning,bedtime 1030-ish
    Weekends,I might get 30-45 min.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Awake at 5.30, bed usually 11-to midnight.
    But I'll often take 10-20 minues or so half-napping (my ears are awake) before dinner. A skill I developed early listening to classical music so as not to be distracted. Useful too when XC skiing/hiking/climbing/distance driving. A 10 minute refresher can be very beneficial.

I am an early riser... between 4:30 and 5:30 am daily. My dog is used to going outside for relief before eating every morning at 6:00 am. I enjoy a good nap. I do not desire a nap every day. But I nap when my body tells me it needs a recharge. I try my best to pay attention to my body.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    "They" are often wrong. I worked 15 hours this week and I enjoyed it. I look forward to being healthy enough to work as much as I want.

I think one of the last naps I took was while out paddling. Slept while others ate lunch.
    see? no one can take that memory of a nap away from you.

What’s the most unusual place you have taken a nap?

my dog often joins me for naps
    she's a bit of a bed hog
    also snores and farts
    alot

6B8F7AEC-F019-42A5-888E-DC9AC5411C9A.jpg

mostly she's a pretty good sleeper though
    especially in the winter
    she puts out a lot of heat
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    On watch,alone,standing up,0200, crossing Georgian Bay (flat calm)in a loud Wittholz trawler at 7 knots.
    I woke up while starting to fall into the companionway.
    SWMBO was below, drugged up with horrible toothache.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Atop the Truss in the theatre I work at, waiting to be hoisted to the sky so I could focus it.

There is just no better feeling than a nap on company time.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

There’s work to be done!

Power naps. Anywhere from about 20 minutes to 45 minutes. Had a roommate in college that was a pro. Would start to get dozy about 7-ish after dinner while studying. He could lie down for about 15-20 minutes, wake up without any intervention and go back to studying.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I love my Ekornes Stressless chair and ottoman, and especially my lap robe which I had Shutterfly print one of my photos on:

ELF ©IMG_1130a.jpg

It's big enough to be a twin bed blanket, and very toasty for naps.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I nap for a short time many afternoons. Back when I was salmon trolling, we would sleep whenever we had a few minutes.

I knew an Alaskan king crabber who would start the winch to pull up the crab pot and sleep until the pot surfaced. It would bump the hull and wake him up.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Coming home with my Dad in his old Austin truck in the dark, after a particularly long and hard day cutting firewood. I was hungry and Dad said there was probably still food in the tucker bag- and old pillow case he carried his food and utensils in every day. Arrived home to find me sound asleep with my arm inside the pillow case and my hand inside a loaf of bread I can shut the world out and nap when in the doctors waiting room. Something I've always been glad of. I loathe waiting rooms. JayInOz

I tend to fall asleep in the dentist’s chair, but maybe the most unusual was a couple decades ago when I used to rope up and repel down the 300’ cliff in our back yard. Coming back up with prusik slings one time, I stopped halfway up to turn and admire the view and fell asleep for a while.

Ummm...driving across Kansas. Was watching a lightning storm at night on the horizon and it was suddenly behind me. Good thing it wasn't Colorado.

My Grandpa Carl Peterson took naps between after lunch work and before evening milking of his retirement herd.
    His back was so arthritic that the only time he looked like he was standing straight was when he was going up hill.
    The only nap I want is a dirt nap.

I thought this was about those tangles behind The Devilís ears if we donít brush her.

My mother's father, who founded an engineering company, would come home for lunch and then duck into his study, take off his coat and shoes, and enjoy a nap on the sofa in his vest (gold watchchain visible), with a clean handkerchief over his eyes.

I take a half-hour nap after lunch. It's nice in winter, with low sun coming through the window. The dog hops up beside me and rests his head on my thigh, while I rub his ears.

I dream a lot at night, but naps are dreamless. A blissful oblivion.

Approximately 17 minutes every afternoon around 3 pm, rain or shine. Gray couch. I know the office workers across the hall can hear me snoring. Thatís how you know itís a quality nap.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

All the time. Usually a 10-15 minute recharge. 0n rare occasion, its a an hour or more. I awaken from those longer naps not knowing where I am or what time of day it is.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.