Thread: Winter tires question

Default Winter tires question

Was planning on driving in snow next week. What tires do you run in winter? I have summer tires on the car and will need to switch over.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Winter tires question

nokian

hands down the best
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta

Best snow tires in the world.

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/pa...-winter-tires/
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

the Hakkas are great.

I've also had good experience with michelin x-ice.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Nokian's are good. I have had WRG4's since 2020 and they got me through the last 2 snowy Utah winters.

I just put Michelin CrossClimate 2's on our other car. Looking forward to testing them on our next big snow. I expected them to be noisy, but they are not

They have a radical tread pattern:

These are both true 4-season tires, and unlike most winter-only tires, they have a 60,000 mile tread life warranty.

Before 2020, I was changing out winter/summer tires each year, but I found that they got too old to be serviced before the tread wore out.

Both are spendy. Lots of online reviews/comparisons.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

Goodyear.

Can’t you wait until they plow it?

I have these but the rubber is too old.

Like Dave, we just switched out to Michelin Cross Climate 2’s. They’ve done well although so far I haven’t driven in snow more than two or three inches deep.
    The problem with true winter tires is the tread wears out very quickly if you’re driving in temps above 7 C/ 45 F.

I have only used all season tires on my SUVs. winter tires are strange to me. Putting different tires on my 911 will require a second set of smaller rims and maybe adding a 2" lift.

Michelin x ice
    Hercules Avalanche
    Bridgestone (?)Blizzak
    Cooper Discoverer

All quiet and reasonably priced.

I had awesome Hakkapelittas once,but no one around here sells them.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Back when I used to run up to the mountain regularly, I put Blizzak's on every Fall.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Nokian's are good. I have had WRG4's since 2020 and they got me through the last 2 snowy Utah winters.

I just put Michelin CrossClimate 2's on our other car. Looking forward to testing them on our next big snow. I expected them to be noisy, but they are not

These are both true 4-season tires, and unlike most winter-only tires, they have a 60,000 mile tread life warranty.

Before 2020, I was changing out winter/summer tires each year, but I found that they got too old to be serviced before the tread wore out.

I did the same - though on my Subie, they're noisier than I had hoped. But it's a reasonable trade-off.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I have only used all season tires on my SUVs. winter tires are strange to me. Putting different tires on my 911 will require a second set of smaller rims and maybe adding a 2" lift.
    Are you going to add a trailer hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Are you going to add a trailer hitch?
    Seriously thinking about it. I recognized that i will not be able to maintain the car to any semblance show level and it has become a daily driver. It is the only car I own and suffers from the torture of urban life.

Bridgestone's Blizzaks. Had a set of four on alloys since 1998 on a used Grande Voyager, same for the MINIS I been driving since '02, same for wife's since she bought an S Cabrio late in '06.

I have a set of four new WS-90's on a FedEx truck inbound today for the Imprezza I traded for last Oct. Seems 4WD needs tires exactly the same on all four corners or stuff can happen with all the spinny bits 'tween engine & wheel hubs. I wuz gonna run the set of WS's I took of my Clubman before trading but the fronts were 1/16" less tread than the rears so those'll go on wife's MINI next winter.
    They have bartered their birthright for a mess of pottage.

William Blake (1757-1827)

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Blizzacks or Michelin X Ice
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

PXL_20221103_211824739.jpg

Chains over a set of really old big O A/T tires. Passed three trucks that didn't make it past the first switchback, they had really nice tires though.

On my 2 wheel drive S-10 Blazer, I outfitted it with Firestone Town & Country Mud / Snow tires - this was in Minnesota back in the 1990's , I had a 900 foot driveway, and the front tires would break loose. So I had a pair put on the front as well. That Blazer would go almost anywhere. When my Dad gave up driving a couple years later, he shipped his 4WD S-10 Blazer to me, and I had a set of the Firestones installed on it.
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

My sisters Porsche 914 - 1.8L. Drove out to a ski resort in SD black hills - and there was a steep drive up to the parking lot of the lodge. A line of pickups and jeeps ahead of us, couldn't make the hill- it was packed snow/ice. After watching them run at it, then slide back down, I 'got impatient', and drove around the line - and that car (mid engine; don't know what AS tires it had) just walked up with no problem at all. Had a bunch of folk walk over wondering WTH is that?

Weight distribution really helps.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post

I've got WR G4s on our CR-V. They're great. Not quite as good in the rain as I would like here in Seattle, though a big part of that is Seattle's fondness for exposed aggregate concrete paving. After 10 or 15 years, the exposed aggregate gets polished in the tire tracks, so it's rather like driving on a terrazzo floor.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    nokian

hands down the best
    the most sensible thing you have ever said..

Got the call from our tire place that they have our snow tires back from storage (Blizzaks).

Love the snow/ice traction.

Hate the noise/ride quality/gas mileage.

Oh well. Life is full of compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    My sisters Porsche 914 - 1.8L. Drove out to a ski resort in SD black hills - and there was a steep drive up to the parking lot of the lodge. A line of pickups and jeeps ahead of us, couldn't make the hill- it was packed snow/ice. After watching them run at it, then slide back down, I 'got impatient', and drove around the line - and that car (mid engine; don't know what AS tires it had) just walked up with no problem at all. Had a bunch of folk walk over wondering WTH is that?

Weight distribution really helps.
    There’s a lot of truth to that. We loved our Honda Odyssey, but it was the absolute worst in the snow.

just put a set of Toyo Open Country A/T III on a Ranger and am quite impressed with them on mud & wet grass on a slope - both too common in the Ranger's daily. still waiting for snow, but I expect they'll be fine. ice is a whole 'nother story, got chains? (-:

toyo-tire-open-country-a-t-iii-215-166.jpg

The MICHELIN X-Ice snow are very good from my experience. General motors customer service on this website also recommends it like one of the best options for winter. Might be especially helpful for those guys, who live in a mountain areas and experience a huge amount of snowfalls. Of course it is different if you live in the city and always drive the clean roads instead. In this case there is no need to worry about the best tires ever.
    Last edited by mike9199; 12-13-2022 at 05:17 AM.

Blizzaks all the way! I've had them on my Honda Ridgeline for 16 years and nothing has stopped them in these Northern Michigan winters.
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

I run the all season tires that the truck came with. Of course I never drive on snowy roads, but that is because I have a snow plow on my truck.

Nokians are very good - but more expensive than many that are just as good. Three things to note about snow tires: 1) softer rubber is better as you get better traction, though shorter tread life, 2) you want a tread pattern that does not have circumferential grooves - they provide zero traction, & 3) for snow you want skinny tires - wide tires float on top (which is why they're good in sand) & narrower tires dig down - what you want in snow.

I currently run Hankook snows on our cars & have been very happy with them. Similar tread to Nokians, but 30-40% less in cost. General Altimax are also good.

No idea what sizes you're running, but TireRack has the Generals:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's a link to Hankooks:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-W...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green