Thread: Verily, the word of the Lord (v.2.0)

Default Verily, the word of the Lord (v.2.0)

The Brilliance and Weirdness of ChatGPT

A new chatbot from OpenAI is inspiring awe, fear, stunts and attempts to circumvent its guardrails.

Kevin Roose
    Dec. 5, 2022

Like most nerds who read science fiction, I’ve spent a lot of time wondering how society will greet true artificial intelligence, if and when it arrives. Will we panic? Start sucking up to our new robot overlords? Ignore it and go about our daily lives?

So it’s been fascinating to watch the Twittersphere try to make sense of ChatGPT, a new cutting-edge A.I. chatbot that was opened for testing last week.

ChatGPT is, quite simply, the best artificial intelligence chatbot ever released to the general public. It was built by OpenAI, the San Francisco A.I. company that is also responsible for tools like GPT-3 and DALL-E 2, the breakthrough image generator that came out this year.

Like those tools, ChatGPT — which stands for “generative pre-trained transformer” — landed with a splash. In five days, more than a million people signed up to test it, according to Greg Brockman, OpenAI’s president. Hundreds of screenshots of ChatGPT conversations went viral on Twitter, and many of its early fans speak of it in astonished, grandiose terms, as if it were some mix of software and sorcery.

For most of the past decade, A.I. chatbots have been terrible — impressive only if you cherry-pick the bot’s best responses and throw out the rest. In recent years, a few A.I. tools have gotten good at doing narrow and well-defined tasks, like writing marketing copy, but they still tend to flail when taken outside their comfort zones. (Witness what happened when my colleagues Priya Krishna and Cade Metz used GPT-3 and DALL-E 2 to come up with a menu for Thanksgiving dinner.)

But ChatGPT feels different. Smarter. Weirder. More flexible. It can write jokes (some of which are actually funny), working computer code and college-level essays. It can also guess at medical diagnoses, create text-based Harry Potter games and explain scientific concepts at multiple levels of difficulty . . . .Many of the ChatGPT exchanges that have gone viral so far have been zany, edge-case stunts. One Twitter user prompted it to “write a biblical verse in the style of the King James Bible explaining how to remove a peanut butter sandwich from a VCR.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/05/t...e=articleShare

Default Re: Verily, the word of the Lord (v.2.0)

Proving, that if you do get a peanut butter sandwich stuck in your VCR, it will require divine intervention to restore the VCR's functionality.

If you thought that photoshop destroyed a photograph as evidence, you wait till an AI generated witness testifies at a trial……………………… and then of course can it be trusted that the whole setup, judge and jury, are not AI generated?

I was wondering what that news was about. Chat bots. My three year old grandaughter is my chat bot.

Someone should ask that bot to give itself a better name.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Holy moly, that VCR/peanut butter piece was remarkable.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

we are on our way to deep fake people. our favorites will never have to die.

I read somewhere the other day that "chat" is a bit of slang that emerged in WW1. It's a corruption of a word (IIRC) that the troops from India used to describe lice. Of which there were zillions breeding among the troops in the trenches.

A "chat" was literally a bunch of soldiers sitting down and talking as they tried to de-louse themselves and each other, picking the bugs out of the seams of their uniforms.

Seems appropriate that AI Chatbots were pretty lousy.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott