Thread: Even cops accidentally kill each other.

Default Even cops accidentally kill each other.

Its insanity to suggest that the presence of a gun makes you safer. Even with trained professionals, adding a gun to any given situation makes that situation less safe.

the more guns society can eliminate, the better off that society will be.

https://www.wesh.com/article/brevard...lled/42144453#

In a video on Facebook, Ivey said Walsh and his roommate, Deputy Andrew Lawson were at a home in Palm Bay early Saturday morning when the shooting occurred.
    "He and Austin had taken a break from playing an online game with a number of their friends and were just kind of standing around talking. Lawson was holding a handgun, which he believed he had unloaded and at one point in their conversation, Lawson, thinking that the gun was unloaded, jokingly pointed the gun in Austin's direction and pulled the trigger," Ivey said.
    Ivey said a single round was fired and struck Walsh, killing him.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Re: Even cops accidentally kill each other.

Incredibly discouraging when LE - those who should have the most training - break rule #1. So stupid.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

inexcusable
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Even cops accidentally kill each other.

Does not sound like an accidental shooting to me. He aimed and he pulled the trigger. I thought the first rule is not to point the gun at anything you do not intend to kill. Hmmm. . . sounds like intent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Florida Man

Funny, as in peculiar, sense of humor.

Sounds more like a lover's quarrel covered up by a good story.

Either way, I read threads like this and the idea that keeps coming to my mind is "Every gun owner is certain they are too smart to be stupid with a gun, which is the same thing every stupid gun owner also thinks."
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Does not sound like an accidental shooting to me. He aimed and he pulled the trigger. I thought the first rule is not to point the gun at anything you do not intend to kill. Hmmm. . . sounds like intent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe not, it's the cap gun reaction, learned at a very early age.

"According to the affidavit, Lawson was handling what he thought was an unloaded Glock 34 semi-automatic pistol and then “pointed the firearm at Walsh and pulled the trigger. The firearm did not go off.”

But that affidavit states Lawson kept going, believing that the gun was unloaded, “Lawson again pointed the firearm at Walsh and pulled the trigger for a second time.

The weapon fired one shot hitting Walsh in the head."

DSE

I vaguely remember being 23, immersed in building scenery and running shows we did a lot of stupid stuff, but point guns at each other, much less pull the trigger? Not so much. Whoever does the hiring for that department needs to do a better job screening out the idiots.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    "According to the affidavit, Lawson was handling what he thought was an unloaded Glock 34 semi-automatic pistol and then “pointed the firearm at Walsh and pulled the trigger. The firearm did not go off.”

But that affidavit states Lawson kept going, believing that the gun was unloaded, “Lawson again pointed the firearm at Walsh and pulled the trigger for a second time.

The weapon fired one shot hitting Walsh in the head."
    so a striker fired 'glock safe action pistol' misfired on the first trigger pull then fired on the second? without having cycled the action?

what are the chances of that?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Does anyone suspect 'malted beverages' may have been involved ? ?
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

As someone who was narrowly missed (a matter of inches ) when being relieved by a sleep-deprived watchstander ( M1911A1 - slapped in a full magazine before he released the slide ) , I understand how it 'could' happen, but TWO trigger pulls without clearing the weapon ? Too much inexcusable stuff documented here . .

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so a striker fired 'glock safe action pistol' misfired on the first trigger pull then fired on the second? without having cycled the action?

what are the chances of that?
    Zero, zip, nada.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Brevard County - where I grew up in Melbourne Beach. I read an article that Brevard was #1 in the country for J6 arrests - Red+ ! Space Coast.

Gunny sez:
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Zero, zip, nada.
    Yep. I don't have a ton of experience, but I've never seen a Glock misfire like that. I'm guessing that what's missing from the affidavit is that the first time he pulled the trigger the chamber was empty, so, 'click.' Then he racked the slide either a) not knowing there was a loaded mag in the gun and wanting another click or b) knowing there was a loaded mag in the gun and wanting to kill his 'friend.'

Shouldn't releasing the slide on a 1911, with the magazine in place, merely chamber the top round?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Shouldn't releasing the slide on a 1911, with the magazine in place, merely chamber the top round?
    It would, and does - 'compounding the felony' was the watchstander using the trigger to drop the hammer down - which will fire a chambered cartridge, every single time

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Does anyone suspect 'malted beverages' may have been involved ? ?
    I was just going suggest that a drop o'the pure (or three) might have had something to do with it.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)