Thread: Removing Electronics During The Winter This Could Change My Mind

Default Removing Electronics During The Winter This Could Change My Mind

Have always been a believer, remove electronics from the boat during Minnesota winters. This is from the manual and specs of Lowrance Gen 3 12" screen.

Operating Temperature Range5F to 131F (-15C to 55C )
    Storage Temperature Range-40F to 185F (-40C to 85C )

Just might change my mind....

Default Re: Removing Electronics During The Winter This Could Change My Mind

Is it hard to pull the screen? If it's not, I'd think storage with less extreme temps would be good. Not that it ever gets cold in Minnysoda of course.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

It's not the temperature so much that causes electronics problems. It's humidity and corrosion. Semi-annual connection checks for corrosion can extend the life.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

I always bring electronics and compasses home for the winter. Compasses are susceptible to the temperature swings under a winter cover; the copper expansion plate can get fatigued. Of course none of my electronics or compasses are built into anything.

Back around 10 years we had some TackTick instruments - they actually recommended some silicon grease on all electrical connections. Have been doing that since then on the boat and never had a problem with corrosion since. Not sure I would do that with high current like battery terminals, but for electronics, it seems to work.

I would be concerned about UV light and also about freezing moisture or water. If the boat is stored dry, I would not be too concerned about taking the electronics off the boat. In the end, hobby marine electronics seem to last 20 to 30 years only anyway.