Thread: Screws for McKenzie River Drift Boat

Default Screws for McKenzie River Drift Boat

Hello,

Building a 17ft drift boat from Don Hill plans. It calls for 3/4', 1", and 1.5" in screws. Most of them are going through 1/4" or 1/2'" Meranti Hydrotek. Should I use fully threaded screws or traditional wood screws with a partially smooth shank?

And where to buy them online?

Thanks!

-Will-

Default Re: Screws for McKenzie River Drift Boat

I'd stick with traditional wood screws with a full-size shank.

Don recommends square-drive SS screws. Those are readily available in fully-threaded straight-shank screws. That's what I would use.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Don recommends square-drive SS screws. Those are readily available in fully-threaded straight-shank screws. That's what I would use.
    Only if the ply is glued in place, and I would still be unhappy about the slack fit of the screw in the plywood allowing in damp.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Only if the ply is glued in place, and I would still be unhappy about the slack fit of the screw in the plywood allowing in damp.
    It's a plywood drift dory held together with 5200. Most of its life will be spent sitting on a trailer, and the rest of the time it'll be crashing down rivers bouncing off the rocks. Ring shank nails might be the best option.

You can get screws in pretty much any config from Jamestown Distributing. Here's a chart on screw sizes from an old "RUDDER" magazine...might help.
    Deck Screw Sizes from old mag.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    It's a plywood drift dory held together with 5200. Most of its life will be spent sitting on a trailer, and the rest of the time it'll be crashing down rivers bouncing off the rocks. Ring shank nails might be the best option.
    ++1

Hello

I'm also building a Don Hill boat 16 (Standard). The plans seem to have lots of issues? As far as the screws. You should be using a countersink for pre-drilling all the holes? The screws are 18-8 #8 size screws. The countersink should therefore be a #8. This will give you a lead that matches the screw and full threaded shank screws will fill the hole tighter than ones that not fully threaded. The square (Robertson) head screws are just easier to drive. Basically these short screws are SS sheet metal screw. Fastenal, Richelieu, and I think Amazon will have them. How far along are you in the build?