Thread: Indonesia: no hanky-panky

Default Indonesia: no hanky-panky

Default Re: Indonesia: no hanky-panky

make america great again

Oddly, Djakarta is known for its red light district.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I saw a graph somewhere that showed the growth in per capita alcohol consumption in the USA before, during and after Prohibition. Before, a modest upward slope. During, no data.

Projecting the before line hypothetically through the during period till it reached the after period, the beginning of the new line was displaced upward significantly from the expected point and was steeper as well. IOW Prohibition created new drinkers faster and caused per capita alcohol consumption to rise. Both. Oops.

There are obvious differences to extra-marital and unmarried sex, but I bet that the forbidden fruit thing nevertheless plays a significant role.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

From the linked article:
    The law, if passed, would apply to Indonesian citizens and foreigners alike.

Better bring your marriage certificatealong with passport I guess.

Business groups have expressed concern about the damage the rules might do to Indonesia's image as a holiday and investment destination, according to Reuters.

You think? There are some states in this country I won't be supporting with my tourist dollars in the foreseeable future because of their backward social policies, definitely not heading off to Indonesia now.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I’m just wondering if this Muslim rule of behaviour, made into a law, will apply to Bali, which is iirc Hindu?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

^ Government there is secular but all parliaments have nutty fringes. This has been attempted there before but failed. Likely the same again.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Besserwisser; 12-03-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Salamat merdeka!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Well. Prisons are a growth industry, I guess.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    From the linked article:
    The law, if passed, would apply to Indonesian citizens and foreigners alike.

Better bring your marriage certificatealong with passport I guess.

Business groups have expressed concern about the damage the rules might do to Indonesia's image as a holiday and investment destination, according to Reuters.

You think? There are some states in this country I won't be supporting with my tourist dollars in the foreseeable future because of their backward social policies, definitely not heading off to Indonesia now.
    Just for the hell of it, I emailed the Indonesian embassy yesterday, my partner and I are legally separated, have been for a decade and a half but sort of drifted back together and regularly holiday or travel together. I asked if it would be legal for us to sleep together under the new laws as we'd like to visit Bali again.
    Lets see what the reply is.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I wish they would outlaw religion instead. Do a helluva lot more good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    It has been enacted into law
    Yes I saw; seems the conservatives are muscling up. President Widodo has a period in which he can cancel the law by regulation but he's between the dog and the fire hydrant. The next little while will be worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Just for the hell of it, I emailed the Indonesian embassy yesterday, my partner and I are legally separated, have been for a decade and a half but sort of drifted back together and regularly holiday or travel together. I asked if it would be legal for us to sleep together under the new laws as we'd like to visit Bali again.
    Lets see what the reply is.

John Welsford
    [I] had a very non committal reply from the Embassy saying that the law had not been passed, but that they'd inform me when and if it was.
    But I hear that those involved in the tourism industry there, particularly in Bali are lobbying hard to get the law diluted, as in, "any charges would only be brought as a result of a family member putting a formal complaint about the behaviour of a spouse, sister or brother, to the police.

Tourism is the lifeblood of Bali, its one of the most popular holiday destinations on the planet and people have literally been starving while the pandemic shut that down.
    We were there three years ago and had a very good time, would I go back? Well, it was my partners turn to pick where we went, I'd not have chosen it but it was certainly interesting and different.

I'm possibly heading to the Amacho islands in Japan next year. I'd be staying with Keiko and Howard Rice and getting involved with their work there. That should be fun.

John Welsford
    Lets see what happens,
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.