Thread: What I get paid for:

Default What I get paid for:

This just showed up; thought it might be of some interest. The video shows the 'sandwich maker', a custom door assembly machine I designed a while ago, maybe six or eight years, for the Oshkosh Door Company. There's a roll-coater upstream that puts glue on the top surface of the door skins, and downstream it runs thought a ten-roller pneumatic press to stick it all together. Fairly straightforward, really, about one door a minute; the cute part is that it handles a wide range of sizes with not much changeover. It really should have had an automated stacker at the output end, but they didn't want to spend the money. They're selling the line, apparently, and this is a video from the machinery broker, so it might disappear once it's sold.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 12-02-2022 at 09:17 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Default Re: What I get paid for:

Good stuff.
    I work with some automation products, but in applications which barely scratch the surface of what the tech can really do. Every so often I come upon a system that goes deep beneath that surface and I'm blown away.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Slow.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

That's very cool and surprisingly calm. Thank you for sharing that.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

clever. and nice and quiet for an industrial process. like making copies. [insert snl clip]

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Slow.
    probably just exactly as fast as it needs to be. there are things happening before and after. no sense speeding one automated process that outpaces any others.

very cool. Thx Keith!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Nice.

Slow.
    I'll bet that faster would dent the edges of the skins and produce sloppy placements that result in a poorer product. A faster conveyor would probably require a longer oven to heat the glue which adds cost. I'll bet the speed is right for the process.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Slow.
    I prefer 'stately'. The speed is determined by the roll coater applying the glue upstream. And faster costs more.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Well... you gonna show the the edge banding? The hole cutting? The finishing?
    Or you gonna leave us hanging?

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Well... you gonna show the the edge banding? The hole cutting? The finishing? Or you gonna leave us hanging?
    I didn't have anything to do with that, and that's the only video I know about. Edge-banding is pretty standard equipment; this was a complete one-off. I didn't even see the finishing section, in fact; that was at the other end of the factory

Richard Feynman

Very impressive but I didn't realize slab doors were a thing any more.

Very cool

Nifty materials-handling gizmo.

I assume it's not precise enough that the skins are applied net/net... but require later trimming. That seems like it would be a huge ask.

Am I seeing that right... the company is building solid-core doors with OSB edging? That would be hugely lame.

Thanks for sharing. Production engineering is always interesting for me.

WAIT!!! Are you telling us you don't get paid just for showing up with your inspirational good looks and charming personality?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Brag much ??

Humor alert - just kidding.

Thanks for the interesting post !!

I use an expired credit card to spread Titebond II. Kind of messy and it always feels hurried. Once I cut notches in the edge of the card. Not worth it that I saw.
    One of Dostoyevsky's favorite words, often used ironically, was "fact" (fakt, a harsh-sounding foreign loan word in the Russian language) . . .

William Mills Todd, Introduction to Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Idiot (1868) Penguin Books edition 2004.