Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pothole F&$@

Default Pothole F&$@

Anyone ever had any luck getting a municipality to cover pothole damage?
    Sitting here with two flats from a monster pothole. Roadside assistance is over an hour out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Default Re: Pothole F&$@

If you could document that it had been reported to the city maybe. That definitely sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    If you could document that it had been reported to the city maybe. That definitely sucks.

It has an older repair already so they knew of an issue obviously. The road is clearly in disrepair.

Tom

No way. Sorry.

Around here we have over ten thousand kilometres of roads which have just endured up to a dozen major flood events. From small potholes to entire roads washed away. I drove nearly three hundred kilometres yesterday morning- was home by 10.20am- went to pick up a Ferguson mouldboard plough I bought in an online farm auction. Road crews working everywhere fixing the worst of it as quick as they can. I was following a Nissan Patrol in one section and he hit a washout so hard that the back end of his vehicle bounced right up in the air- obviously frightened crap out of the driver Check out the video- https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ructure-crisis JayInOz

My guess would be:
    Fat chance.
    But I'm no lawyer.
    By the way, that sharp-cornered monster looks a lot like the one that ate a tire and destroyed a rim on a lightly-loaded trailer I was towing on a late Sunday night fifty years ago. I have never forgotten that experience and it is the reason I now keep my trailer tires inflated near maximum pressure regardless of the trailer's load. I say let the tires do the rolling and the springs do the springing. None of my boats appear to have suffered as a result.

OOOOh no not your cool EV ?

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I gotta work on it. Township resurfaced pavement in good order whereas Rome Rd. is broken down Tar and Pea gravel.

Not saying the roads shouldn't be fixed, but do you perchance have low profile tires on 18-20 inch rims? Lots of those get flatted/dented where a normal tire wouldn't.

Default Pothole F&$@

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Not saying the roads shouldn't be fixed, but do you perchance have low profile tires on 18-20 inch rims? Lots of those get flatted/dented where a normal tire wouldn't.

18 inch Stock wheels and tires. The car parked in the grass ahead of me has two flat tires and they look to be 15 inch with plenty of sidewall. Pretty sure it would not have mattered this time.

Tom

I 'feel your pain' , Tom - I lived in Philadelphia during the runup to the Bicentennial ( one would think they'd 'spruce up' all the roads in anticipation of loads of visitors [?] ) , and during a rainstorm, I hit a large pothole - unseen under the water - which caused the Fiat 850 Spyder roadster I was driving to literally fold and jam the doors shut. I had to junk the car.
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

NYC and New York State both will reimburse drivers for damage sustained from potholes.Roads owned by localities vary.

Reimbursement is not automatic, of course, there is a process. The key things are that the DOT knew about the pothole before the accident.Secondly, the owner or driver needs to prove the damage occurred because of the pothole, so get a police report, get the contact info from others who's vehicles were damaged, etc.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The fact that another vehicle was similarly disabled might help. Take the plate number and contact the owner.

The only successful claim I know of was an incident on I84 several years ago in which a road crew stopped work for the day and left a particularly harsh transition between old and new road surface (might have been an expansion joint thing, can't quite remember). I think it disabled 5 vehicles before the police closed the lane, and some ambitious lawyer turned those 5 vehicles into a class-action.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

There is a steel plated open excavation on the outside of a bad turn next town over. It is marked with "BUMP". It has been plated for months and months. My wife hits it every single time she goes by. Well, my daughter hit it last week when she was home on break and took out my tire pressure sensor. I bitched to the DPW via email, but nothing but crickets. I noticed lately the plate has moved and is not entirely covering the open excavation. Great.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

I’d get a can of flourescent paint and mark it every month.

The reddit folks report good success with painting the pothole with spray paint. Mostly in the shape of large male genitals. People complain and the crews are better equipped to fix the hole than to pressure wash.

2 flats suck. NH? Contact your state rep. But be careful, he’s probably packing heat. Live free or die man.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    The reddit folks report good success with painting the pothole with spray paint. Mostly in the shape of large male genitals. People complain and the crews are better equipped to fix the hole than to pressure wash.
    when i was growing up there was giant deep pothole on our road
    one day on my way to school i and everybody else on my schoolbus noted someone had planted a tree in the pothole
    that afternoon on the way home it had been repaired
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    There is a steel plated open excavation on the outside of a bad turn next town over. It is marked with "BUMP". It has been plated for months and months. My wife hits it every single time she goes by. Well, my daughter hit it last week when she was home on break and took out my tire pressure sensor.
    The tire pressure sensors are in the valve stems. The tire shop ought to be able to replace the stems for pretty cheap. I do believe they've got to remove the tire from the rim, though, and likely re-balance the wheel.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Around here, "pothole repair" seems to consist of a crew shoveling some cold patch into the hole and having the biggest guy on the crew jump up and down on the cold patch to tamp it down with his boots.

That usually blows out in a few weeks and then they [eventually] repeat. There are potholes where multiple such "repairs" are visible.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

What Nick said is true here also. Only they take the additional step of rolling a truck over the patch.
    Our street is so bad, the city says it’s in failure. It was first paved with bricks, in the 1920s they poured concrete but didn’t use rebar back then. Now the concrete is full of patches and potholes. At least we don’t have to deal with speeders.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

About getting money out of it - finding out of it is possible is the first question, the second question is how much hassle it is going to be and the third one is whether it is worth the hassle ...

The Costa Ricans (Ticos) have some very good pothole humor . .

https://pejibayedotorg.wordpress.com...travel-portal/

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I’d be embarrassed to do that but probably most effective. Maybe a little orange cone and flower petals around it.

I was successful, back in 1976 or so. A pothole crunched one of the stamped steel rims on my 1970 MGB... the city fully reimbursed me for it.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Anyone ever had any luck getting a municipality to cover pothole damage?
    Sitting here with two flats from a monster pothole. Roadside assistance is over an hour out.

You might be able to file an insurance claim. If there was a way to go after the municipality the insurance company would know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dikhaut View Post
    You might be able to file an insurance claim. If there was a way to go after the municipality the insurance company would know how to do it.

I believe insurers like to class pothole claims as collisions (e.g., your vehicle collided with the surface of the road), rather than covering it under comprehensive as they would if your windshield got cracked by a rock thrown up by another vehicle.

That means (1) you now have a collision on your insurance record, and (2) you're on the hook for the deductible . . . which likely means you'll get little if anything from the claim. Aand your premiums might increase due to the "collision".

Wanksy has a pothole solution that is getting attention...

In NYC, some years ago, the personal injury lawyers started documenting all of the sidewalk heaves, cracks, potholes, etc. and sending the information to the city government. Then they started winning suits against the city, since it had been duly notified of the problem.

Wanksy was inspired to pick up the spray can after several of his friends got into bike accidents on badly maintained roads. “I wanted to attract attention to the pothole and make it memorable. Nothing seemed to do this better than a giant comedy phallus,” he told the Manchester Evening News.
    I was tempted to do something a little different in Annapolis. The mall parking lot had gutter drainage covers with slots oriented in the direction of traffic a perfect width to catch a bicycle wheel. I was going to get a 20” wheel bike and jam the front wheel down into the slots.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    2 flats suck. NH? Contact your state rep. But be careful, he’s probably packing heat. Live free or die man.

Georgia. Even more likely to be packing heat.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    NYC and New York State both will reimburse drivers for damage sustained from potholes.Roads owned by localities vary.

Reimbursement is not automatic, of course, there is a process. The key things are that the DOT knew about the pothole before the accident.Secondly, the owner or driver needs to prove the damage occurred because of the pothole, so get a police report, get the contact info from others who's vehicles were damaged, etc.

Kevin
    Wish I knew how to contact the other damaged vehicle but all I have is a tag number. Not searchable as far as I know.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Wish I knew how to contact the other damaged vehicle but all I have is a tag number. Not searchable as far as I know.
    Again, here in NY State, license plate registration data is considered public information and there is a form and a process and a small fee to find out who owns what plate. This is done through the a DMV. YMMV vary by state.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Car is fixed. Tires were ok. Both rims bent. Took both rims to a same day repair center that did it for 250 in Luis g removing and remounting tires. Need to get the alignment check but other than that seems to be fine.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    I 'feel your pain' , Tom - I lived in Philadelphia during the runup to the Bicentennial ( one would think they'd 'spruce up' all the roads in anticipation of loads of visitors [?] ) , and during a rainstorm, I hit a large pothole - unseen under the water - which caused the Fiat 850 Spyder roadster I was driving to literally fold and jam the doors shut. I had to junk the car.
    Remember the wonderful signs that Mayor Rizzo had put up? 'This is a STATE HIGHWAY, not a City Street. Philadelphia is not responsible for pothole repairs.', or something to that effect. The one that drove me nuts was on Wissahickon Ave., which affected the stretch beside the Nat'l Guard Armory, the uphill from there to Midvale and then down to the Wissahickon Creek. Hubcap Heaven